myplace46

Newbie needs a lot of help...

Hey guys,

I'm new to all this cctv stuff but, I'm learning a lot just reading other post.

I have a stand alone DVR that I would like to get on line so I can use it through my computer.

I have 2 major problems. 1. the documentation for my DVR is translated into English from Chines by someone that

doesn't understand English. That and the fact that it only tells you what to do and not how to do it.

in some cases it tells you the options you have but, doesn't tell you why you would choose one option over another.

2. The other problem is, I have a Verizon FIOS router. Its an Ultraline Series3 Model 9100EM. and I can't find any info

on the internet that tells me how to do port forwarding on this model. If I had a clue as to exactly what it was I was trying to do,

I might be able to figure things out but... all I can say is I'm clueless here.

If anyone has any ideas on how to set me strait, I'm willing to learn.

Thanks,

John

PS. if anyone has any idea where I can lay my hands on an outdoor pendant housing that will work with my Toshiba IK-DP30A PTZ for a decent price, please let me know!

Thanks again

Gotta love those translations.

I found the user manual for your router online. You can access it here:

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/Vz9100EM_user_guide.pdf

The instructions for port forwarding setup are on page 95. Looks pretty standard and straight forward.

Now, lets get the rest of the networking set up. It would be helpful if you had given the model number, but these are the basics with most DVRs:

1) connect the DVR to your router and assign it an IP address. You should not use DHCP, as you will want the address to be static. Without making things too hard on yourself you can just assign an address to the DVR that is at the end of the address range specified in your router. For example, if your default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and your router is set with 50 addresses, that means the last possible address is 192.168.0.50. So maybe assign your router 192.168.0.49. That should help avoid any conflicts.

2) port forwarding. Use the manual above for assistance. Try to decipher from the DVR manual which ports need to be opened. There are usually at least 2 ports, with 80 typically being one of them. You can use a service like www.yougetsignal.com when you are done to check if you opened your ports successfully.

3) once your ports are opened you are basically done! Open a browser window on a computer on the same network and type in the LAN ip address you assigned in step 1.

4) to access remotely, you will need to know your WAN ip address. You can find this out by going to website like www.ipchicken.com. Then you can just type in that address from a computer not on yore same network as the DVR. (try hopping on your neighbors unsecured wifi, go to Starbucks, or call a friend.)

5) once you have gotten that done, pat yourself on the back! The only other thing you would maybe need is to set up a dynamic DNS acct if your ip address from Verizon is not static. You can set that up for free at www.dyndns.org. Let me know if you need help with that.

Well.... I'm pulling my hair out here.

Seems I can't get port 8000 or 9000 to open no matter what I do.

I did get port 80 and 8080 to open but not the others. There has to be something I'm overlooking but I can't put my finger on it.

anyone with any ideas is welcome to jump in!

Thanks,

John

If you got port 80 to open, then you are doing it right. Just copy exactly what you did to open port 80 for the other ports and it should work just fine.

I find it very very unlikely that your ISP would be blocking port 8000 and 9000, but not port 80. So you must just be doing something wrong.

When you are setting up your port forwarding and it starts for the start and end port, those should both be 8000. Then repeat for 9000. If you set it up with 8000 as start and 9000 as end, you've done it wrong.

dahomes,

I managed to get the ports open that I need but, I still can't communicate between the DVR and computer.

I'm still working on that side of the issue. it must be a firewall or something. On my router I can see the DVR is connected and it says its online but, I can't find it in my home network. Very frustrating, I'll let ya know if I figure it out.

Thanks for all your help so far. I really appreciate it!

John

Hey Tom,

Thanks for jumping in here.

I'm starting to think I may have a software compatibility problem.

I'm using Win7 pro 64 bit. and while the software installed OK, and acts like it wants to run, it won't let me install the active X plug-in I need. Here's what happens when I type in my DVR IP,

A window pops up asking if I want to allow the program to install... bla, bla,bla.

I click OK, and the pop up window closes and the screen I now have says, if your browser doesn't support the active x download, click here. If I click it, nothing happens.

Just so you know, I have all active x privileges activated in my browser settings.

Here is the other thing that's strange. if I try to connect through the software program that came with the DVR

http://www.ipremoteview.com/ a window pops up like it should, for me to enter my product ID. when I do, it shows it trying to connect. "FORWARDING TO IP:96. [edited.for.your.safety] PORT 8080" then my router login page opens up asking for my login password. Really strange.

Here are a couple shots I took of my DVR its a "no name" made in China. I think I've learned my lesson about buying imports, if you want service or tech support... BUY LOCAL!

172292_1.jpg

172292_2.jpg

BTW I unpluged the LAN cable when I took the photos, I had it connected while trying to connect to my computer. No, really!

BTW I unpluged the LAN cable when I took the photos, I had it connected while trying to connect to my computer. No, really!

I see the problem: the power switch is turned off! 172367_1.png

Anyway... you're trying to connect on port 8080... however, many routers use 8080 for their default remote-admin port, which could explain why you're kicking straight into the router's config page. You may need to either select another port for the DVR, or see if you can find a remote-admin setting and either disable it, or change its port.

I'm using Win7 pro 64 bit. and while the software installed OK, and acts like it wants to run, it won't let me install the active X plug-in I need

What version of explorer are you using? IE9 will probably give you issues. Most dvr's support IE8, but 9 much less so. You're dvr might have a firmware update to support IE9- you'd have to check to see. Or try Chrome.

For a comprehensive step by step explainantion of port forwarding, watch the videos here under the advanced tab, specifically game consoles-ports, and IP cameras. Watch all you can handle there and you'll have a better understanding. Good luck.

http://wifi-wiz.net/

I see the problem: the power switch is turned off! 172367_1.png

Anyway... you're trying to connect on port 8080... however, many routers use 8080 for their default remote-admin port, which could explain why you're kicking straight into the router's config page. You may need to either select another port for the DVR, or see if you can find a remote-admin setting and either disable it, or change its port.

Hey Soundy,

I Changed to port 8090 in the DVR and tried to connect. I get the message, that its trying to connect to xxx:8090 then after a few seconds it tells me its off line. sooo... I'm still scratching my head.

I'm using Win7 pro 64 bit. and while the software installed OK, and acts like it wants to run, it won't let me install the active X plug-in I need

What version of explorer are you using? IE9 will probably give you issues. Most dvr's support IE8, but 9 much less so. You're dvr might have a firmware update to support IE9- you'd have to check to see. Or try Chrome.

For a comprehensive step by step explainantion of port forwarding, watch the videos here under the advanced tab, specifically game consoles-ports, and IP cameras. Watch all you can handle there and you'll have a better understanding. Good luck.

http://wifi-wiz.net/

Hey Shock,

I'm using IE8 so I'm not sure what's going on. I'll take a look at the video you suggested and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks,

John

Just a note:

Using the control panel software that came with the DVR,I did manage to log into

my DVR. so I can see and control my cameras remotely from my computer.

So, something is right, now I just got to figure out the port forwarding thingy.

Thanks,

John

If you can hit your dvr remotely through the software, you've port forwarded correctly. Leave well enough alone. The activex thing could be a number of settings holding it up on that pc. Try another pc and see if you have the same problem. Load the software on a different pc and confirm it works remotely as well. I'd be surprised if you prefer the activex over the software anyway, so if all is well with the software I wouldn't stress over activex. You could also try another browser like firefox, which would need one add on to make it work, or chrome- just to see if you can get activex going in those browsers.

If you can hit your dvr remotely through the software, you've port forwarded correctly. Leave well enough alone. The activex thing could be a number of settings holding it up on that pc. Try another pc and see if you have the same problem. Load the software on a different pc and confirm it works remotely as well. I'd be surprised if you prefer the activex over the software anyway, so if all is well with the software I wouldn't stress over activex. You could also try another browser like firefox, which would need one add on to make it work, or chrome- just to see if you can get activex going in those browsers.

This is what's so strange. I have tried it on both my desk top and lap top with the same results. and stranger still, I cant access my user control panel on my laptop, only the desk top. I use Firefox as my main browser but, the DVR instructions say this software only works with IE as it is. there is a way to use it with FF or Chrome but the instructions are in translated Chinese and don't make any sense. I'm not sure what you mean by not using activex, isn't that the only way I can accsess my cameras when I'm away from home, like say at work?

I called Verizon support and they would be happy to help me with a 30min tech call for a one time fee of $40 or a monthly fee of $10 for a minimum of 10 months.

Gee, how's that for service?! I'm thinking I'm going to start looking for a good deal on another modem that isn't so screwed up it takes a 4 year degree to figure it out.

anyway, I do appreciate your help. Not a lot of guys would take the time.

Thank you,

John

Hi John. just been looking though the manual for your dvr. and i think your problem is the software you have got on disk http://www.ipremoteview.com/

this has nothing to do with your dvr.

i will send you a new manual to see if the settings are the same as your manual.

Hey Tom,

Thank you, you're the man!

This is what's so strange. I have tried it on both my desk top and lap top with the same results. and stranger still, I cant access my user control panel on my laptop, only the desk top. I use Firefox as my main browser but, the DVR instructions say this software only works with IE as it is. there is a way to use it with FF or Chrome but the instructions are in translated Chinese and don't make any sense. I'm not sure what you mean by not using activex, isn't that the only way I can accsess my cameras when I'm away from home, like say at work?

I called Verizon support and they would be happy to help me with a 30min tech call for a one time fee of $40 or a monthly fee of $10 for a minimum of 10 months.

Gee, how's that for service?! I'm thinking I'm going to start looking for a good deal on another modem that isn't so screwed up it takes a 4 year degree to figure it out.

Thank you,

John

First of all, if the DVR says it supports IE, this will NOT ever work with any other browser, period. Trust me, been there, done that. The issue is that only IE can run ActiveX controls. Your issue most likely is that there are at least a half-dozen security settings you need to change in IE for an untrusted ActiveX control to work. Does this work on the local network? I am not sure if you stated that here or not. I have setup lots of these types of DVRs and have worked with networks for over 20 years, so it can be done....it's just not easy.

First of all, if the DVR says it supports IE, this will NOT ever work with any other browser

Sure, if the firmware ONLY supports IE. Seems like the OP has mentioned it does support FF and Chrome, only the directions aren't readable.

Here's a doc that's probably generic enough to get FF going.

http://www.q-see.com/files/HowToFiles/E-Setting%20up%20Firefox%20for%20Remote%20Access.pdf

I have a hunch though that port forwarding is still an issue. It's actually not that hard but if you don't understand it, it can be very frustrating. Do you have no one in the family who's a computer wiz? A gamer that can port forward all the live long day? You're probably better off trying to find someone who can get you going in a matter of 15 minutes, rather than endure the hell yourself. Best of luck. Hang in. It'll be worth it.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to thank everybody that offered there input with my problem.

A big thanks to Tom for getting me up and running, THANKS TOM! " title="Applause" />

You guys rock.

Thank you,

John

If the DVR says it uses ActiveX, it cannot be used with anything except IE, period.

ActiveX is a browser add-in technology that is exclusive, proprietary, and all Microsoft (and it sucks). I have been working with PCs for more than 20 years and have configured dozens of DVRs to work with ActiveX and it's not pretty.

The way I make this work (seriously) is to have a VMware ESX server at home, and I have an instance of Windows XP running as a guest OS, with an instance of IE 6 running on that PC. That virtual OS runs the ActiveX control required by my Everfocus DVR. I connect remotely to that virtual PC via the UltraVNC app on the PC and via the MochaVNC app on my iPhone.

Any PC, whether it's local or remote (like at work) would need to have those same ActiveX controls installed in IE, and also every single one of the security settings configured in IE (which basically turn off all security in the web browser so the ActiveX control can work).

I have been working with PCs for more than 20 years and have configured dozens of DVRs to work with ActiveX and it's not pretty.

must be the dvrs you are using

Firefox will work with many ActiveX cameras/DVRs by using the IE emulator addon. Google firefox ie addon to see what's available.

Yes, it's a pain, but it gives some alternative solutions if whatever version of IE you're using causes trouble.

I've also found that some ActiveX cams require the http:// in front of the ip address, while others won't work if it's there. It's a mess, and there's a lot to be said for avoiding anything that specs IE as a requirement.