Soundy

More for the Installation Hall of Shame

Beam clamp looks just as tacky as what they have done here, DRILL into this with a metal drilling bit and then SCREW or BOLT the camera in.

A good hammer drill and a proper metal drill bit will usually work, I mean sometimes my 18V cordless has to take a back seat while I pull out the big toys.

There was time when my 18V cordless was indispensable, but as time becomes more crucial I have to use my SDS drill more and more. I have brought my dad's B&D electric out of retirement for drilling applications that need a bit more power too such as hole sawing in wood or plywood. My cordless is still very useful for running conduit (it's a hammer action too) and drilling for the conduit saddles and inserting screws. For masonry there's nothing close to an SDS droll though.

My fav brand is Makita, no other comes close in my mind.

1990, working in car audio... all the other installers had either 7.2V Makita drills... I bought a 2.4V Milwaukee cordless screwdriver. For anything but actually drilling, it kept up with them nicely.

Was eight years before the first battery kacked completely, another three years for the second.

I still have that same screwdriver today, still going strong. Got a second one for home, too.

22+ years later, still gotta go to Milwaukee first.

A good hammer drill and a proper metal drill bit will usually work, I mean sometimes my 18V cordless has to take a back seat while I pull out the big toys.

hilti_nail_gun-1.jpg

There was time when my 18V cordless was indispensable, but as time becomes more crucial I have to use my SDS drill more and more. I have brought my dad's B&D electric out of retirement for drilling applications that need a bit more power too such as hole sawing in wood or plywood. My cordless is still very useful for running conduit (it's a hammer action too) and drilling for the conduit saddles and inserting screws. For masonry there's nothing close to an SDS droll though.

This is my go to SDS drill.

Makita20BHR202RFE20Lithium20SDS20Hammer2-1.jpg

I was looking at getting into a Makita system, but they don't have a vacuum, and I want a system that has a vacuum. My coworker picked up a six-tool Ryobi One+ package a few years ago and has been steadily adding to it, including most recently, a really nice little canister vac that's GREAT for pulling string through conduit.

The One+ system is nice because the entire line works with the same batteries, whether NiCad or Lithium, whereas everyone else has at least two or three different styles/levels/voltages of batteries... and they seem to have a wider assortment of tools than any of the other big names, including a wicked six-at-once battery charger/conditioner (most I've seen from anyone else is a two-slot charger).

Only drawback to the Ryobi stuff is, it tends to be more of a "handyman-grade" tool... which is great for stuff that doesn't get used a lot, but for those go-to tools that you need all the time, it doesn't stand up so well (the drill that came with his kit sort of self-destructed on him a little while back...)

I was looking at getting into a Makita system, but they don't have a vacuum, and I want a system that has a vacuum. My coworker picked up a six-tool Ryobi One+ package a few years ago and has been steadily adding to it, including most recently, a really nice little canister vac that's GREAT for pulling string through conduit.

The One+ system is nice because the entire line works with the same batteries, whether NiCad or Lithium, whereas everyone else has at least two or three different styles/levels/voltages of batteries... and they seem to have a wider assortment of tools than any of the other big names, including a wicked six-at-once battery charger/conditioner (most I've seen from anyone else is a two-slot charger).

Only drawback to the Ryobi stuff is, it tends to be more of a "handyman-grade" tool... which is great for stuff that doesn't get used a lot, but for those go-to tools that you need all the time, it doesn't stand up so well (the drill that came with his kit sort of self-destructed on him a little while back...)

I have the same kit and I love the tools in it, but yes sometimes I have to pull out different tools to get the job done, I slowly add to mine when I see their different tools on sale. Only thing I hate is they discontinued the sales of their Tek4 inspection scope in canada! Not about to drive to the states to get one.

I have never tried a MIlwakee power tool as until recently they weren't widely available in the UK. They look pretty well made and those who use them like them and guard them jealously. They do have a screwdriver that I am tempted by.

When all I installed was two way radio, I used to use a 7.2V Makita for everything except masonry when I used some obscure brand provided by my employer. My first drill was indeed the Makita 7.2 Volt single speed. SOOOOOO useful but as time has gone on with the need for more and more power I have reverted back to my corded SDS.

I do like the look of that cordless SDS Makita and with Li Ion technology I could revert back to cordless again some time, I have seen a few cordless SDS drills and I am willing to bet they are impressive in use. I would be in the market for a cordless low voltage screwdriver and the Milwakee looks great and judging by your recommendation it will have a good service life.

I may well get one before the year is out.

We have used both Milwaukee and Dewalt tools. It has been our experience that Milwaukee makes quality tools which we felt were better then Dewalt in terms of quality, and durability.

I think you will not be disappointed.

my Milwaukee drill lasted 8+ years of constant hammer drilling through concrete walls .. the thing was solid .. eventually the salt air killed the chuck when it was sitting in the garage for a couple months and by then it was pretty worn anyway .. going to get a new cordless hammer drill in the next few days, and it will again be a Milwaukee.

^You can always just replace the chuck...

I would be in the market for a cordless low voltage screwdriver and the Milwakee looks great and judging by your recommendation it will have a good service life.

This is the one... the version they sell today is pretty much identical to the one I got in 1990 - shows you how reliable the design is:

41BM45VSS6L_SL500_AA300_-1.jpg

(Pictured is the single-speed version... mine are both dual-speed, with a slider on top to switch the gearbox).

I love the form factor with the thumb control... the forward/reverse push switch like you find on most drills, is really awkward on something this small... and the design that has the rocker switch in the trigger position is just plain awkward, especially when removing a screw (having to both push and pull at the same time is WEIRD).

I also have this Makita... 7.2V Lithium *impact driver* in a nearly-identical form factor:

15249.jpg

The Milwaukee is great for working on computers, because of its slower speed and lack of excessive torque... the Makita is just too fast if you want to back screws out just a little, or snug them up lightly.

Only thing I hate is they discontinued the sales of their Tek4 inspection scope in canada! Not about to drive to the states to get one.

My buddy and I have been admiring the Tek4 tools for a long time... last few months, Home Depot has been blowing them out, usually at half price or less, so we've been stocking up. I have four of the 1W flashlights (marked down from $20 to $10), three of the utility lights ($7), got the multimeter for $44... scored the display unit of the inspection scope for $50(!!)... got the jobsite camera off the display for $50 as well. We stock up on the batteries anytime we find them, because once those are gone...

Also have the laser level, a couple of the power sources... really wanted to get the headphones when they got stupid cheap... oh yeah, and the batteries normally cost $13 each, and the standard wall charger goes for $12, but every now and then they have a package with the dual-port quick charger WITH a battery for $20.

^You can always just replace the chuck...

So expensive here, after all those years was not worth it ..

(plus I opened it up to clean it and that was the end of the rest of it anyway LOL)

recently picked up a dewalt 20v max hammer drill and impact driver.

rugged, more powerful than the 18v, has bright LED lights so I can see (and they stay on for like 30 seconds after I quit drilling), batteries last a long time and are quick to charge, and most importantly... they're super light. if you like 18v dewalt, you'll love the 20v max line.

downside is cost but i got these on a black friday sale for cheap.

Interesting installs... People usually take the easy way out not usually the smartest way

You are so right, okay everyone has a different approach thats okay, but leave a clue at least.

I hate it when I have to make repairs on an install that the installer has done everything to

create difficulties for anyone that follows. For example, changing junction box screws for

security screws (not a problem now) and leaving no indication of what their wiring scheme

and colour scheme is for anyone that follows to immediately understand. Using jelly crimps

where they are not appropriate such as in power connections.

Anyone following me will have everything laid out on paper which will be in a document folder

near the DVR and when I need to put in security screws I indicate on my wiring schematic.

I think this is a duty to the client and a courtesy to others in the business.

Still haven't bought that electric screwdriver yet, I need new ladders as a priority.

After my current job ends, I may will have the spare cash to spend this month.

Forget the ryobi if you want to get your work done with tools that can handle it, not ones that are for light duty homeowner stuff.

I have 98% makita....here is a link to the vac (yes, they do have one) i have it and it's great...they have either vac only, if you already own makita battery and charger or they sell full kit...

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-BCL180W-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless/dp/B0039ITKLU

Check out this pic of my enclosed work trailer....2 shelves of mostly makita power tools (cordless)...also have some corded sds drills and what not, not in this pic..

You can see the vac in this pic though

IMG_0046-1.jpg

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Those 20V units are actully 18 volts, they just rounded up as away of differentiating the new model and battery style.,Just so ya know. (its yellow cool aid...) Did I mention I am not a Dewalt fan?

recently picked up a dewalt 20v max hammer drill and impact driver.

rugged, more powerful than the 18v, has bright LED lights so I can see (and they stay on for like 30 seconds after I quit drilling), batteries last a long time and are quick to charge, and most importantly... they're super light. if you like 18v dewalt, you'll love the 20v max line.

downside is cost but i got these on a black friday sale for cheap.

Yeah, I just saw that vac at KMS Tools today... must be new, they didn't have one at all when I was looking at Home Depot a couple months ago.

However, I've found those little "Handy-Vac" types really don't work well for pulling string through conduit - they just don't have the "oomph" of a good canister vac.

Yeah, I just saw that vac at KMS Tools today... must be new, they didn't have one at all when I was looking at Home Depot a couple months ago.

However, I've found those little "Handy-Vac" types really don't work well for pulling string through conduit - they just don't have the "oomph" of a good canister vac.

true, but they are so much easier to carry around...

The last of the great Makita’s may have ended when they wound down production in Japan.

I bought a Japanese Makita 13mm hammer drill nine years ago and the build quality of that is way above the Chinese units made today. A while ago, a carpenter was doing a job for me. His Makita rechargeable failed and he laughed his guts out at my old 7.2 volt Ryobi. He then ate his words and continued to use my old Ryobi for several days: always with a little chagrin (embarrassment). As tough as those old Ryobi rechargeable units were, they are incomparable to the new range of Ryobi Lithium Ion units. The baby below has huge torque and is lighter to carry. It is so excellent, I wish I had forked out the extra $40 for the hammer option. (My Makita hammer drill is an uncomfortably heavy brute.) The Ryobi is part of a new range of units with interchangeable Li batteries.

1852584167_Ryobicomp.JPG.0795f0379527d0cf84fe7efbbce7389a.JPG

Nope. Didn't say that.

I am saying that the 18v Ryobi Lithium Ions are excellent. They were selling for close to the price of the Makita rechargeables a few months back.

The old Ryobi 7.2s were are tough as nails but not as much grunt as the Lithium Ions. My old unit outlasted many batteries.

I hope the new Ryobis prove to be as robust as their forebears.

Edited by Guest