shopafrolix

Geovision 'Video lost' messages v7.05

Hi, and look forward to using these forums in future.

First problem I have is 2 PC's running Geovision V7.05 having similar problems at same time ( 1 in UK another in Spain) 'Video Lost' appears randomly on different cameras. 1 PC is running 16 the other 8 cameras. I've had these systems since about 2005/6. In the past, each time a Video lost message appeared it meant power loss to camera and it usually came back on within seconds (they automatically reset) or I changed a faulty power supply. But since the start of 2012 (??) several cameras go off at a time and sometimes the Watchdog re-starts the program and sometimes re-boots the PC. I've checked all power supplies and cables and are all OK, BUT this is happening on 2 PC's in 2 different countries ! So I'm now at a complete loss, and search the forum and google don't find any answers - so anyone else help ?

Cheers

maybe bad cards or bad PC

Sounds like time for a new DVR.

When something that old starts to give problems, its generally not worth the labor in fixing it, especially with DVRs with similar or more features at much lower prices these days.

hmm they are old, as something to keep them limping, try upgrading to 8.xx most of them have the AGC (auto gain control) feature which generally really helps keep pictures up on the screen, Whole bunch of reasons why it could happen, but its weird they are happening at the same time.

Hope it helps, even if its a temporary measure till you replace them.

maybe bad cards or bad PC

Sounds like time for a new DVR.

When something that old starts to give problems, its generally not worth the labor in fixing it, especially with DVRs with similar or more features at much lower prices these days.

I agree 5-6 yrs working fine, your getting your moneys worth, upgrading to v8 will just give you more features if it was working fine previously )

so no one thinks that this happening on 2 remote PC's at the same time isn't a coincidence? What if my supplier, now ceased trading, supplied fake cards / software, would /could this happen years later ? How do I check authenticity ?

No I dont think so but anything is possible.

Otherwise Geo wouldnt normally just up and stop working after so long, legit or not.

Need to get the windows event logs, also check the Geo log.

Did you do any upgrades to the systems, like Windows Updates?

Any hardware changed on the system, anything?

I agree, but I did nothing to the systems, both are running totally independently and not used as a general PC. I wasn't even in the same country as the PC's when they both started playing up. They are not linked to each other in any way either. I use Log Me In to view the CCTV cameras. Does Geovision have an automatic update method ?

with both being on the internet. your PCs could have just done an update. (the reason for the restart)

you could run i check software from your system. but do you have the serial numbers to hand for your cards?

also what part of spain are you in with your oter dvr. lots of network upgrades going on in parts of spain. and some homes have been put on shared networks while new exchanges are built. which could slow your system down for remote viewing.

Hi, thanks for your help. Does Geovision carry out automatic updates? Whats i check software ? The system is actually in Tenerife, Spain and remote viewing is adequate

Ps. my version is actually v7.02, not 7.05, but I do have that version so may try a re-install

are you at one of the two sites right now?

i have a small LCD monitor that i use for troubleshooting cables AT the geovision DVR. if GeoVision displays lost video and the camera has power, the first thing i do is unhook the video cable from geovision and plug into my LCD monitor. if i get video there, then there is something wrong at the DVR end. if i dont see any video on my LCD, then i know the issue isnt with geovision. at that point, i start checking power and video connections.

in the past, a cut cable, for me, usually means a blown fuse as well.

so if power supply looks ok, then i either have a bad camera or a bad video connector.

but i know hardware setups are not the same for everyone. for example, i have used power supplies that dont have fuses, so you'd need a meter to see if you have voltage coming through on the other end, assuming your cable isnt cut.