jpmad4it

Which DVR system will satisfy these requirements?

Hi all,

My first post

I have been looking around for a DVR system that will do the following:

- night vision / ability to record at night - 10m minimum

- record continuously for at least a month

- allow me to backup video from the DVR on to a USB stick or other external storage

- 2 indoor cameras that send video wirelessly to the DVR would be great. Wiring the cameras to the DVR is possible, but I would prefer wireless.

- ability to view real-time footage from my iPhone via an app.

- security alerts to an email address / telephone number

- ability to view recorded footage on PC

I have seen these 2 products, but I am not sure if the cameras are wireless and whether they send security alerts:

- Storage Options 53317 DIY Home CCTV Kit with 500GB DVR and 2 Cameras

- Storage Options 52405 CCTV 500GB DVR with 2 Outdoor Camera BUNDLE

Does anyone know of a system that can do all of the above? I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me find something.

kind regards

Jonathan

Wireless cameras are unreliable and lower quality at a premium price in my opinion. The only time I would consider using them is if wired is not an option. They also tend to be very proprietary, so if you want to upgrade cameras or the DVR later, you have to stay within the same brand and they may not have upgraded equipment available. And even wireless cameras still need to have power, so they aren't completely wireless anyway. If you have to run a power wire, you might as well run the video at the same time and get a higher quality wired camera.

Dahua DVRs will do everything you are asking for (other than the wireless cameras) at a very affordable price. Available in the US under a few different names, but the best to buy is QVIS. Best price and 3 year warranty on DVR.

Hi thanks for the info. I guess wired is the way to go then. Do you have any kits in mind or any links to products in mind? Thanks again

It would help to know what you're willing to spend, as your specs could be fulfilled for anything from $300 to well over $3000. Obviously everyone wants to spend as little as possible, but I wouldn't suggest going for the bottom end of that scale.

Rather than looking at a "kit", you're better to look at the specific purpose of EACH camera, and choose a camera suitable for that use.

Unfortunately I'm at the bottom end of that scale. £200 or $320 is myth limit really.

If anyone can help me find any parts to put together for that amount it would be great.

Easy, Dahua DVR and 2 Color IR cameras.

Check AData for Dahua in the UK. 4-ch for $140 retail in the US (plus HDD).

If you cant afford the HDD record to your computer over the network for now.

not sure what 10m is but sounds more than the Cheap Color IR distance, want to go up a step or get the cheap color IR camera for now then upgrade as you can afford it. Cheap cameras are a dime a dozen so I wont get into that especially as you are in the UK and not this side, but check CNB and KT&C for mid range cameras, or try the chinese IR cameras with Sony Effio Chips (700TVL) which can be half the cost of the big brands for the same specs (less availability in most cases but okay for just a couple cameras).

IR Distance are rarely what they say they are so always go over. If its just indoors then you likely dont need a TDN camera, just a color IR, even the cheap one can normally suffice especially for the Infrared distance as indoors you have alot of objects for the IR to reflect off, but higher res will help with quality. Outdoors is just much more difficult.

And oh yeah forget wireless, you dont have the budget for good wireless and even then its only so so for indoor apps, especially if your walls are all brick.

IR examples:

1349377647_IRBulletComparisonNightPITCHDARKOutside.jpg.b3baef4d755aa6262fc87cfd537eefa3.jpg

Easy, Dahua DVR and 2 Color IR cameras.

Check AData for Dahua in the UK. 4-ch for $140 retail in the US (plus HDD).

If you cant afford the HDD record to your computer over the network for now.

not sure what 10m is but sounds more than the Cheap Color IR distance, want to go up a step or get the cheap color IR camera for now then upgrade as you can afford it. Cheap cameras are a dime a dozen so I wont get into that especially as you are in the UK and not this side, but check CNB and KT&C for mid range cameras, or try the chinese IR cameras with Sony Effio Chips (700TVL) which can be half the cost of the big brands for the same specs (less availability in most cases but okay for just a couple cameras).

IR Distance are rarely what they say they are so always go over. If its just indoors then you likely dont need a TDN camera, just a color IR, even the cheap one can normally suffice especially for the Infrared distance as indoors you have alot of objects for the IR to reflect off, but higher res will help with quality. Outdoors is just much more difficult.

And oh yeah forget wireless, you dont have the budget for good wireless and even then its only so so for indoor apps, especially if your walls are all brick.

IR examples:

[attachment=0]IR Bullet Comparison Night PITCH DARK Outside.jpg[/attachment]

Thank you for your reply.

This DVR looks very suitable: Apollo Zeus Lite 4 Channel H264 DVR with 500GB Hard Drive (http://www.ielectronic.co.uk/cctv/digital-video-recorder-dvr/apollo-zeus-lite-4-channel-h264-dvr-with-500gb-hard-drive.html)

I would like infra-red cameras that I can use with the above product (mid-range like you have outlined). Ideally I would place these cameras inside the house, looking through a glass window to the area surrounding my house. Do you have any ideas of what I could use?

Really appreciate everyone's help here.

You will need to place them outside otherwise you can get glare from the IR and or the IR just wont perform at all. The only way it may work is if the glass of the camera is flush up against your window with no gap at all.

Otherwise any CCTV camera will work with any DVR. As long as it is not an IP camera and it is a CCTV camera it will work, uses BNC connections.

You will need to place them outside otherwise you can get glare from the IR and or the IR just wont perform at all. The only way it may work is if the glass of the camera is flush up against your window with no gap at all.

Otherwise any CCTV camera will work with any DVR. As long as it is not an IP camera and it is a CCTV camera it will work, uses BNC connections.

Ah I see, outdoor cameras it is then!

Ok I will look at the cameras that you suggested.

Much appreciated.

I'm really struggling to find a camera. Can anyone help?

What things should I look out for apart from IR night distance and BNC connection? What average price should I be looking at for a mid-range camera?

Also, what kind of cable should be used?

Thanks once again.

RG59 Siamese .. though if you are DIY cat5 with baluns may be easier.

The camera question is a loaded question.

First though, are you sure you need IR?

RG59 Siamese .. though if you are DIY cat5 with baluns may be easier.

The camera question is a loaded question.

First though, are you sure you need IR?

At the front of the house, maybe not as there is a street lamp about 4 metres the left of the front door. The light isn't brilliant though, it gives off the orange kind of light.

At the rear it is very dark so I think IR would be needed.

Ok So cat5 is the cable and a balun is a converter that lets you plug power into the cameras whilst transmitting the video from camera to DVR?

the balun is for video, though some also come with a power connector.

I see. Any idea on cameras, I'm looking to spend no-more than £60 ($100) per camera really?

I see. Any idea on cameras, I'm looking to spend no-more than £60 ($100) per camera really?

Im not in the UK so cant help with that sorry.

Available products will be different over there.

Give Tomcctv a PM. He is located in the UK and can help you out.

Ok guys, I've bought the DVR and camera below:

- CCTV H264 Standalone DVR Zeus MK2 Lite 4 500GB

- CCTV Camera Sony Effio 700TVL 9-22mm IR OSD

What cable to do I need to hook this up?

I've been looking at:

10M CCTV Pro RG59 +2 (Shotgun) Cable BNC + Power Cable Connected

Will this cable work? Will I need a power supply adapter for the camera, as it doesn't ship with one?

Is there anything else that I need to get up-and-running?

That cable should be sufficient for you. The description that you gave is a little vague, but it sounds like a pre made cable with RG59 and power (not sure what gauge) with connectors already attached.

Yes, you will need a power supply for the cameras. You will want to look at the specs for the cameras you purchased. It should list the power consumption with IRs on. Make sure that the power supply you purchase will provide enough power. Most power supplies provide 850mA to 1A, so you should be fine since I've rarely seen any decent cameras that draw more than 500mA, but just make sure.

That cable should be sufficient for you. The description that you gave is a little vague, but it sounds like a pre made cable with RG59 and power (not sure what gauge) with connectors already attached.

Yes, you will need a power supply for the cameras. You will want to look at the specs for the cameras you purchased. It should list the power consumption with IRs on. Make sure that the power supply you purchase will provide enough power. Most power supplies provide 850mA to 1A, so you should be fine since I've rarely seen any decent cameras that draw more than 500mA, but just make sure.

Thanks, the link to the cable is here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CCTV-Shotgun-Cable-Power-Connected/dp/B004UDJ6AI

The description is badly written, but here it is:

10M CCTV Cable BNC + Power Cable With Connectors? it is used to BNC surveillance camera to any security monitor or DVR, or TV, or VCR and so on. BNC connectors crimped to RG59+2 (shotgun) DC 2.1 plug and socket are solder connection to RG59+2 (shotgun) for permanence conducting. (the cable with the screw terminal may not well conduct due to screw lose, threaded and corrosion). Specification: Connector BNC Connector, DC 2.1mm Connector Total Length 10m Color Black Package Content 1 x Video Power Cable Description: * Power and video signals transmitting in one cable. * Easy to install this plug and play cable with your security camera, no power point needed.

I think that is saying it has BNC and power connectors crimped to the cable.

- BNC connector to camera - BNC connector crimped to a RG59+2 (shotgun)

- BNC connector to DVR - BNC connector crimped to a RG59+2 (shotgun)

- The wire has a DC 2.1mm connector to plug into a power adapter, which plugs at the wall.

the only thing i dont understand there is the "BNC connector crimped to a RG59+2 (shotgun)"

Does that mean the RG59+2 is the connection that attaches to the DVR?

You're right. That is poorly written!

Yeah, that should work just fine. The BNC connection is what you connect to your camera and to the DVR. That connects to the RG59 cable, but they've already done that for you.

The other end will be used to run power.

Hi,

As you list key features, there is one rare,

- night vision / ability to record at night - 10m minimum- record continuously for at least a month

- allow me to backup video from the DVR on to a USB stick or other external storage

- 2 indoor cameras that send video wirelessly to the DVR would be great. Wiring the cameras to the DVR is possible, but I would prefer wireless.

It is depends on Camera for IR or not and whcih resolution in low lux.

Others is not difficult for reaching the bar, e.g wirelss you could consider bought wireless Camera Tx/RX pair and hook up the RX device to DVR.

If you need any information, pls feel free contact me.

Hi all,

My first post

I have seen these 2 products, but I am not sure if the cameras are wireless and whether they send security alerts:

Does anyone know of a system that can do all of the above? I would really appreciate it if anyone can help me find something.

kind regards

Jonathan

Have you considered MOTION DETECTOR availability also, which will save you hours of scanning through to see recorded action, and save space on your hard drive also.

Hi all,

My first post

kind regards

Jonathan

Have you considered MOTION DETECTOR availability also, which will save you hours of scanning through to see recorded action, and save space on your hard drive also.

Hi - yes I think my DVR and camera support this, luckily!!!

I will be getting set up this weekend so hopefully all will go well. No doubt I'll be back here asking about settings etc

Hi all. I've had my system successfully up and running now for a few weeks - so thank you all very much, your help was awesome. However, I turned off the dvr as it required a reboot due to a change of settings. Now I am seeing "video loss" and no image. The camera is powered up as it has a light to indicate this. Ive tried my camera on different channels 1-4 and still no image.

It is pointing towards a faulty video signal cable or faulty dvr box. Does anyone have any ideas how I can test which it is?