jokerone

Static IP for the outside world?

I’ve got my DVR step, and I can access it from inside my LAN (home ) via the client software and IE on my desktop. Currently using IP 192.168.1.108 (default).

I’m assuming I need to give the DVR a static IP that is accessible from outside my LAN in order to see it using IP from a remote location (ie, work)?

Is there any easier way than paying my ISP for a static IP?

thanks

I’ve got my DVR step, and I can access it from inside my LAN (home ) via the client software and IE on my desktop. Currently using IP 192.168.1.108 (default).

I’m assuming I need to give the DVR a static IP that is accessible from outside my LAN in order to see it using IP from a remote location (ie, work)?

thanks

Google "free ddns"

takes 2 min to setup

thanks

hi jokerone. a static is for your external ip. so no need to do anything else with your dvr if you can connect via your LAN.

you may need to do some portforwarding. but to see your system away from your home you need your external IP click here from the same network your dvr is on and you will see your external ip. http://www.whatismyip.com/

then ask a friend to try and log on (in most cases you cant log onto your own WAN)

so your external ip would look like http:// your external from link : port

once you have got it up and running you might need to use a ddns service if your ip keep changing.

Easier? No.

Cheaper? Yes.

Dynamic DNS is the way to go. If your equipment/software supports it, you will have a host name in a domain that will resolve to whatever IP address your ISP assigns to you, and will update automatically whenever your IP address changes. Beyond that, if you're running NAT or some other IP-address-sharing scheme (and, judging by your 192.168.x.x address, it seems that you are), you'll need to set up port forwarding as well.

The details of all of this are going to vary depending on what hardware and software you're running. At my house I run a Linux box as my Internet gateway, so I can help you with that if you're running a Linux box also.

no-ip.com offer free DDNS forwarding.

Create a no-ip account, choose a domain name that you like.

Make a note of your account details.

Then in the DVR configure DDNS to point to the no-ip account, using the account details as above.

In your router admin, configure DMZ if available, (easiest option) and add the internal I.P of your DVR into the DMZ. If not, then you may have to configure port forwarding, which isn't too difficult, but DMZ is easier.

Once this is all set up, you should be able to connect externally using your domain name:port number. ie http://mydvr.no-ip.org:80

Just be aware though, that you'll probably be unable to connect to this external url, from inside your own lan, so you'll require the assistance of a buddy or a smart phone 3g connection to prove it works.

Chances are without paying for a special package with your ISP they will not give you a static IP address as there is a shortage of addresses. A DDNS option will work perfectly however they take a little effort to setup.

I would give your ISP a call to find out what a static IP will cost. Depending on your current internet service I've seen upgrade charges range from $5/month all the way up to $80. Doesn't hurt to call and ask. DNS is a great solution but I find static IP addresses to be far more reliable and easy to troubleshoot if they do fail.

Colin B

www.compatiblecameras.com

Even if your IP address isn't static you can still use it to access your DVR, make sure you have the ports forwarded.

exactly...this is where it gets a little tricky because:

1. some routers have different phrasing on port forwards

2. some all in one routers/modems from the ISP dont give you alot of port forwarding options

3. sometimes the easiest step is forgotten... turning on the webservice in geovision.

also, you dont need a static PC on your LAN, but i recommend it, especially since you are opening ports. if you open ports to 192.168.1.108 (geovision PC) and the IP changes to .109, your DVR wont be accessible over the internet.

If your not setting your DVR/NVR as a static or reserved IP your just asking for remote connectivity issues.

I agree 100 percent.

I don't bother with dhcp reservation, I just statically assign it an ip address that is outside the dhcp range/scope.