7kMI

Cameras flashing on Sanyo DVR

A few months ago I noticed all of the cameras are constantly flashing on/off on my Sanyo DVR. It is a 9 channel unit which I purchased about 6 years ago. The LEDs in the buttons on the front panel also flicker, happens both on sequence and when the channel is manually selected.

The DVR seems to be working fine otherwise. I am using 5 transformers to power 9 cameras, so I doubt all of the transformers have gone bad..

Before I start pulling wires I thought I would ask for input.

Thanks!

Have you tried unplugging everything and plugging back in one at a time? Many times just power cycling the whole system will correct odd behavior.

I have, I power cycled both the DVR and the cameras. I should add that the only lights that are flickering are the ones indicating which cameras are on-screen at the time. The other lights on the DVR front panel are working normally.

Thanks for your response.

hi is your dvr white / cream in colour ???

also the lights are camera switch ??? all lights are on with ever how many cameras you have connected and they stay on. the only time they would flash is if you have switched on alarm function.

in menu look for setup then alarms click disable and then sellect all and then click confirm.

hi is your dvr white / cream in colour ???

also the lights are camera switch ??? all lights are on with ever how many cameras you have connected and they stay on. the only time they would flash is if you have switched on alarm function.

in menu look for setup then alarms click disable and then sellect all and then click confirm.

The dvr is cream colored. The lights that are flashing/flickering are the camera control lights only (numbered 1-9). Normally when in sequence mode it displays 4 cameras at a time, and the corresponding lights are solid on those buttons until it switches to the next 4 cameras. That does not happen now.

Currently the lights (and cameras) are flickering randomly as they are sequenced, and are never solid. The cameras very quickly flash from grainy to test pattern (multi-colored bars), occasionally saying no signal on certain cameras. It still sequences properly, but the signal is either bad or the dvr is not working correctly.

Thank you for your help.

I've uploaded a video showing what the DVR is doing. Would greatly appreciate any input.

the password is: video

Thanks again.

The lights that are flashing

hi. the lights also flash when set at alarm mode.

looking at your video. i would say that you have a problem with your VCR and not the DVR as it keeps flashing the colour bars (you would not get this from that DVR)

i would remove your VCR and connect your DVR straight to your monitor

The lights that are flashing

hi. the lights also flash when set at alarm mode.

looking at your video. i would say that you have a problem with your VCR and not the DVR as it keeps flashing the colour bars (you would not get this from that DVR)

i would remove your VCR and connect your DVR straight to your monitor

I should've mentioned that the VCR isn't connected to anything... I placed it on top of the DVR as a decoy (same with the "MUX" note on the DVR). The monitor is connected directly to the DVR.

I don't think the issue is related to alarm mode. The alarm light has never come on, and there are no alarm recordings.

Thanks again.

It's likely whatever is going on with the DVR is the result of a power surge, but I'm trying to figure out whether the local A/V repair shop might be able to fix it. On a side note, has anyone heard from Levon lately? I purchased the DVR from him years ago, and am interested in setting up a smaller (2-3 camera) PC-based system for another location.