Soundy

More for the Installation Hall of Shame

I recently went to maintain a system where the installer had not only used indoor cable outdoor, he seemed to treat the rainwater gutters as a cable tray. Yes he ran cables along the inside of the gutters. Some of the gutters were full of leaf debris and weren't flowing fully. Next time I am on that site and I find some more I will get the mobile out and take some snaps.

New weather proofing procedure.

This is a picture of the camera connector

pushed into a 1/2" hole and covered with silicone.

This is exactly why I use junction boxes, I mean the cost is billed back to the customer anyways.

This is exactly why I use junction boxes, I mean the cost is billed back to the customer anyways.

WELL SAID, the whole point of a junction box is to weatherproof the connections and to make them accessible so the camera can be positioned and focused without the need to move it again. A IP Junction box is our service access point.

Unfortunately, some cameras just don't look right with a junction box next to them, i.e those little eyeball domes, and they have a deep ring that replaces their base and creates space for the connections, but there are two things wrong with that too.

Firstly it's impossible to access the connections to target the camera and the damn things cost £10 each which is in some cases 30% the original cost of the camera. Finally and here's the killer, they aren't water resistant in the least.

They seem like an poorly thought-out jerk-reaction to an installer issue. Whichever MORON thought these out, has never had to install a CCTV camera in their life.

237980_1.1237980_2.1237980_3.1

( the far right one is mine)

To make these work FOR you, you still need to install conduit and a junction box near the camera to make the connections accessible and thats if the lead from the camera is long enough. On some cheap cameras they are often not long enough to go anywhere except in a JB directly next to the camera YUK looks awful.

WELL SAID, the whole point of a junction box is to weatherproof the connections and to make them accessible so the camera can be positioned and focused without the need to move it again. A IP Junction box is our service access point.

Unfortunately, some cameras just don't look right with a junction box next to them, i.e those little eyeball domes, and they have a deep ring that replaces their base and creates space for the connections, but there are two things wrong with that too.

Firstly it's impossible to access the connections to target the camera and the damn things cost £10 each which is in some cases 30% the original cost of the camera. Finally and here's the killer, they aren't water resistant in the least.

They seem like an poorly thought-out jerk-reaction to an installer issue. Whichever MORON thought these out, has never had to install a CCTV camera in their life.

237980_1.1237980_2.1237980_3.1

( the far right one is mine)

To make these work FOR you, you still need to install conduit and a junction box near the camera to make the connections accessible and thats if the lead from the camera is long enough. On some cheap cameras they are often not long enough to go anywhere except in a JB directly next to the camera YUK looks awful.

I see this all the time when people want to install bullet camera outside, they want it wall mounted and they want me to shove the connections in the hole in the wall allowing the cabling to enter the house. I have never done this and never will, seen many people ruin the pigtales from the camera doing this.

I usually end up mounting the bullet directly to the junction so they it is sort of hidden behind the camera.

The problem with doing that is when you need access to the connectors to focus or target the camera you have to move the camera to get at the connections ten AFTER having got it all adjusted, you then have to move the camera again too replace the connectors back inside the junction box. This is why I always place the junction box on the wall adjacent to the camera.

There is also the point that drilling holes through an IP box destroys it's benefit as water ALWAYS finds it's way through.

I have seen this method used but I don't think it's for me.

I believe a camera needs to be mounted on a rock-solid bracket and that onto a rock-solid surface this way the camera doesn't move after having spent time targeting it. Some of the cheaper cameras come with pathetic brackets and it doesn't take a lot to move the camera messing up it's position.

I carry a few replacement types in the van and charge extra for them, if the client is too cheap and doesn't want to pay for an extra bracket, they often end up paying a call out charge for re positioning the camera after a string wind or a bird knocked it. These cheapskates nearly always moan but I simply tell them I offered you the option and you refused, it's hardly my fault!

Take a look at this ugly contraption, it is a manufacturer's own JB and although it's metal and rock solid, it's so UGLY

237997_1.1237997_2.1237997_3.1

.................................This is horrid.............................This is weak and flimsy.......................................These work remarkably well

I saw this while driving home the other day and had to take a pic.

Tony the Tiger approves!

Ghetto installs... they're grrrrreeaat!!

240929_1.jpg

I saw this while driving home the other day and had to take a pic.

Miley Cyrus CCTV Installs......

ROFL

We install with a wreeeeecking baaaalll...

Found at a local Sonic drive in. It is seeing a good view of the pole and the roof of the gas station across from it! Wish I'd taken pics of the box cams under a gas station canopy, they weren't even in enclosures, and had lenses coated in grime!

20140726_184859.jpg.c8e2dcd6d6a220bd863748e040d19ff9.jpg

That's more a sign of lack of maintenance, the installation looks perfectly sound to me.

Some dummy has moved the housing obviously and the owners can't be bothered to

spend money or time on getting it sorted out or their CCTV system has long since gone

out of commission.

Thats like advertising 'EASY BUSINESS TO ROB' to the criminal fraternity.

Why don't they take out a small ad in Jailhouse Times?

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Here's one I saw, and saved the picture. This was at a fast-food drive-thru... and presumably to see who is in the vehicle. Unfortunately, they mounted it at EXACTLY the right height for vehicle mirrors to hit it.

On the upside, it's clear those Samsung domes can take a beating!

badplacement.thumb.jpg.d09f91e16fa2095313b795451727ee77.jpg

That's more a sign of lack of maintenance, the installation looks perfectly sound to me.

Some dummy has moved the housing obviously and the owners can't be bothered to

spend money or time on getting it sorted out or their CCTV system has long since gone

out of commission.

Thats like advertising 'EASY BUSINESS TO ROB' to the criminal fraternity.

Why don't they take out a small ad in Jailhouse Times?

true, it's not a bad install, but a sure sign that the system isn't ever accessed to look at footage, or it's no longer used. still careless on the part of whoever maintains it (if anyone does)

Man, I wish I had a picture of the install I saw in Newark NJ back in may.

There was an older style camera housing on the side of the building (typical heater/fan type enclosure) and then mounted on the housing itself were two bullet cameras.

Yeah, they were on the housing. They were regular cheapy outdoor bullets, not box cameras that would be in a housing.

It lookedime the housing has little cameras on its back

Yeah I know there is a sort of sick apathy towards CCTV at some locations, I too hav seen cameras mounted on top of dead units, the principal being that the site operator didn't want to pay a fee for removing the old dead unit

IF IT AINT EARNING US MONEY WHY SHOULD WE SPEND MONeY REMOVING IT is the logic.