Advantage and Disadvantage or PoE in a CCTV system?

Hi,

I want to hear from you people what are the advantages and disadvantages of a PoE supplied CCTV system? Many thanks!

Other than the higher cost of a PoE switch (which offsets the cost of a separate power supply and separate power wiring anyway), I can't think of any disadvantages to it...

PoE is really great. We use it for our IP phone system at work. We always have issues with cheaper power adapters failing, and have been slowly putting in PoE switches into each workroom. The cost of the switches has gone down a lot in the last couple of years.

The only problem might be too big a load for the total output of the switch.

also some switches have different power output on certain ports. First four may be max output and the rest 1/2 of that.

The only problem might be too big a load for the total output of the switch.

also some switches have different power output on certain ports. First four may be max output and the rest 1/2 of that.

That's not really a disadvantage of the concept, though... just a limitation of certain designs. And realistically, probably not an issue in most cases (I don't think any of the PoE cameras I've installed need over 4.5W or so, less than 1/3 of spec for 802.3af).

It's been pointed out that if you are privileged (or possibly insane) enough to live in a climate where you need heaters to keep cameras at their operating temperatures, PoE may not deliver enough power for that (but really, if it's that cold, aren't the thieves frozen solid, anyway? )

I can't think of any disadvantages to a PoE setup, other than the previously-mentioned lack of sufficient power to run a heater... but plenty of IP cams seem to generate enough heat (particularly your Acti cams) that I can't see that being a big problem unless you're in the Yukon.

I personally like the centralization of powering the cameras. Hook that switch up to a rack-mount UPS, and you have an instant way to hold up your security camera system in case of a power failure.

Mine is set up exactly that way, and it works great... buys the system enough time to spin up the backup generator.

The only issues we had with outside POE cameras was the power limitation of the switches I solved it by adding a second POE switch so both were only drawing about 75% power. We were using Goevision outdoor bullets and the problem arose when the IRs kicked on.

There's also the benefit, if you use a managed switch, of being able to remotely power-cycle your devices (camera, phone, whatever).

How about the lifespan of the wire or when the switch fails for some reason? the ports and stuff? Yeah I think centralized power and less wires is great but I guess lets just say security matters not installation.

Because to be completely honest I don't have any problems with PoE switches at all trouble is when the switch fails or a port fails.

As far as lifespan of the wire, it shouldn't differ much from coaxial cable.

I typically have my guys run direct burial cable-it tends to be a little easier to pull (the jacket is slicker, and doesn't snag as easily as the indoor stuff), and if a small portion if it has to be exposed for some reason, it's no big deal. It's also distinctly different and identifiable for troubleshooting when it's in with a big bundle of other network cabling.

Seems legit Soundy, I had them installed 1:1 for power anyway you're right if the camera dies the view dies but not all of them gets off when you get 1:1 for power not all in a centralized manner. Well I guess I have to migrate to PoE for the up coming projects with regards to IP CCTV.

Disadvantages:

Only works with IP cameras

Advantages:

Works with IP cameras

Actually, it works with a variety of devices, including Avigilon's 4 channel encoder, so you could use your $40 bullet cameras with it.

The net cost of an encoder and one channel license wouldn't be much different than the cost of a higher end capture card, and you'd be able to use Avigilon software.

Disadvantages:

Only works with IP cameras

Advantages:

Works with IP cameras

Actually, it works with a variety of devices, including Avigilon's 4 channel encoder, so you could use your $40 bullet cameras with it.

The net cost of an encoder and one channel license wouldn't be much different than the cost of a higher end capture card, and you'd be able to use Avigilon software.

Only problem is, the Avigilon encoder isn't compatible with twist-on BNCs...

*ducking*

Who still uses twist-on BNCs?

I'm still waiting for twist-on RJ45 plugs.....

**********Edit*********

Yeah, I know, technically, they should be referred to as "twist-on 8P8C modular connectors", but everyone calls them RJ45's!

Who still uses twist-on BNCs?

I'm still waiting for twist-on RJ45 plugs.....

**********Edit*********

Yeah, I know, technically, they should be referred to as "twist-on 8P8C modular connectors", but everyone calls them RJ45's!

wish there was something as simple as twist on but what has become a simple design change to standard rj45 is the srip after crimp. never waste a rj45 again with the likes of legs to short

170299_1.jpg

No thanks, I dont touch overpriced crap designed for dummies.

For someone that never used this stuff you sure to think you know a lot about it. BTW the Avigilon encoder is the most cost effective 4 channel (30FPS D1 all channels) on the market by a long shot.

Speaking of $40 bullet cameras mine comes today so I can do a real megapixel VS analog comparison. Rory I think you appreciate this the most .

Edited by Guest

Only problem is, the Avigilon encoder isn't compatible with twist-on BNCs...

That works out perfectly then.

I dont use overpriced junk for CCTV noobs.

For someone that never used this stuff you sure to think you know a lot about it.

I thought I made myself clear, I dont use overpriced crap.

So yeah I never used "this stuff".

But to be fair, I have used crap like CNB, just not overpriced crap.