Louie

Should I get megabit or gigabit POE switch? -16 Arecont Cams

Do you know the backplane specs. for the trendnet or the forwarding capacity? The cisco I have no has a 58.0 GBPS MPPS.

I have the SG-200 50P

12.8Gbps forwarding capacity, not as fancy as the Cisco, but still fair. One location has 20 2MP cameras connected (4mbps each) and we aren't running into any issues.

Obviously, since you have cameras going up into the 8~10MP range, that's a significant increase in traffic over what my customer is running. I don't know what the average bitrate of the Arecont cameras is, but you could do the math and I'd guess that 12.8Gpbs is more than enough.

Even with the 58.6Gbps we are still encountering lag in our live video stream. Our Customer wants the cameras to be fluid, thats the reason we went overkill with the switch and he still isn't impressed. Any ideas on make the live playback as fluid as possible. He wants 16 IP cameras up at once .

First thing would be to go to site and run Wireshark or some kind of data-capture/traffic-logging utility and see how much bandwidth you're actually using, before pinning it on the switch or NIC or anything else in particular. Could still be the VMS, the camera configuration themselves... any number of things.

What software and hardware are you using for the server, and are you recording and viewing on the same server?

Trying to get very high framerates can put a high load on the viewing computer, several VMS manufacturers I deal with recommend Xeon workstations with higher end video cards to get the kind of framerates you are looking for.

Also, settings in VMS software can affect performance greatly, one example of this is Milestone's smart client software, by default it tries to display at full resolution in split screen, with a massive performance hit, changing resolution in the client improves this greatly.

I agree with Hardwired. H.264 video is very resource intensive to decode and can frequently result in lost frames or video lag (depending on the cameras and the VMS software).

Check to see what your CPU use is. If it's over 80% then that could be where the bottleneck is.

@ thewireguys. Checked the bandwidth with the network tab at the exacqvision server, we have about 60% usage on the network utilization. As far a running wireshark or similar programs, haven't done it yet, customer is hesitant loading up software on his server. The crazy part about the scenario is we only have 3 cameras online right now. 2 - 3Megapixel and 1 - Megapixel??? Something is wrong!?

@ thewireguys. Checked the bandwidth with the network tab at the exacqvision server, we have about 60% usage on the network utilization. As far a running wireshark or similar programs, haven't done it yet, customer is hesitant loading up software on his server. The crazy part about the scenario is we only have 3 cameras online right now. 2 - 3Megapixel and 1 - Megapixel??? Something is wrong!?

60% of a 1G or 10/100 network?

10/100 etherwan switch with 2 gb ports the new all gigabit switch is a 6% but we are still experiencing lag with the all gigabit cisco switch SG-200 50P

10/100 etherwan switch with 2 gb ports the new all gigabit switch is a 6% but we are still experiencing lag with the all gigabit cisco switch SG-200 50P

What do you mean by lag? What model Arecont cameras are you using? What compression are you using? What FPS are the cameras set at? Do you know what latency is? Is this your first IP video install?

Is the NIC in your Exacq server 10/100 or gig?

Just checked our settings we are running in H.264 format not MJPEG. I'm still perplexed on why we are receiving a laggy system and choppy video, even with a new cisco ALL gigabit switch!

Even with a gigabit switch, if your NVR/VMS server does not have a gigabit network port and only 10/100, then the NVR could be what is slowing down the video. If you are using 60% of your network as viewed in the Windows task manager with only a few cameras then I would assume that you have a 10/100 connection. I've never seen a gig network go over 50% with less than 32 2MP MJPEG cameras at one time.

Please check to see if you have a gigabit network card or a 10/100 in your Exacq server.

Also, check your CPU performance on the Exacq server. H.264 is very resource intensive and if your CPU can't handle decoding all the video, this could be causing the lag.

Just to let everyone know after installing the Cisco SG200 - 50P switch our system is fully operational. "Backplane" had a lot to do with how our cameras information was being processed. Thanks for all the help, support, analogies, and input that was provided. I will try my best to help others and offer solutions like the help that was given to me. Louie

"Backplane" had a lot to do with how our cameras information was being processed.

It ushally is. Amazing how many switches out there won't even give the backplane spec.

When it doesn't show it in the spec it's probably not going to work for video.

Had a friend put 16 D1 cameras on a Intellinet POE switch. Cameras were dropping like flys even at 1FPS. Put a real switch in there and the problem went away.