pkfonline

DVR Mouse Operation thru IP KVM

Video over IP can totally be done... check out some of these:

yes it can be done and easy. IF pc based. this guy only has vga out on a standalone

They have only VGA and USB connections, why wouldn't they work on a standalone? There's no special interface to the PC.

They have only VGA and USB connections, why wouldn't they work on a standalone? There's no special interface to the PC.

that would be ok if its just a KVM extender needed. this guy wants to control 8 remote locations via IP KVM. and since you cant plug vga direct into IP kvm thats a problem.

Umm, you can, actually... that's kind of the point.

i think we are getting lost somewere. i only know of 1 IP KVM that can compress and format vga for the internet, $1.600

none of the KVM listed on this post can do what the op is looking for as he has already found out.

none of the KVM listed on this post can do what the op is looking for as he has already found out.

"Reboot attached systems, access the BIOS, and have full control over the keyboard and mouse - as if you are on site" - how would it do that if it wasn't simply taking the VGA output and piping it over the internet?

Reboot attached systems, access the BIOS, and have full control over the keyboard and mouse - as if you are on site" - how would it do that if it wasn't simply taking the VGA output and piping it over the internet?

thats for a pc ..... so network out of pc to ip KVM that works. he is looking for VGA to ip KVM then out to network. you cant send vga video without it being compressed.

Thanks for your support and replies.

CMS Software which come along with DVR CD is only upto certain extent. It is not helpful in all the ways. In My case i need to control the DVR's mouse. I found no option in CMS. Please help.

PKF

Why do you want to control the DVR mouse?

Will the DVR's remote admin software not work?

What type of tour is it (sequencing or PTZ).

If sequencing then why not just create the same using the remote software?

Reboot attached systems, access the BIOS, and have full control over the keyboard and mouse - as if you are on site" - how would it do that if it wasn't simply taking the VGA output and piping it over the internet?

thats for a pc ..... so network out of pc to ip KVM that works. he is looking for VGA to ip KVM then out to network. you cant send vga video without it being compressed.

Tom... look at the photos of this device: http://ca.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/4-Port-USB-VGA-IP-KVM-Switch-with-Virtual-Media~SV441DUSBI

Tell me how it connects to the network ports of the client PCs to be able to control them while they're still on the BIOS screens.

OF COURSE it's compressing the video - nobody said it isn't.

Tom... look at the photos of this device: http://ca.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/4-Port-USB-VGA-IP-KVM-Switch-with-Virtual-Media~SV441DUSBI

Tell me how it connects to the network ports of the client PCs to be able to control them while they're still on the BIOS screens.

I imagine its just capturing the video coming into it?

And the bios just sees the mouse and keyboard etc as regular USB.

Ive used something similar by HP that was on a rack with a LCD monitor. It can be slow sometimes though and the occasional screen res issue with Geo, but it worked otherwise. It used cat5, I believe it was a network KVM console?

my favorite non IP KVM for regular use is the belkin USB - audio, usb etc including printers ... and not expensive.

Tom... look at the photos of this device: http://ca.startech.com/Server-Managemen ... SV441DUSBI

soundy from posts way back it is vga to KVM ....... the one you have listed has no connection for VGA ....

the vga you see in the picture is for local setup of unit only .

the only way he could get the link you posted to work would be to have a pc at each location have the dvr networked to the pc ............. but thats the problem he dose not want the remote screen as thats all he gets from the dvr network.

the KVM listed does not take vga direct. and we are best of looking at bios..... he is on a standalone no access,

http://ca.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/4-Port-USB-VGA-IP-KVM-Switch-with-Virtual-Media~SV441DUSBI

Thanks for all your replies,

after going thru all the replies, i again tell my requirement and what i need,

1) i need to control DVR's Mouse from Remote

2) i need to control Channel Tour settings from remote.

If above 2 points are clear i will be much happy.

Thanks again

PKF

Tom... look at the photos of this device: http://ca.startech.com/Server-Managemen ... SV441DUSBI

soundy from posts way back it is vga to KVM ....... the one you have listed has no connection for VGA ....

Really? Then why does the back look like this?

180400_1.jpg

Looks to me like a standard connector for a VGA/PS2/USB KVM cable...

Please suggestt is there any

1) wireless mouse which runs to some 100 Meters distance

2) can operate IR remote control to 100 Meters distance

if so then my problem will get solve.

PKF

I would suggest contacting Startech - I would be surprised if they don't have something suitable.

This unit does VGA and USB over an IP network: They have this VGA-over-IP extender: http://ca.startech.com/AV/Extenders/VGA/Ethernet-to-VGA-over-IP-Converter~IPUSB2VGA - doesn't appear to have anything that would support IR (serial control might handle that) but if you can control the mouse on the DVR, you should be good to go.

You could also try ATEN. This system for example: http://www.aten.ca/data/solution_new/ipkvm/page5_3_onnet.html

"Upgrade your legacy KVM installation to an IP-Based Solution

External Over-IP solution (KVM on the NET™) is an external over-IP solution. It allows you to enjoy the benefits of remote "over-IP" access and control of your server room by providing over-IP functionality to traditional KVM switches. It protects your original KVM switch investment, since it isn't necessary to discard your original equipment in order to achieve over-IP capability."

It's designed to connect to an existing KVM, as well as a computer... meaning IT DOES NOT HAVE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE COMPUTER; it's not a remote desktop type system, or browser-based on the remote end. If it will work with a KVM, it will work with a standalone DVR.

Really? Then why does the back look like this?

180400_1.jpg

Looks to me like a standard connector for a VGA/PS2/USB KVM cable...

yes they do. but you only need to click on the install manual on the same page and it tells you they are not for VGA ..... it is data only connection to PC computor port connectors nothing to do with VGA ..

ok will try and put it another way. KVM listed ..... you are only sending data from connected PCs to remote pc. anything over the net is data

this guy wants to send raw video from his standalone DVR ...... (direct from his VGA output) so he has connection problems 1. he cant talk back via his VGA (its output only) so he cant even get a ip address to even set the KVM up ..... then and this is what he wants ..... he still has no mouse control. as mouse is not sent out via vga.

if the guy had PC based systems like i did say back in second post he could do what he needs. but standalone $100 dvr. no.

but the other way to look at his problem. KVM listed is $880 ....... the guy can change every dvr he has for ones that will give him full control via mouse .... that will save him paying $880 just to move a mouse.

but still for what he wants. slingbox is made for. and it works

Dear TOM,

i have a pc near dvr's already. But still my purpose has not solved. see my problem is Mouse......

PKF

ok another way. and it still will NOT work.

your local........ DVR to your PC next to it. connection will be lan ....... so you call your dvr screen to your pc. then you go IP KVM sorry but is that not the same as remote viewing. (dvr -WAN -remote PC)

you are looking for the OSD that is only from your VGA. if your DVRs have managment remote you would have no problem .... but your dvr only has remote viewer and CMS.

i have just thought about what you are trying to do.

is it. all 8 of your dvrs back to 1 location ..... (1 screen) and you want to set a camera tour ???

Dear Tom,

All you said i have done. i.e. 1) All DVR's in one Place - Yes 2) All Dvr's Connect to LAN - YES 3) All DVR's Controlled Thru CMS - Yes (except VGA Channel tour settings) 4) All DVR's connect thru KVM - Yes but mouse not working 5) All DVR's Mouse control from a remote location - NO

Iam strucked here and finding for a device or some technology.........

(except VGA Channel tour settings)

like i said many posts back there is a KVM server. but the cost is 12k (for and for you to spend that type of money makes no sence at all. sit back make a cup of coffee and think about it ......... you can change all your $100 DVRs for ones that have a good CMS (full control) for half the cost.

But the big question and its been asked before. WHY do you want to watch the channel Tour. your systems dont record cannel tours why is this a problem for you.

why do you want to set up your systems like this What is the reason for it ???