nabberuk

Recommendations of a new CCTV camera.

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an IP CCTV camera as i'm planning on writing some cctv software, It will be placed on the front of the house pointing at the driveway (About 20 meters).

I'm looking at doing number plate recognition, but would like IR on the camera. Do these interfere with each other? i.e the number plate reflect the ir back into the camera?

Also it would need to be a camera that output's a standard video formart.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

thanks,

Nathan

Hi,

I'm looking at buying an IP CCTV camera as i'm planning on writing some cctv software, It will be placed on the front of the house pointing at the driveway (About 20 meters).

I'm looking at doing number plate recognition, but would like IR on the camera. Do these interfere with each other? i.e the number plate reflect the ir back into the camera?

It shouldn't cause a problem... it may even be beneficial to the cause, as it would provide more consistent exposure despite varying daylight conditions: you could just lock the camera's exposure to work best with the IR, rather than changing with the ambient light.

Also it would need to be a camera that output's a standard video formart.

Almost all IP cameras will give you a stream using either MJPEG, MPEG-4 or H.264, so you just need to be able to receive and process that. Where it might get tricky is actually interfacing with the camera - you want something with a good SDK, or depending on how you write your software, even just something that can be easily controlled via the URL command line.

IQEye cameras, for example, let you alter a lot of their output and display parameters just by putting modifiers in the URL. They also allow you to upload some fairly extensive scripts to the camera's memory to run internally.

On the other hand, I'm told by one NVR developer that Arecont's SDK is a nightmare to work with and constantly changing specs means they've had a *** of a time keeping their software working properly with new cameras when they come out.

In short, you'll probably have to do some investigating into which brand's functions or SDK are best suited to your own coding skills.

There should be a requirement for CCTV operations to undertake systematic and regular evaluations to re-assure public confidence in the transparency of their processes and their adherence to legislative requirements. It should be possible to create a template of performance indicators and measures to enable a national performance framework to create.