troy6363

Gadspot 650TVL Dome Cameras

I recently purchased 4 dome cameras from a company called gadspot. The cameras I purchased were a dome camera with 650 tvl resolution. I hooked up these cameras with the supplied cable which was basic thin power and video cable and these cameras did not look good at all.Should I go buy some RG59 with power cable to see if the picture quality improves? Could the cameras actually be less than 650tvl?

Here are the specs:

GS4021CF

Pick-Up Device: 1/4" Exview WDS

Number of Pixels: NTSC: 976x494 / PAL: 976x582

System of Signal: NTSC / PAL

Horizontal Resolution: 650 TV Lines

Minimum Illumination: 0 Lux (Less than 2 lux, IR-LED on)

Lens: 4.8 mm

Auto Electronic Shutter: 1/50s(1/60s)~1/100,000sec

WDR: Yes

Application: Indoor / Outdoor

ICR: Built-in

Back Light Comp.: Auto

White Balance: Auto

S/N Ratio: > 48dB

γ(Gamma) Correction: > 0.45

Operation Temperature: -10°C ~ +50°C (14°F ~ 122°F)

Sync System: Internal

Video Output: 1Vpp/75Ω

Power Source Supply: 12VDC(+/~10%)

Weight: 1 lb Approx.

Dimension: 93x64 mm

IR LEDs: 24pcs, φ5mm

I like all my gadspots, but this one could just be too cheap to give good results. This isn't one I'd buy. I see there are two versions- PAL and NTSC. You have the right one hooked up? What bit rate and resolution do you have the channels in the dvr set at? What drv do you have? What's the problem with the picture, specifically?

I have it on NTSC. Im not sure which bit rate it is set at but i have the GS2006V DVR . (http://www.gadspot.com/p-221-gs2006v.aspx)

The picture looks ok but I was kinda comparing it to a job I did with 520 TVL cameras and it looks as if the picture quality is about the same when these are suppose to be 650TVL. Again I did order the cheap premade cables with these so I am going to get some RG59 and see if that makes any difference.

I think the weak link in your camera is the image sensor. For high res cameras, its advantageous to get one that uses a 1/3" CCD. I've never seen one that has a WDS sensor to be honest. Not real sure if thats the same thing as a CCD or not but dont think it is.

Sony make Exview CCDs (dunno about the WDS bit). They're good for low light and near infra-red. If these are the ones I'm thinking of, they eventually develope stuck pixels - the CCD array is a bit delicate.

It could be other problems with your camera; a poor quality lens or badly designed electronics. I've had a few cheapish high resolution cameras that have been walked all over by more ancient but higher quality models.

Yea they were only $39 and claiming to be 650TVL. Im learning that TVL resolution is not the only thing to be concerned with. Its so many more specs to look at when buying cameras

I have it on NTSC. Im not sure which bit rate it is set at but i have the GS2006V DVR . (http://www.gadspot.com/p-221-gs2006v.aspx)

The picture looks ok but I was kinda comparing it to a job I did with 520 TVL cameras and it looks as if the picture quality is about the same when these are suppose to be 650TVL. Again I did order the cheap premade cables with these so I am going to get some RG59 and see if that makes any difference.

1-its cheap, dont expect much

2-DVR is responsible for the final result

Even if the camera has 900+ pixels, its still recording the same pixels as the 480TVL camera.

Max 720x480.

So really with this DVR the highest resolution it will display is 480TVL. So I shouldnt even bother with 500 600TVL cameras. Rory can you recommend a good DVR thats under $200 or is this one decent

I wouldn't say that entirely, the reason if anything for getting a 600 or even now a 700TVL camera is that you know it has the latest technology and features. If its a 480TVL camera, although it likely works just as well, it could be an old discontinued cameral. Some of the older TDN 480TVL Infrared Bullets actually give a better day and night image than many new 600TVL cameras (I have tested). Now they put so much into all the OSD features and Stronger Infrared they tend to drop the ball on the rest.

Additionally you want to use RG59 and the right power. Thin RCA cables are okay for very short distances but thats about it, plus they pick up much more interference. Get the RG59 Siamese cable instead.

The IR distance they claim for that camera seems inaccurate though.

Highly unlikely to get more than 30' outside with any eyeball IR dome.

Not sure what DVR you have now, but I would recommend the Dahua DVRs.

Sold in the US under many names including QVis which is what I use now.

So really with this DVR the highest resolution it will display is 480TVL. So I shouldnt even bother with 500 600TVL cameras.

Still, its just a $40 camera. Its good for small offices and rooms.

IR Bullets are better for outdoor Infrared.

Its D1 at 60fps total (max recording rate), so going by that it would be 15fps each channel

The Dahua are standard 7fps each channel D1, they also have Full D1 models with 30fps D1 each channel.

Will PM you on where to check them out.

KT&C 700TVL 45IR TDN Camera is now available in the US.

2.8-12mm, 50 meters IR, Dual Voltage, 976x494 pixels.

http://www.ktncusa.com/english/viewtopic.php?t=929

Model: KT&C KPC-N701NU, approx retail $250

Hi Rory,

This camera is listed as external focus and zoom. I believe I have read elsewhere on the forum here to stay way from external focus/zoom cameras. Looks like all the KT&C cameras are listed as external focus/zoom cameras too.

Thoughts and/or corrections are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chad

Hi Rory,

This camera is listed as external focus and zoom. I believe I have read elsewhere on the forum here to stay way from external focus/zoom cameras. Looks like all the KT&C cameras are listed as external focus/zoom cameras too.

Thoughts and/or corrections are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chad

Unfortunately all TDN bullet cameras are coming with that now, lets hope KT&C does a better job of it than some others I tested. Worse case scenario I would break off the external focus and zoom parts and make it internal only.