jokerone

Good License Plate camera for under $150?

Is this possible?

A 9-22mm IR WDR camera for about $150 or less? Are the camera makers just stamping "License Plate" camera on a regular 9-22mm and then doubling the price or am I missing something?

I need a camera to pick a plate on a car at night. The car might be moving at speeds of 20 mph or less.

The distance would be about 75 to 100 feet.

If its not possible for a $150 camera, just say so. I dont' want to spend $400 or more on a camera. Its not that important.

Also what would be my biggest limiting factor? Darkness, resolution, distance?

thanks in advance.

If its not possible for a $150 camera, just say so.

So.

Are the camera makers just stamping "License Plate" camera on a regular 9-22mm and then doubling the price or am I missing something?

I need a camera to pick a plate on a car at night. The car might be moving at speeds of 20 mph or less.

You can capture clear images of license plates using a "regular" camera, but it needs to be a pretty good regular camera. The following features are essential:

* Fast shutter speed. 1/1000th of a second works well.

* The camera must allow you to set this shutter speed as the slowest under any lighting conditions.

* Progressive scan helps a lot, especially at larger capture angles.

* For night-time capture, a good source of light is absolutely critical.

* You also need a way to filter out the glare from car headlights.

Commercial cameras typically use an IR-pass filter and an IR illuminator to solve the latter two problems.

As you have probably realized by now, there's no way in hell you're going to get all that for $150.

So.

Are the camera makers just stamping "License Plate" camera on a regular 9-22mm and then doubling the price or am I missing something?

You can capture clear images of license plates using a "regular" camera, but it needs to be a pretty good regular camera. The following features are essential:

* The camera must allow you to set this shutter speed as the slowest under any lighting conditions.

Commercial cameras typically use an IR-pass filter and an IR illuminator to solve the latter two problems.

As you have probably realized by now, there's no way in hell you're going to get all that for $150.

thanks. yes that was what I figured.

What about this one?

Its about $260

http://cctvdiscover.net/webfile/manual/camera/je7600.pdf

What about this one?

Its about $260

junk. watch out for china crap. if you want a camera like that look at geovision anpr but alot more money.

your problem is going to be the 100ft (30m) what will you be recording on ..... you also need a good FPS unit.

What about this one?

Its about $260

junk. watch out for china crap. if you want a camera like that look at geovision anpr but alot more money.

your problem is going to be the 100ft (30m) what will you be recording on ..... you also need a good FPS unit.

thanks.

If you can find a camera that has a negative image option you can have better luck recording license plates. I used to use Samsung 4300 series box style cameras with built in zoom lens. They were around 350. You can find some lower price cameras with OSM that have the option in the menu. The reason for the negative image is with a reflective plate at night, any light from another vehicle will wash out the plate on a standard camera with autoiris lens.

If you can find a camera that has a negative image option you can have better luck recording license plates. I used to use Samsung 4300 series box style cameras with built in zoom lens. They were around 350. You can find some lower price cameras with OSM that have the option in the menu. The reason for the negative image is with a reflective plate at night, any light from another vehicle will wash out the plate on a standard camera with autoiris lens.

good idea. thanks.

Hi everyone,

I came across this camera here:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/102326/210286126-329361829/License-Plate-Recognition-Camera-LPR-camera.html

and was wondering what you thought about this and/or if somebody had bought it. I also had a look at the KPC-LP500. Would the KPC-LP500 be the one to go? Or is the above mentioned camera not too bad?

I don't want to kidnap this thread but it may help the original poster as well.

Here is what I want to do:

The camera is about 12meters (40ft) away from the number plate in a 3.8meters (12.5ft) height. I want to monitor the entrance which is all up 7m (23ft) wide.

The camera will be facing west so afternoon sun will be a problem, however, it will be sitting under an eave. There are several other cameras to pickup the shape and color of the car but not the numberplate. The entrance is not well lit at night. The speed of the cars are maximum 30km/h (18mph) with the number plate at the front to be detected. I would love to get my hands on a LPR software later on but if it is too expensive - it doesn't work out.

I put my questions in this thread as I also don't have a big budget. I would love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

I would recommend getting the right camera for the job, I usually don't tell a customer that it will "kinda" work.

The Bosch REG-X has done the job for us many times, however it costs some money. Bolide has one that could do the trick for close to 400-500 US dollars at a internet shop near you.

http://www.bolideco.com/productinfo.aspx?ProductID=BC2035-HQDNVLIR

Just a random google search:

http://www.securitystoreusa.com/Bolide-BC2035-HQDNVLIR-Vehicle-License-Plate-Cam-p/bc2035-hqdnvlir.htm

I think this issue should devided into two, one do you need all-in-1 solution ANPR or you just need a camera which support capture LP.

If you only need camera there are many type you could choose. Box, Bullet, Dome.. All depends on your project.

Thank you very much for your replies.

Eos,

looking at the specification of the Bosch it seems that the range is only 7.6m (25ft). The number plate will be about 12m (40ft) away. I checked out the Bolide BC2035 it looks interesting and it is also within my price range Have you used this camera before? I could not find any reviews on the net.

Joseph,

I have not found an ANPR system that I can afford (and able to run & understand). So I thought if I could get a camera that does the job of recording the numberplates for the moment and later, if I ever get my hands on a software I could just give that a try without buying a new camera.

But for the moment mainly to catch all number plates. I hope that makes sense

looking at the specification of the Bosch it seems that the range is only 7.6m (25ft). The number plate will be about 12m (40ft) away. I checked out the Bolide BC2035 it looks interesting and it is also within my price range Have you used this camera before? I could not find any reviews on the net.

Bosch have a lot of models for LPR, and software, they were doing this for years when nobody else was in the game (under the Extreme CCTV brand).

So.

You could do it for $250: CNB BBM24F or Bosch 495 used ~$100, CNB MIR 10 deg IR unit ~$100, IR long pass filter ~50. I've had good luck with both those.

I can't remember if the shutter speed can be set on a Bosch LTC0355 ~$5-10 used, if so you could do it for $150-ish. It helps if you shop for the steepest cutoff longpass you can find, if you get serious I can look up what I used I think it was from B&H, screwed on to the lens.

Long pass cast material from Edmunds does not have a steep cutoff. Look for 087C material.

Record at 2CIF expanded. Also depends how large of an area you are trying to capture, it worked best for me zoomed in to about the width of a car. Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find progressive scan in that price range. The CNB works really well for some reason, really brings out the contrast on the plates. Also it helped being up above the car, not right at headlight height.

I can't remember for certain but the attached is I think with the cast longpass and a big Raytec but you're looking at much less distance. This pic is cropped somewhat to remove the entire plate.

1151041156_platebbm24fagc81-250s75yards.jpg.ca589b40e5299fa89e7c40b383753410.jpg

Edited by Guest

So.

I have one of these cameras.

http://www.directron.com/cmb160wtd.html

With an IR illuminator couldn't it capture a clear image of a plate?

The only thing that confused me is this

first you say fast then you say slow, which is it?

fast. he said slowest under any conditions meaning if you can't set it fixed to a fast speed in the menu, it will revert to a slow shutter speed under low light. e.g. some Bosch have default shutter in addition to fixed. Default maintains that shutter as long as there is enough light, then slows it down. Fixed is just that, fixed period.

fast. he said slowest under any conditions meaning if you can't set it fixed to a fast speed in the menu, it will revert to a slow shutter speed under low light. e.g. some Bosch have default shutter in addition to fixed. Default maintains that shutter as long as there is enough light, then slows it down. Fixed is just that, fixed period.

Thank you... Why do we need a fast shutter speed for this application?

Ahh ok so what does it mean when camera specs say

Electronic Shutter: 1/60 ~ 1/100,000

That's just the range of potential values. You need a way (through the on screen display usually) to set a minimum or a fixed value. Check your manual.

^Some cameras will let you set a fixed shutter... some will let you set a min/max value... some don't let you set it at all, and it's just controlled by the camera.