ayalas

moving dvrs from one room to another

Hello to all,

Advice for this project please. A client has 20 dvrs two racks with 10 dvrs each. with a minicom system to be able call the dvrs on the working station and a matrix. O.k heres what they want. They want to move this dvrs to the office next door not the matrix only the dvrs. I estimate about 10-15 feet distends from where they are now. You guys with experience can imagine the black spaghetti mess of cables behind this dvrs/matrix. and of course none are label.

Option one:

Throw new runs from matrix to new location (but there is a money issue here with budget)

Option two:

use the cables that are there where the dvrs are now and patch them from there to new location. (using less cable but more connectors)

Option three:

using vga cables from where the cables are now to the dvrs. Im not sure how you call this but it has the 8 bnc cams connect to then this peace connects to the back of the dvr card. i was thinking of putting a vga cable there and into the dvr on the other end. And i would be using 20 of this cables.

The worst part is low budget and me not being able to loose this client or project.How do i post pics on this forum? Any advice i will thank for very much.

What is going to look cleaner? VGA cables aren't that expensive if you know where to buy them from. Just label each connector as you disconnect them, that way when you get done you can bundle each DVR together, and make it nice and neat.

I've used VGA extensions (and DVI extensions, for DVRs that use the big DVI-type connectors for 16 inputs)... it will work, SOMETIMES. It depends entirely on the pins used by the particular breakout cable - it's worked for me on Vigil DVRs, but not GeoVision, because they use different pins on the HD15 connector for different things. Keep in mind that some of the pins *on the VGA spec* are grounds, and may all be tied together in the extension cable. This could then potentially short of some the wrong pins together for the DVR breakout cable.

I'd suggest picking up ONE, SHORT extension cable first, and try it to see if it will work. Also, instead of (or in addition to) the expensive shielded cables... try one of the thin ultra-cheap types, as those are more likely to have all the pins just connected straight through.

Oh boy, this are geovision cards Soundy, you ran into problems doing this with this cards? HTElectrical i think this would look much more cleaner (and cheaper).This office has a drop down ceiling where i can put a rail up there to hold the weight of all this cables and go from there to the vga extensions but like soundy says i will go out and buy a set first to try it out i called my local computer shop here and they have 20 feet for $12.oo bucks. Can yall help post some pics so you can get an idea of what im working with. Thanks

hi like soundy says geo has a few config of cables some with audio some with spot monitor so alot of testing will be needed with a multi meter. or you could try black box (cat5 extender)

170998_1.jpg

The other thing you could do to reduce the cable count is use some multi-channel baluns or passive hubs on both ends, and use Cat5e to run between the rooms - will be cleaner and quite possibly cheaper in the long run (especially if you factor in the time to terminate all those coax runs).

Something like this, for example: http://www.nvt.com/content.php?type=product&key=3213s&cid=root - each Cat5e run can carry four video signals, so each DVR would require only four Cat5e runs, rather than 16 coax runs.

hi like soundy says geo has a few config of cables some with audio some with spot monitor so alot of testing will be needed with a multi meter. or you could try black box (cat5 extender)

170998_1.jpg

I doubt those would work - they look to be just VGA baluns, which really is just a three-channel balun, one for each signal line. These types of breakout cables don't conform to standard VGA pinouts, so something designed to transmit VGA wouldn't work.

That second bundle would work, but it would get pretty messy as well, with the numbers the OP is talking about. Problem is, that has five connectors... the DVR inputs have eight. Pretty soon you end up with a mish-mash that's hard to keep track of... or a bunch of left-over cores.

I've used VGA extensions (and DVI extensions, for DVRs that use the big DVI-type connectors for 16 inputs)... it will work, SOMETIMES. It depends entirely on the pins used by the particular breakout cable - it's worked for me on Vigil DVRs, but not GeoVision, because they use different pins on the HD15 connector for different things. Keep in mind that some of the pins *on the VGA spec* are grounds, and may all be tied together in the extension cable. This could then potentially short of some the wrong pins together for the DVR breakout cable.

I'd suggest picking up ONE, SHORT extension cable first, and try it to see if it will work. Also, instead of (or in addition to) the expensive shielded cables... try one of the thin ultra-cheap types, as those are more likely to have all the pins just connected straight through.

Soundy you are right about the vga male\female it did not work i went out and got a 10 feet one to try it out but out of the 8 cams just 3 pop out on the monitor. I search for a NV-3213S the one you mention but the price is way to high for this project plus i would need two (one on each side right?) I really dont want to throw so many coax cables so i will keep serching and trying till i get it done thanks for your advice.

we have some 25' VGA extensions that will work with geovision. these are 15 wire straight thru.

these arent the heavy cables you usually find.

How many do you need? I think we might have enough.