ljarrald

a few questions about IP...

hi, i have a few questions about IP...

baisically... at my mums house she wants some cctv. she wants the front door, ginnel, back door, back patio, back garden, shed(more of a garage really)(not built yet), front garden and avenue covered. i don't need (and can not afford) all the cameras to be ip, i just want a few of them to be ip for the sake of quality, so i guess in terms of recording, a hybrid NVR would be my best option...

the cameras covering the house are fine, i know what i am doing with them and they will probably all be analog apart from maybe an ip one for the front and back garden so that i can have one wide shot instead of 4 cameras with close shots.

but... the camera covering the avenue... i want it to be PTZ so i can have it on tours and play with it.

i COULD have it on the house, but it would be much beter positioned on the street lamp. assuming i get permission from the council and stuff, what is the best way to get it linked with the rest of the system? should i use an ip camera or analog camera with an ip converter and then use wifi? or should i run a cable to the house?

if it was an ip camera, could i control it from a keyboard like i can with analog PTZs? would the keyboard be an ip device and therefor be really expensive? i would like to have two...

in the shed that is going to be built, it is (hopefully) going to be my home for a couple of years. i dont need any ip cameras on i, just analog. a 4-8ch system will do (i doubt i'll get to 8 cameras, but i'll probably use an 8ch DVR) i would like the shed and house system to be linked, if i had a hybrid NVR and a DVR made by the same manufacterer on the same network, could i use one piece of software to view all my cameras at the same time? or if i got a hybrid NVR with 8 spare channels, could i use the video streams from the shed DVR as ip cameras in the NVR?

as you can see... i am new to IP.

sorry for the bad formatting and spelling, i'm tired and spellcheck is broken.

if you need a better explanation, more info, gmaps, diagrams etc, i don't mind giving them.

thanks in advance!

-luke

what you could do is use encoders for the analog, making them IP as well and then just run a full IP system. this way, you could continue to add IP or analog to the system as you wish.

a lot of IP PTZ cameras can be controlled with a USB joystick (gaming joystick) through whatever VMS software you chose

as a side note, there are some pretty price competitive standard res and 1 mp IP cameras on the market that might make you want to consider just going with all IP and saving the cost of encoders or analog dvr.

what you could do is use encoders for the analog, making them IP as well and then just run a full IP system. this way, you could continue to add IP or analog to the system as you wish.

a lot of IP PTZ cameras can be controlled with a USB joystick (gaming joystick) through whatever VMS software you chose

as a side note, there are some pretty price competitive standard res and 1 mp IP cameras on the market that might make you want to consider just going with all IP and saving the cost of encoders or analog dvr.

okay, if i went with a full IP system, how would it be recorded? i like the idea of a dedicated recorder so an NVR would be good. if i used a USB joystick, i am guessing it would need to be plugged into a computer? i was hoping to have the controller in the living room so it could be viewed on the living room TV and i could use a keyboard to control the dvr so that i can have the dvr in the loft and never need to touch it or something.

what brands of IP camera/encoder would you recommend? i am looking for a balance between quality and price, although i would prefer to sacrifice some quality to save money.

thanks!

axis M series cameras are competitively priced and have quality images.

acti have low budget cameras, but the quality isn't quite as good.

UDP encoders perform quite well

using an nvr, you can put the server wherever and access your system over your network. the VMS software that you choose to run will take care of recording onto the server. most will give you ptz control through the viewer (web based or client) as part of the GUI. a joystick can be attached to a client station. controlling the dvr really doesn't apply to the IP nvr's. putting the viewer on your tv is the catch, it is a little more complicated with IP unless your tv is a network tv with browser capabilities. you will be able to view and control cameras from any pc or smartphone, with most VMS.