Sign in to follow this  
7kMI

Suggestions for new DVR

I'm looking for a DVR to replace a time lapse VCR that quit working a while back. This setup is for our retail store, and we currently have 8 cameras and an Everplex 8BQ multiplexor. The cameras seem decent, dome style, b/w, I don't think they have sound, but not positive. The multiplexor is old, nothing fancy, but it works alright.

I'm having a hard time settling for any particular DVR model. I start leaning one way when I'm looking at the security magazines that come in the mail (securityandmore, etc.), but then it seems like anyone that's "in the know" around here wouldn't touch the stuff those places sell.... So, I'm looking for advice, and suggestions for particular models here.

My budget is ~$850.

There are 8 cameras, so would it be best to continue using the mux and find a higher end single channel DVR, or might there be one with 8 channels that I should consider? Would it work/make any sense to use a 4 channel unit and still use the mux for the remaining 5 cameras? Of course, I want feeatures (remote connection w/built in server, doesn't matter whether web or software on client end), SD or CF slot, and a decent HD to get started without upgrading right away.

I've noticed several people suggesting GE units, but others have been mentioned as well. I'm really hoping someone can help me narrow it down to at least 2.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Price range to get GE DVR will not be possible - unless if you can find it on EBay... However, you can get a Sanyo 9 channel DVR with 80G hard drive (available limited time only) for under $1,000 - comes with all the bells and whistles and with 3 years warranty. Here is the product specs: http://sanyo.com/industrial/security/digital_video_recorders/index.cfm?productID=450

Levon

Thanks for the information Levon, that one looks pretty good. Just have a couple of questions. What is involved in upgrading the hard drive? Does it have to be anything special, or would most current HDs work? Also, what is involved in setting up the web server? Just wondering if it's a matter of hooking it to the router and making a couple of adjustements, or if there is a lot more to it.

Thanks again.

Is there any chance someone else may have a suggestion on a particular model DVR for my situation? I'm considering the 600GB Sanyo that Levon suggested, however I still have unanswered questions. Or might someone have answers for my previous post?

thanks,

Derek

This DVR has (2) hard drive bays. You will remove the top cover and the carefully remove both cages. Install any size hard drive and make sure you secure it to its cage. Then make that the you place the hard drive jumper for master and slave for the appropriate hard drives. Connect the ATA cables and the power.. That is it... The system will automatically configure the new hard drive configuration and does not require any formating or partitioning.

You need to use only ATA hard drives with 7,200 RPM speeds.... NO SATA HARD DRIVES PLEASE...

We are upgrading these units to 600GB and takes us less than 15 minutes...

As for the webserver, it is already built it...

Please PM me if you want and I will give you more information...

Levon

Well, you can also consider the AVTech AVC776.

9 Channel DVR 100FPS (Display) 18 FPS reecording (PAL).

Price over here in singapore for it is ard USD$xxx w/o hdd.

USD$xxx w/200GB hdd.

[edit by mod - please only retail end user pricing]

Don't bother using a single channel DVR and using your multiplexer.

You'll lose all the cctv features. e.g. enlarging any of the camera during playback, motion detection, etc.

actually with a single channel DVR anda Mux, you have all the features like that, i still have 2 of them in the field and they always worked well. Depends what brand you use, they were Kalatels Muxes and DVRs.

Hmm.. maybe. Maybe coz the one I've tried so far are DVR/Multiplexer from different manufacturer.

Customers got their own multiplexer and tape recorder, wanted to upgrade. And the multiplexer manufacturer doesn't make dvr.

Also, 1 channel and 4 channel dvr doesn't have much difference in prices. Might as well get an integrated unit to save on integration problem.