Soundy

More for the Installation Hall of Shame

I love the roofing tar! little extra water proofing...

and why in the world wouldn't they at least cut off the the old crap hanging there?

Nice pics guys! My work must be professional compared to some of these!

By the way.. earlier in the thread (page 1 or 2) there was talk of using double-stick tape and glue for cameras.. My brother (who obviously won't be reading this) "helped" my mother in the kitchen by attaching a cabinet over the stove area (to the ceiling) with marine adhesive -- there was nothing supporting it but the adhesive. Obviously my mom didn't see him do it but he used NO screws and months later after the cabinet was sagging about 4 inches and my brother-in-law & sister came to visit (in Oregon) and he about freaked out.. He immediately got a huge pile of books to stack up under the sagging ends and to temporarily support the entire cabinet before it just let-go and fell.. Luckily he came in time and was able to properly secure the cabinet in the attic to the studs using proper fasteners.. Doh! My mother, to this day, has not told my brother about his 'quality' work.. And, she will no longer allow him to "help" her out..!

Came across this gem at a Murphy Oil gas station...I had to swap it out because "it quit working"

189574_1.jpg

189574_2.jpg

Yep that's a camera held to the breaker box with packing tape, stuck right to the warning label...

" title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />

ran across this the other day. I was called out because the client had lost all out door cameras,the green and yellow line are mini coax

photo.JPG.7c14fcbd102bf2f4be62c245f31e96d6.JPG

Edited by Guest

Found this while browsing YouTube. Not as bad as some of the examples here, but seeing all those wires draped willy-nilly all over the place just makes me cringe.

Mc9a-MYNtZk

Found this while browsing YouTube. Not as bad as some of the examples here, but seeing all those wires draped willy-nilly all over the place just makes me cringe.

Mc9a-MYNtZk

That video was done by a very active & helpful member here who did a first time CCTV install for his home. Actually not bad for a first time DIY job in my opinion.

Wow... wires all over that sucker. Looked like he had some other non-camera wires at the bottom on one part. My wife would kill me if I had any wires showing on the outside of the house like that. When I installed my cameras I made sure I had zero wires showing on the outside of the house. Only wires I had showing were the settings cable looped out for a bit as I adjusted things. Once I was happy with it all the wires went stealth.

That video was done by a very active & helpful member here who did a first time CCTV install for his home. Actually not bad for a first time DIY job in my opinion.

I'll second that. He also provides some much needed perspective and with the tight shots actually has better coverage where needed than some of the "nightly news" shots. I'll take usable shots over a few temporary wires anytime...

Another great installation at a local school in North Texas. Someone must have found the box of seal-tite and decided that was "good enough"!

2012-08-07_18-07-24_871b.thumb.jpg.f1b06d0cb6b85c9e2dab74722427d399.jpg

2012-08-07_18-09-13_399b.thumb.jpg.dfdad4d88c4d563377197e7a63a068f5.jpg

I'll second that. He also provides some much needed perspective and with the tight shots actually has better coverage where needed than some of the "nightly news" shots. I'll take usable shots over a few temporary wires anytime...

I do agree on the great resource, no denying that. Just needs to improve a bit on the install, I'm hoping he has since this looked like the initial install. Everybody has to start somewhere and learn from their own mistakes.

Another great installation at a local school in North Texas. Someone must have found the box of seal-tite and decided that was "good enough"!

I bet if you looked on the roof of that building, you can put a ladder on there and still not reach the top of the brick.

More than likely, the handy box is the highest point of entry into the building and thats why that installer

did what he did. It may look horrible, but I have a feeling there was a reason.

I bet if you looked on the roof of that building, you can put a ladder on there and still not reach the top of the brick.

More than likely, the handy box is the highest point of entry into the building and thats why that installer

did what he did. It may look horrible, but I have a feeling there was a reason.

I've encountered that more than a few times. But I use rigid conduit then. I only like seal-tite for the < 1 foot from the box at the top of the conduit to the camera. It's also cheaper to use conduit than that much seal-tite!

Agreed, it comes out straighter and cleaner if rigid is used. I was just explaining in case someone did not realize why the guy put a box so far down and than went all the way up. I'm also guessing its covering a large parking lot. And I only like to use seal tight if I have to come off the building with it, not running on the building.

Oh man... after reading these I will now be firing up my camera. I am always getting griped at by my wife and daughter for staring at wires everywhere we go, but now I have even more of a reason to do so!

Has anyone else here attended the DoD basic installers course out in Arizona? I am sure most of you did BICSI stuff, but this is the Gov't equivalent and it is how I was trained.

Ok, I found one to start with. This is an LMR-600 cable attached to a wireless bridge, we were going nuts trying to figure out why it did not work... this would be why. This was after my guy poked at it for a while, but the solder glob was shorting the pin to the housing in a VERY big way!

IMG_0061.thumb.jpg.d8b6e6d2e65bd9cfe1674b9a6327cb6b.jpg

This is all of the alarms, telephones, CCTV and data links for a main guard house at an Army base. Oh and to make it worse it is right on the front of the guard house so if a car were to ram it, all of this stuff is toast. We replaced a bunch of this stuff recently... they are much safer now!

IMG_0036-1.thumb.JPG.a8ddf87dca7dac559360abaa891c8f12.JPG

New weather proofing procedure.

This is a picture of the camera connector

pushed into a 1/2" hole and covered with silicone.

588190464_2012-09-2713_15_45.thumb.jpg.eff5a16018a4f5e1d9775d9be2f6b02d.jpg

Well I suppose you could say that at least an attempt was made to reproduce the adobe look of the wall,

I've seen holes where no attempt to seal was made whatsoever.

I thought the first one was rather artistic......NOT!