FarmerCharlie

Analog camera cable for outdoor burial use

Could someone make a recommendation on the best cost-effective choice for analog video cable for runs of 500 feet or so from inexpensive Clover CCTV cameras? Most of the run will be in PVC conduit, but some will be above ground. I already have the power lines in Siamese cable I installed last year. I can find 1000 foot rolls of "Direct Burial Outdoor Quad RG6/U" for about $130. And I found Belden 1829BC for about $184. I think both use aluminum foil and braided aluminum shield. Someone told me that I really should use a copper braided cable for this. There are so many options that I'm just getting more confused the more I read.

Thanks,

Charles

You will not want to use foil shield or CCS (copper covered steel) cable for standard baseband video (CCTV). These cables are designed for cable TV type systems, the shielding at lower frequencies (like CCTV) is not adequate.

You might want to consider using direct burial CAT5 cable, with baluns.

You might want to consider using direct burial CAT5 cable, with baluns.

Maybe I ought to think about doing this. I would need to handle up to 4 outdoor cameras. The cables from the cameras to the balun(s) would vary from about 20 feet to about 200 feet. Do the inexpensive 4 channel baluns I see advertised really work? Would the availability of 12 volts from the existing Siamese cables make a difference?

I guess I need to start doing some reading.