namahs

Foggy picture when IR is turned on

Please look at the attachment pictures for reference. During the evening when the IR is on, the picture is very foggy/cloudy. You can barely make out past 10-15 ft. After carefully looking at the location of the security camera, I think I found the culprit but I'm not 100% sure. In front of the camera is an aluminum vent (lower right corner of picture), would that cause the IR to reflect causing this foggy picture? If that is the cause, can I paint or put something over the aluminum or make it less reflective? I would rather take that route than relocating the security camera. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

driveway_daytime.jpg.7da057a2ff83be7a1b844e15b6babfc8.jpg

driveway_evening.jpg.4d11f2341f7ed80d18c4188c563d05e8.jpg

It's probably internal reflection from the IR, try it with the dome cover (or end cover, if it is a bullet) off, and see if there is a difference.

This is a common problem with dome cameras with IR, the IR bounces off the dome cover internally, fogging the image.

I had the same looking problem. It was caused by mounting my cameras to close to an overhang that was above and in front of the camera. Couldn't see the overhang in the camera image but was surprised how much IR reflection into the cameras I got from the darkly painted wood overhangs at night. When I moved one camera lower during the night, the image cleared up 100% no more IR reflection. Hope this helps.

Yeah, thats why I figured the foggy picture was caused by the metal vent seen on the lower right of the camera. I guess moving the camera is the only option. I was just wondering if I can just get away with painting the vent to make it less reflective.

Can't tell from the photo of the camera but:

Is the glass window/lense on the front of the camera one single round piece or is the camera lense and the IR lense two separate concentric pieces?

If they are a single piece, the camera will be prone to IR bounce-back from the inside glass/air surface of the outside surface of the lense. Cleaning the lense will (temporarily) resolve the issue.

If the two lenses are concentric and physically two different pieces of glasses, then you have something else going on.

There's more of a problem than the vent in the foreground. I have a camera at one of my back doors with almost the same thing, giving me no trouble-

170908_1.jpg

Something more is wrong with your camera.

Dn

This is not the vent. This is a dirty dome. I'm almost 100% sure, because I have the same problem with cameras of few of my customers. Right after the installation the picture was perfect, it got bad after some time, when the dust collected on the dome.

The problem is, that I do not know how to clean it. The regular use of windex and soft tissue does not do any good, because the particles of the dust make a tiny scratches on the plexiglass when I try to wipe them away and that is enough for the IR light to diffract on them and bounce back to the camera.

After wiping, the dome is practically not usable for night vision. I really do not know what is the solution to this problem.

I really do not know what is the solution to this problem.

The solution is to not use junk cameras with IR LEDs sprinkled around the lens.

Use a quality camera *and* a quality external illuminator.

Appologies for the late reply, i've only just joined this forum.

Did you resolve your issue as I've had the same problem with two of mine.

The fix involves a stip down i'm afraid.

Remove the front glass screen and clean with glass cleaner, along with the front of the actual lens.

If it's still no better, then the next thing is a little trickier which involves removing the lens from the camera, and cleaning the rear of the lens.

You'll need some assitance to check the focus when re-assembling

This has worked for me a number of times.