md102090

Trying to replace time lapse vcrs with dvd recorders

Hi I work in loss prevention an we were runnin a sony SVT-RA40 time lapse vcr to a checkpoint CKP-16CD multiplexer then we have two OANZ CTR-024N-2 time lapse vcrs, one of which is connected to another ckp-16cd an the other to an MV96p Multivision Pro multiplexer. Now our regional manager was nice enough to buy us DVD recorders to replace our VCRs because playback on the tape was almost impossible after the tapes got cycled through once, I tried replacing the sony vcr today assuming itd be plug in and go type of situation. Mind you im in an entry level position with no cctv training what know is what ive learned by doing so my question/s is (finally) can this swap be made and if so how?

Hi md. it can be done. BUT you have a problem from the start. timelaps will record for hours / days. DVR you will only get 1-2 hours if you need to store 10/15/30 days of footage its going to cost you a fortune in dvds.

how many cameras and how many monitors do you have ???

Unless you're recording a single camera to a DVD... no, it won't work. Time lapse VCRs don't work the same as standard VCRs; they're designed to work in conjunction with the multiplexer to record multiple cameras on sequential video tracks, and then allow playback of those multiple cameras. A consumer DVD recorder doesn't have that capability.

Plus, a 4.7GB DVD maxes out at 6-8 hours recording at the lowest quality level: you'd be swapping discs three to four times a day. Time-lapse VCRs can also automatically rewind a record over the tapes again if you forget to change the tapes, so at least they key recording... DVDs can't do that, so once a disc is full, until you swap it, you're no longer recording.

Again, the DVD recorders won't properly process the output signal from the multiplexers, and you won't be able to playback the video. The only way you could do it, even swapping discs regularly, would be to have a separate recorder for every camera.

Your ONLY way to effectively get rid of the VCRs is to replace them *and the multiplexers* with DVRs.

Yeah I test recorded a 2 min clip an could only get it to playback by bypassing the multiplexer which of course it played back all in a single frame cycling through all the camera shots... you wouldnt happen to have a suggestion on any dvrs would you?

Lots... HOW many cameras total, and are they all running to the same location? How much are you prepared to spend?

Money is going to be the biggest limitation the 3 dvd recorders they bought us were only 130 a piece... I imagine they wouldnt want to go over 200 which probably isnt enough for a dvr but anyway I have 48 cameras running to a single location via coax cable, right now its split to 3 different monitors each having its own multiplexer and vcr... and we need to retain video for 30 days

Yeah, not gonna happen for that price, or anywhere near it. Honestly, for even a "half-decent" upgrade (a couple mid-level DVRs, one 32-channel, one 16-channel) , you're probably looking at $2000 *to start*. You COULD spend less than that... but honestly, if you're protecting your business, this is not the place to cheap out.

For a retail situation, you really need to ditch the VCR and DVD recorder mindset. To be honest most homeowners have a more realistic budget than $200 for a good surveillance recorder for 4 just cameras so it may a good idea to politely tell your bosses to wise up in a tactful manner about their budget for their CCTV equipment or simply deal with what they have or simply not have one at all. There is a time when putting a patch on things actually becomes counterproductive and I think this is one of those situations. They spent $390 on DVD players that you cant really use and that money could have went to DVR recorders. And I say all this with all due respect.

If they really care about loss prevention, present them the qualities and productivity of a DVR compared to the system that they have now and it will be a breath of fresh air for them.

Trust me ive tried pushing the idea of an upgrade an the dvd recorders were their idea of a cheap compromise, thing is the people who sign off on this A. dont realize that decent equipment will pay for itself an B. the majority of them have never worked in LP anyway.

Point out to the decision makers that if they'd listened to you in the first place instead of just barging ahead into a field they knew nothing about, they'd be $390 closer to having a working system, rather than proud owners of $390 worth of doorstops...

Personally, I would just give them a price to do it right and then, if they are still insistent, walk away from the job.

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way.

~ ~ ~ Josh Billings"

Personally, I would just give them a price to do it right and then, if they are still insistent, walk away from the job.

"The best way to convince a fool that he is wrong is to let him have his own way.

~ ~ ~ Josh Billings"

This.

I totally agree with survtech....only problem is he's an employee.

Unfortunately people (the mngrs) are not in a position these days

to spend anything on anything. When he thinks he's doing good

for his LP dept. he's wasting money and this poor guy's time,

which probably by now has cost the company over $ 1k in time,

useless equip., etc.

I would (I know you guys are going to think I'm a freak but, the

store is not really interested in loss prevention) take the Time

Lapse Recorders to a place that can service them, get new heads

for each of them, tweak and align them and buy 90 slp tapes,

create a library (drink a beer on the way back to work) and call it

a day.

I am a bit curious about one thing though, the 'Regional Mngr'

ordered the DVD recorders? Is the 'Regional Mngr' a mngr of the

store chain?....or an actual 'LP Regional Mngr' if the latter and

he ordered the DVD recorders and didn't have a clue that they

wouldn't work...well?.....just a scary thought of someone in

that position. Must be family owned.

Bunited2

Well, he COULD still walk away... would be a bit extreme, but...

Unfortunately people (the mngrs) are not in a position these days

to spend anything on anything.

Maybe, but they SHOULD be in a position to weigh what their losses are vs. the potential savings realized by having proper equipment in place.

I would (I know you guys are going to think I'm a freak but, the

store is not really interested in loss prevention) take the Time

Lapse Recorders to a place that can service them, get new heads

for each of them, tweak and align them and buy 90 slp tapes,

create a library (drink a beer on the way back to work) and call it

a day.

Only problem is, finding parts for these things is getting harder and harder. I don't think anyone's actually made time-lapse VCRs in at least three years... the channel has to be pretty close to drying up... even finding someone who KNOWS HOW to service them is getting tougher. It may cost more to refurbish the VCRs than to switch everything to DVRs, and then you're still stuck with the ongoing tape costs and the limitations of the format itself.

So yeah, you're a freak

Thanks Soundy,

I see you're a very good judge of charactor.

But coming from you I do take it as a compliment...almost makes

me teary eyed.

You're probably right as far as being able to get those things

fixed (I know I could still replace the heads and align it myself).

I was just trying to make the point, if they're trying to upgrade

the system at roughly $ 400, it ain't gonna happen and employee

'A' should tell Regional manager 'B' their 48 camera system is

basically worthless unless they do an influx in the $ 1000's...if

he/they say 'no'...then go have a beer (or 3).

Bunited2

Yes, but I owned my own business for over 14 years and did that more than a couple of times. My experience then was that it was impossible to please everyone. There are times when the aggravation just isn't worth the income...

In this day and age (whenever I see a post from you Carl

I see the Giant white beach ball thing rolling across the

water and every time I laugh like the '(get it?) village Idiot').

Love it!

Jobs are scarce, I have/had my own company for 20+ years,

DOD, Airports, Cities, Counties..blah blah.

This guy's boss doesn't have a clue and he is stuck trying

to make it work.

1. tell your boss he's a dult?

2. find the correct solution (and how much)?

3. Walk away?

If I was this guy (unless he's got a job lined up at Walmart already)

tell his boss that 'I talked to some integrator's and the DVD

solution won't work.

Then, it's out of his hands.

And he can go back to the 2 way mirrors in the changing

rooms.

Bunited2

People start thinking about cctv, security, alarms, etc. when something bad happens.

When someone gets hurt or something bad happens they might change their mind.

Bunited2,

I just finished watching the series again (for the umpteenth time) on BluRay. I re-watch it every year or so. I get a kick over how prescient they were in the series. Although they didn't get the CCTV exactly right, the ubiquitousness of cameras in The Village reminds me of where I work. Not bad for a show filmed in 1967, when CCTV was the stuff of Science Fiction and Secret Agent fantasies.

I sometimes catch myself throwing the "Be Seeing You" salute to our cameras when I'm working on them.

I never really equated the cctv camera thing with the time

frame of the series, yes just a tad ahead of their time (creative

wise).

Still.....who the heck could not out run one of those giant

white beach ball things (along with some 3 stooges zig

zagging action)??....they always let the beach ball thing get

on them like a German Shepherd on a Poodle in heat.

Maybe if the beach ball had spikes sticking out of it?

Things that make you go..."huh?"

Bunited2