ninja_rush

Q about IP cam bandwidth

What are the variables that causes the remote viewing IP cameras to lag?

Is it the bandwidth, camera or the viewing software?

If I have 10 IP cameras installed on a location do I need 10times better bandwidth than if I only had 1 cameras installed?

Bandwidth is probably the biggest factor - most residential broadband has fast downstream but fairly limited upstream speeds. VMS could have an effect as well - if it's re-encoding the video to a smaller stream, that will take time to process and add some delay.

If I have 10 IP cameras installed on a location do I need 10times better bandwidth than if I only had 1 cameras installed?

Not necessarily - it depends on how many cameras you're trying to view/stream at once, and whether the VMS is re-encoding them to a smaller stream.

Bandwidth is probably the biggest factor - most residential broadband has fast downstream but fairly limited upstream speeds. VMS could have an effect as well - if it's re-encoding the video to a smaller stream, that will take time to process and add some delay.

Not necessarily - it depends on how many cameras you're trying to view/stream at once, and whether the VMS is re-encoding them to a smaller stream.

thanks sir,

how come the analog has 0 delay on streaming? is it because it doesnt re-encode? how do I know which cameras re encode or not?

Can I view the IP cameras over internet at the lowest resolution, but at the same time record it with highest res?

If you are viewing the analog over the internet it is definitely being encoded and the resolution is probably a lot smaller. Are the IP cameras megapixel?

What software are you using? and how are viewing (client or web app)?

the web app will use the lowest bandwidth.

and depending on cameras and software, you can set record fps high and live stream fps lower. With a lot of cameras you set live stream profiles that allow you to set resolution, stream type and bit rate, but that would be accessing the cameras web page and would require a NAT'ed IP per camera or port forwarding set for each camera

thanks sir,

how come the analog has 0 delay on streaming?

It won't have ZERO delay; there will always be SOME, even if it's not readily apparent.

Most of this is probably due to the fact that you're dealing with far lower resolution, thus less processing is required...

Can I view the IP cameras over internet at the lowest resolution, but at the same time record it with highest res?

That depends on the camera. Those that support dual- or multiple-streams will allow you to do this.

That depends on the camera. Those that support dual- or multiple-streams will allow you to do this.

You also need a VMS that can support dual streaming for this to work. That camera is only half of the solution.

You also need a VMS that can support dual streaming for this to work. That camera is only half of the solution.

Not necessarily. If you can access the camera's streams via direct URL, your NVR just needs to be able to record the primary stream... then you plug in the URL for the low-res stream into your remote browser (granted, this only gives you the live view and not playback, but the OP didn't ask for that).

Note that some cameras can give you a reduced version of the primary stream as well - on an IQ511, you can take the basic URL to send an MJPEG stream - "http://camera.ip/now.jpg?snap=spush" will give you the full stream - and add the modifier "&ds=x" where x is a scale factor - &ds=2 will scale each dimension to 1/2 (so, a 1280x1024 image only sends as 640x512, with the relative reduced bandwidth); &ds=4 scales each dimension to 1/4; and so on.