ricochet

moving on to dvr

No kidding, we keep this up and we are all going to wind up at Scores making fun of the Union with Data over a few cold ones and a lap dance. And no Data, you can't dance on my lap...

scottj

You dont even need passwords, hell until recently all you had to do was go to INI file of geo and look for Password= xxxx sheesh, not rocket science, this is my point one day it will happen, so the more prepared we are the better, i ask my guys to get static I.P.s at home the Divar has a firewall built into it which is very bloody handy indeed.

Ask a simple question.... get a CCTV forum answer

ignore it all man, simply put, if you liek to muck around with it, get a PC based, if you dont want to play with it and it will sit in a corner get a standalone!!

I posted my assessment on a "true" embedded DVRs. Please refer to few posts above this and I wanted to focus on that, rather general embedded systems...

Being paranoid is fine - it makes someone to be very complete and there is nothing wrong with that... But sometimes you need to pull back from such mind set and smell the roses - The world is not as bad as you may think....

I have worked with many different embedded systems and yes, it is a pain to work with them. However it is even more difficult to work with PC based systems, as you have to configure the newer hard drive, format them, partion them, do all the updates, etc.... Yes, accedent do happen, but what is that have anything to do with taking control of the embedded DVRs remotely?

You can control the hard electronics BIOS if it is a flash BIOS and some of the embedded DVRs come with one - several that I do not want to note due to security reasons... However, if we are talking about BIOS chip that you burn with the code, well that is impossible to break remotely. It has never been done nor ever will regardless how hard your try - my engineering background confirms this statement without any hesitation...

I fully agree with you about the embedded system ability to autoconfigure is a bad form of a setup and if we are doing such installations, before we install, we always assign a specific IP address of customer's choice, setting up all the cameras and programming of the DVR and at the end is when we tie it to their networks...

look metz I agree about never done, hell if it did all mainboards could be toasters, but this is different, as you know MOST embedded true or not true systems have an upgrade facility this puts new code or changes the eeprom that stores the O/S (doesnt it) if this is interupted during an update, your dvr is about as usefull as a boat Anchor!

I may be wrong, no electronics engineer but if it can be upgraded by remote menas it can be damaged if the data flow is interupted, i dont really want to point out the OBVIOUS way in which you can do it, as this is not really a good idea, but I am yet to see a standalone that can not be upgraded and if it can be then it can be destroyed.

let me know if I am wrong.. I can Bear it

Scott, the shuttles have embedded systems and no hard drives - flash drives are what they use mainly... extremely expensive at the moment, but we will see them well may be in the next 15 to 20 years.... Anyone care for a flash drive

Levon

somehow i've become more confused, now which dvr is safe and easy to use

the ge dvrme ct is the one i think everyone can accept??? please i would like to here any objections or even other choices to this choice before i make a decision sometime this week. we have gone in so many directions but i think you all have given me a much better idea of what i should do, clearlyyyy i would not have be able to do this without your knowledge and experience.

thanks rick

Rick,

That is a very solid unit you mention. Sorry we go off in all directions at times (most of the time), did not mean to confuse you.

scottj

ricochet, great choice. You would be very happy with it. I have one set up if you want to kick the tires. I have crappy cams on there now (Pro-Video 627 and no lighting) and it is dark, but durring the day, nice shots. PM me and I will send you info.

Rick, if you can find (2) doctors that will agree on a procedure for the same patient, please let us know... In the security market, it is the same, you will never find 2 people agree 100% on which hardware and software someone may need for surveillance purposes...

If we confused you, we are very sorry for that... Your selection on DVMRe CT series is an excellent choice... It is an "embedded" system and it comes with many very useful features that you will use. Make sure that you get your 3 years warranty with it...

Levon

Man, would you all bunch of old men stop whinning about dvr this dvr that, and start planning to see what retirement home you are going to live on

Man, would you all bunch of old men stop whinning about dvr this dvr that, and start planning to see what retirement home you are going to live on

Which one are you residing at?

While you can't burn a chip carrying the BIOS out, you can render it unable to accept information if it is flash writable.

all i gots is left over card readers from you know what, if i had the time and money guys id test it out for you, send me a StoreSafe and ill see what I can do I know i can i knows i can

Actually for any of the Kalatel DVRs, if you upload the incorrect flash you leave the DVR inoperatable ...