bpzle

Powder Coating Shop. Anyone ever done?

We're putting in a basic system for a powder coating shop. It's just to monitor production and employees.

I planned on using outdoor rated bullets w/ sun shields. They'll be sealed so nothing gets inside but the concern is with what may stick to and build up on the glass in front of the lenses.

I know Bosch makes some extreme environment cameras with windshield wipers, but honestly this camera system just isn't going to be THAT important to these guys to warrant the price tag associated with such cameras.

Has any experimented with using some sort of saran wrap type of material that could just be peeled off the lens and replaced periodically or as needed?

How about using box cameras inside sealed housings (Pelco 35xx, for example) with replaceable front glass? Then if it ever gets etched or embedded with particles, just swap the glass (nice little rectangular piece, should be able to get a ton of them cut for cheap).

That's a good idea and I love Pelco's housings but I was hoping for something their maintenance guy could easily climb up a latter and replace. Not to mention Pelco's parts are probably just as expensive as anything else their selling these days...

I ordered some tablet screen protectors so I'll be anxious to see how they test

That's a good idea and I love Pelco's housings but I was hoping for something their maintenance guy could easily climb up a latter and replace.

Ah, there is that... how about some kind of spring-clamped slotted frame in front of the glass that you could just drop in replacement cutouts?

Not to mention Pelco's parts are probably just as expensive as anything else their selling these days...

Ah, but that's the beauty of the 35xx series: the glass is a rectangular piece clamped in by screw-down clamps; you could get them cut at any glass shop.

I ordered some tablet screen protectors so I'll be anxious to see how they test

The only issue I'd foresee with that is the same human element: the maintenance guy will have to be on the ball enough to get them on straight, or at least straight enough to fully cover the lens area.

How about a combination of the two ideas? Use the Pelco housings, or something else with a readily-available glass design, and then use screen protectors on that? The maintenance guy can swap the screen protectors as needed, and over time, if the glass itself does become affected (picture: maint guy is out of protectors so just peels off the old one and leaves it at that), you can make a service call to replace it.

They still have to be sealed well enough that the residue doesn't get INSIDE the housing... most cheap ones I've seen have more ventilation than a McDonalds burger line.

If you had an outdoor dome camera, you could apply some Novus #2 Plastic Polish to the dome periodically. Any 'overspray' from the powder coating floating through the air should not be able to stick to the plastic dome.

If the site is a powder coating line then one would assume they have piped air available (usually used on the guns). If this is the case run air up to each camera position (you only need low pressure in something like a 5mm pipe) and then use an air nozzel to point at the screen of each camera housing. By creating an airflow on the screen you will keep it clear and won't have to worry about build up.

Nozzels come in various formats and air "shapes" so you can create a flat air flow on the screen almost as if you were pointing a traditional washer unit at the housing.

Done it a few times successfully.

Just finished applying the film as a test... I've only tested at night, but so far I'm pretty pleased. The film covered both the lens and separate IR glass on the bullet...

Without film:

With film:

The goodies:

1802950848_withoutfilm.jpg.922d9840ee3d6ea25fbda56e797010a3.jpg

1644524296_withfilm.jpg.001c1c2d4af19ed5aeacb58867041cb4.jpg

2089478449_patenedpendinglensprotectorkit.jpg.2c8048187ccba70db79df94ad1506496.jpg

Hi,

Generally your idea is right but I think you should take well eclosure w/ Blower and fans to clean the dust and cool down the camera.

If you need more infromation please feel free to contact me.

From what I know about powder coating, which isn't much, the powder doesn't adhere until it is heated up in the oven. Have you actually tested the adherence quality to glass, plastic from over spray?

Housing glass (provided it is glass) can be cleaned using jeweller's rouge. A rouge paste like substance that can polish out light scratches and remove traffic film and train fallout. You can also use T-Cut paste or Farelca rubbing compound using loads of soapy water.

Jewellers rouge can be bought at watch repairer's suppliers. I think there are some sellers on ebay too.

I do like the idea of the peelable screen protectors, sound very simple and as we all know it's the simple ideas that are very often the best ones.