Var

How to catch a fast-moving criminals

Hi all,

We have a problem with some people who are destroying our mailbox.

They drive by at night very fast and smash it, and like the cowards they are, they beep their car horns and speed away.

Sometimes during the day they beep their horns and don't smash anything.

These are really abominable people, they belong to some crazy hate group. We literally don't know who they are but of course they seem to have decided they don't like us.

We want to catch them and bring these cowards to justice. The cops won't do a thing without evidence. So is there a high speed camera that can be perched near the road (outdoors) or a high-zoom, high-speed camera that we can use indoors to capture their destructive activities and their license plates?

Either nighttime (IR?) or daytime are options we are considering.

Thanks.

i assume the layout is something like this:

170925_1.png

and you are thinking of this

170925_2.png

i would suggest putting the camera IN or ON the actual mailbox with some sort of motion sensor, if all you want cameras for is to catch these guys, i don't see the point in a DVR, but i don't know about the alternatives.

if you used a DVR you could have it so that the dvr only records when the motion sensor senses motion.

something like this...

170925_3.png

Thanks for your quick reply. The layout is exactly as you describe, with the additional note that there are trees near the mailbox. In theory we could attach a camera to a tree. But these trees also block some of the view of the road. And the road is uphill, perhaps 10 feet higher.

The distance from the house to the road is perhaps 100-150 feet, 30-50 meters. So running a cable up to the road for a wired CCTV camera would not be possible. But it may be possible to reach our Wifi from the road; I'd have to check. I don't know if CCTV can transmit wirelessly.

Thanks for your quick reply. The layout is exactly as you describe, with the additional note that there are trees near the mailbox. In theory we could attach a camera to a tree. But these trees also block some of the view of the road. And the road is uphill, perhaps 10 feet higher.

The distance from the house to the road is perhaps 100-150 feet, 30-50 meters. So running a cable up to the road for a wired CCTV camera would not be possible. But it may be possible to reach our Wifi from the road; I'd have to check. I don't know if CCTV can transmit wirelessly.

okay, well really all you need is the number plate, and footage of them smashing it.

try one of those cameras that are designed to sit on the dashboard of your car and record an accident. the way they work is they ONLY record if they detect sudden vibration (a whack with a baseball bat for example) and they have about 5 seconds of buffer. this means that when you play it back, you will get 5 seconds of footage before it gets whacked. this should be enough time to get the number plate.

only problem with this is that its an all in one unit, so if they find it and take it, no evidence

if along with the mailbox its smashed to pieces, no evidence etc, etc.

if you do go with this option, i would suggets a bit of creativity. wrap it with bubble wrap or something and mount it INSIDE your mailbox but drill i tiny hole for the lens to look out of, also try getting one that records to an SD card, then even if the camera is smashed, if the SD card survived, you have your evidence.

good luck, if i am sounding unclear, PM me.

Hi. yes you can get wireless but they are not that good for licence plate or any good quality image.

but you would still need to get power to your camera.

sounds like you have a short term problem so i would not worry to much about the install side. run some cat5 (or direct burial cat5) and follow flower beds or grass area this will carry you video/power/and alarm signal (even audio)

the other problem will be cost as well as a camera you will also need to record if you have no DVR then take alook at IP you can get some good little 1.3mp cameras and it will be cheaper than having to buy anolog camera and a recorder.

you need something small hiden or it will be the camera getting the attention and not your mail box. and your right dont mount on mail box if your box is getting hit with batts it will also damage your camera.

it all depends on your budget. axis do a good little encoder covert camera.

I know that catching them in the act is important but how about this? You must be going through mailboxes quite a bit so do this, fill a mailbox with concrete (lined with a plastic bag). It might not be as good as catching them in the act but would be sweet to hear the scream in the middle of the night. Just a thought, good luck.

I know that catching them in the act is important but how about this? You must be going through mailboxes quite a bit so do this, fill a mailbox with concrete (lined with a plastic bag). It might not be as good as catching them in the act but would be sweet to hear the scream in the middle of the night. Just a thought, good luck.

Instead of mounting it on a wooden pole, concrete in a steel pole and knock out a damaged mailbox before filling with concrete. THAT SHOULD SLOW THEM DOWN A BIT, I've no doubt that it may cause them injury when hitting it or damage their car.

I know it may feel like they are targeting you specifically, but this probably isn't the case in reality. If you see it happen again don't go out or let them see you've seen it happen, that simply amplifies their fun 10 times and then they return to repeat what has already happened. A hunter's self contained prey camera might be an option to consider. Simply lash it to a tree, point in the right direction and wait. You could find a way to fix it so it can't be stolen easily. It records onto a SD card. These are High Definition cameras and produce excellent images day and night.

Checkout Brinno cameras. They have a range of cameras that one is bound to fit the bill.

Click the image below to go their website where there are no prices, you have to find a distributor in your country.

I have seen these on ebay UK they may well be on ebay.com too.

MAC100-all_A.jpg

MAC100 one of the self contained Megapixel Cameras Solutions from Brinno

The name has nothing to do with Apple Computers.

ALSO take a look at their time-lapse cameras which might be an option to consider

lock it, and fill it with ink/dye.

Or move it in more onto your yard where they cant get to it.

If they step foot on your yard, then you can take the machete and teach them a lesson.

I've seen some very thick, armored mailboxes around here. Literally, like 1/4" steel all around, with a thick steel pole sunk like 10' down with concrete. The handle is such that it can be opened to put mail in, but mail cannot be taken out without a key. I'm not sure you could knock it over with a car, let alone a bat!

I've always wanted to fill my mailbox with concrete...

Would probably just get stolen, they might accept the challenge.

The game camera is a good idea, available anywhere hunting supplies are sold and are now getting pretty cheap.