pkfonline

DVR Mouse Operation thru IP KVM

Is there any DVR which can operate thru IP Kvms. i need to control the DVR's Mouse sitting in remote location. Please Help

pkf

Almost all DVRs that have mouse control can work through a KVM, the issue is having a KVM that will work properly. There are a lot of cheap KVMs that won't work properly with standalone recorders because they need a certain amount of power supplied, or don't detect the DVR, it really depends on the KVM.

As far as an IP KVM, it could work, as long as the KVM works properly with the DVR.

Is there any DVR which can operate thru IP Kvms. i need to control the DVR's Mouse sitting in remote location. Please Help

pkf

hi you should not need KVMs if you dvr is controlled via a mouse then you should also have mouse control over the dvrs remote viewer.

even if you you used a KVM you would still need to have the actual DVR screen at your remote location (to see what your doing with the mouse.

but if your dvr supports none of this then the other way is the slingbox. run both your dvr vga output and mouse and keyboad over the internet.

Thanks for your replies,

I tried with Atten KVM & Rariton KVM, DVR's mouse is not working. I do not know why!!!!. Please help.

PKF

Thanks for your replies,

I tried with Atten KVM & Rariton KVM, DVR's mouse is not working. I do not know why!!!!. Please help.

PKF

what make is your dvr........ are you talking about using your mouse and monitor away from your dvr but at the same location.

or are you looking to move the mouse over the internet at another location ???

Sir,

Dvr Make is ADVISION. I am trying to operate the DVR thru IP KVM, But mouse is not working. My Ultimate aim is to operate DVR's Mouse. Help would be much appreciated. Thanks

PKF

listen its much easier to answer the questions. it gives people a fighting chance to help you.

forget about your KVM for now.

are you looking at controlling your mouse local (as in your home) or away from your home (over the internet)

I would control it over Internet.

PKF

then its not a kvm you need. your dvr comes with remote viewer (via disk) you can use that.

179896_1.jpg

Thanks for your fast replies.

yes you are right. But i need to see the Video channel tour which is displaying at monitor. The Client s/w or CMS S/W does not display this Channel tour. If i have KVM switch i can see the exact channel displays.

PKF

yes you are right. But i need to see the Video channel tour which is displaying at monitor.

this is from monitor out from the dvr. and it does not have mouse control

More Over i cannot control the DVR's Mouse from remote end. Thru KVM i can easily control or operate the mouse.

look at slingbox forget KVM

Thanks for your replies.

See my objective is to control the DVR from Remote END. Controll means i need to operate DVR's Mouse from Remote END. Please help

I have 8 DVR's which i cannot connect to sling box.

PKF

See my objective is to control the DVR from Remote END. Controll means i need to operate DVR's Mouse from Remote END. Please help

use the software...... it is that simple. you have remote and a cms from that maker.

Thanks for your support and replies.

CMS Software which come along with DVR CD is only upto certain extent. It is not helpful in all the ways. In My case i need to control the DVR's mouse. I found no option in CMS. Please help.

PKF

Thanks for your support and replies.

CMS Software which come along with DVR CD is only upto certain extent. It is not helpful in all the ways. In My case i need to control the DVR's mouse. I found no option in CMS. Please help.

PKF

the only way you are going to be able to do this ... slingbox. as well as getting your mouse over the internet you also need to feed your vga out from the dvr. as that is the only screen that you can control with a mouse.

but is you want to view your dvrs and not let the people there see you are watching then that is another problem.

if you had a PC system then it would be easy. your only option is the remote software

Dear Sir,

I checked with slingbox. It does not support mouse operation. I have PC already near DVR. what i think is KVM is the only option to operate the DVR's. i need to find which one is the best IP KVM among in market. i checked with local KVM which mouse is not working.

PKF

I have PC already near DVR. what i think is KVM is the only option to operate the DVR's. i need to find which one is the best IP KVM among in market. i checked with local KVM which mouse is not working.

ok look at it this way......... you want the dvr screen if you want to use a mouse to control .... so you need to get the video out (the vga on your dvr) to the internet and also the usb mouse.

can i ask why you cant just use the remote viewer .......... what are you looking to gain. you can watch / play back / record / move cameras and take recording off.

your dvr is $90 slingbox with remote buddy is around $280 and you need 8. why ??

there is no option to manage Channel Tour.

do you mean when camera ficks from 1 to another ???? ok if you say slingbox does not work (i know 100% it does)

you have tour on remote.

give me your contact details let me explain it clearly. Am sure sling box will not suite for my requirement. Note you cannot change channel tour settings remotely, you need to present in front of DVR to change it. Am sure that KVM is going to suite for the reuirement and i need a good KVM.

PKF

Am sure sling box will not suite for my requirement.

well that was a 100% option .... vga sling box usb to sling box. .........remote end slingbox window and remote buddy to move mouse.

any way back to your idea KVM ....... HOW DO YOU GET YOUR VGA OUT OVER THE INTERNET mouse yes but you still need your screen to SEE the mouse. your screen on dvr and mouse are as one. you need both

anyway am done.

any way back to your idea KVM ....... HOW DO YOU GET YOUR VGA OUT OVER THE INTERNET mouse yes but you still need your screen to SEE the mouse. your screen on dvr and mouse are as one. you need both

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch#KVM_over_IP_.28iKVM.29

KVM over IP (iKVM)

KVM over IP devices use a dedicated microcontroller and potentially specialized video capture hardware to capture the video, keyboard, and mouse signals, compress and convert them into packets, and send them over an Ethernet link to a remote console application that unpacks and reconstitutes the dynamic graphical image. This KVM over IP subsystem is typically connected to a system's standby power plane so that it's available during the entire BIOS boot process. These devices allow multiple computers to be controlled remotely across a wide area network, local area network or telephone-line using the TCP/IP protocols. There are performance issues related with LAN/WAN hardware, standard protocols and network latency so user management is commonly referred to as "near real time". And, remote KVM over IP devices offer much smaller matrix frameworks.

Access to most remote or "KVM" over IP devices today use a web browser but proprietary viewer software can increase performance. A consideration of the viewer software relative to a browser based application is the area of ActiveX or Java security. Well formed implementations can be found across the major vendors today, yet there are many entry-level implementations that may not be as robust when it comes to security, performance and reliability. Important to note is that many of the stand-alone viewer software applications provided by many manufacturers are also reliant on ActiveX or Java. In addition, each major manufacturer is free to use various licensing mechanisms, some based on numbers of target devices, some based on numbers of users, and some based on numbers of sessions. In comparison to conventional methods of remote administration (for example Virtual Network Computing or Terminal Services), a KVM switch has the advantage that it doesn't depend on a software component running on the remote computer, thus allowing remote interaction with base level BIOS settings and monitoring of the entire booting process before, during, and after the operating system loads. Modern KVM over IP appliances or switches typically use at least 128-bit data encryption securing the KVM configuration over a WAN or LAN (using SSL)

KVM over IP devices have been implemented in many different ways. For the graphics capture portion, PCI based KVM over IP cards use a variation of a technique known as screen scraping where the PCI bus master KVM over IP card would access graphics data directly from the graphics memory buffer. In these cases, the PCI card must know which graphics chip it is working with, and what graphics mode this chip is currently in so that the contents of the buffer can be interpreted correctly as picture data. Newer techniques such as those used by OPMA management subsystem cards and other implementations obtain the video data directly from the graphics chip using the industry standard DVI bus. There are also a variety of ways to emulate the keyboard and the mouse remotely, but newer implementations emulate USB based keyboards and mice using the management controller.

Video over IP can totally be done... check out some of these:

http://www.avocent.ca/products/HMXDesktopOverIP.asp

http://www.avocent.ca/products/solution-server.asp

http://www.aten.com/KVM-Over-IP.htm

http://ca.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches?filter_KVMPORTS=8&filter_KVMINTERFACE=USB+and+PS%2f2&filter_KVMIPCONTROL=Yes

I haven't used any of these specifically, but I have used a number of other ATEN and Startech products, and both have been solid and effective. I'd recommend either brand.

Video over IP can totally be done... check out some of these:

yes it can be done and easy. IF pc based. this guy only has vga out on a standalone .

none of the KVMs listed will take and convert his vga. there is some out there but the problem is there $1.600 each he will need 8 of them $12.600 ....... sorry but to just change a dvr tour on a monitor is alot of money.

much better just to change all 8 $100 DVRs for a make he has full control over direct from the remote viewer