troy6363

Creating a CCTV feed on a tv station in my house

Hello all. I have been reading online where I can view my camera feed on all tvs in my home on a specified channel. I googled some info and came up with a device called a video audio modulator. Am I on the right track? I have Comcast cable (Xfinity TV) and would like to view my cameras on an unused station. Is this possible since most catv companies have gone digital?

http://www.shoptronics.com/nyrius-nrfm100-rf-signal-modulator.html

I know this is a cheap or inexpensive product but somebody please tell me if Im going in the right direction.

Yes, as long as you don't have cable or satellite broadcasting on the same frequency, not channel frequency. If there is you have to use a cut filter before the cable or satellite to block out the designated freq.

I'm sorry. I don't understand what you mean by as long as I don't have cable broadcasting on the same frequency not channel frequency. Could you please explain what this means.

Yes, as long as you don't have digital cable. At least in my area it screwed with the digital phone service, so I had to split the lines going into the house. Luckily half of the TVs in the residence were only using basic cable, not Digital. The ones with digital cable would not work. Make sure what channels your modulator will broadcast on. Where are you located?

They do, but you have to find out what frequency that the cable company is using. http://www.channelvision.com/images/stories/uploads/guide/Filters_And_DigitalCable.pdf

file.php?id=2919

That filter blocked out the Digital Phone service from Cox Communications, since that is the frequency they were using. If you can find a range that they are not using it will work, unless they change the used frequencies, which I understand they often do. Your best bet is to run a seperate video cable to each TV and switch video inputs. If that is not feasible, than the Channel Vision solution might work best for you.

Thankyou so much for clarifying this for me. I guess others are not knowledgeable in this area. I think I will just stick with the old way and run a separate feed to each tv. Thanks for the info

Yes I have digital. I live in Memphis tn. I can't believe they don't make something to wrk on digital cable

There are two issues with most digital cable systems:

1) The frequencies allocated to channels are remapped at times. So, even though MTV might always be channel "50" or whatever on your box, the specific frequency (and compression) used to deliver it may change as channels are added to the system or other upgrades are done. Your STB (set top box) is given instructions on what in the spectrum is "channel 50" to you. This makes it difficult to find a free channel like with analog systems because things may move around.

2) Your STB is programmed by the cable company, and checks for authorization for each channel. So, you might find a free bit of spectrum, purchase a $1000 QAM modulator (yeah, they ain't cheap), and hook it all up and the STB still wouldn't tune the channel anyway.

If you're just getting basic digital cable in clear QAM (meaning that you can use the tuner in a newer TV to watch your TV without needing a STB), then you can get a QAM modulator and usually make this work. But, it's going to be around $1000...

Or, if your TV has PIP you could try using that and an analog modulator.

Thankyou so much for clarifying this for me. I guess others are not knowledgeable in this area. I think I will just stick with the old way and run a separate feed to each tv. Thanks for the info

hi. its a mine field using modulators (its was easy when anolog) digital is more expensive as you can see from the cost of the ones you have already.

if you can get cable to each TV (or use redundent coax) then use a 4in 8 out amplifier.

you will have a much better control if you run cat5 to each tv. most TVs have more than 1 AV input

so AV1 you could have all your cameras.

AV2 you could have 1 full screen camera i.e front door or driveway.

for around $50 and cost of baluns for cat5 much better option. (unit goes at DVR end)

Video Distributor and Amplifier 4in 8 out Ref: VA4-8P

Compact and simple to programme, the VA4-8P allows convenient distribution of 4 video signals to 8 video outputs.

The unit is fully programmable using DIP switches so that any input can be distributed to any output.

resize.php?img=va48p_1.jpg&width=400&height=400