paulnye

12V PTZ no power over 200ft siamese, but will 2 ft away.

Just installed a new speed dome approx 200ft away from office and joystick. Cabled with decent quality RG59U siamese. Fully tested the PTZ before installing and works great. It is powered by 12V DC (3.6w max) and comes with a 12V 1.5A p.supply. When the power supply is in the security office the installed camera will barely power on, maybe 1 in 20 times I get lucky and it seems to stuggle. When I take the power supply 2 feet away from the PTZ it all works good. I am upset that the camera isnt 24V AC instead because I have a nice power distribution box for that kind. When powered in the office I took a multimeter to the camera 200ft away and did confirm that its getting 12V DC ok. Is this problem due to the power supply not having enough amps for the distance? Is the power wire not thick enough? Should I try to have an electrician install an outlet closer? Thanks for any help on this.

Paul

Feed your 24vac to the siamese and use something like an AT12015-D01 at the camera end to get your 12vdc.

I normally power PTZs at the camera.

The decent brands normally come with their own weatherproof power supply box.

Is it not supposed to drop after the camera is plugged in? Can I plug in a 15v or something greater? or will i be left no option other to install an outlet by the PTZ?

I don't think even 24V would make it that distance over 18/2... I'd look at 14/2 minimum for 24VAC... larger still for 12. Local power would be the way to go, really.

I don't think even 24V would make it that distance over 18/2... I'd look at 14/2 minimum for 24VAC... larger still for 12. Local power would be the way to go, really.

What if it was cat5 being used. Could you use more than one pair ? And how would that affect the AWG ?

HAHAHAHAHAH plugging Cat5's gauge (24 AWG) into that calculator, with all the same parameters, yields this: "It is unlikely that this wire can support 3.6 amperes of currency at a distance of 200 feet."

Even using all four pairs for power, you get 9.24V drop. Four 24ga. pairs yield approximately the same area (and thus capacity) as 18ga.

HAHAHAHAHAH plugging Cat5's gauge (24 AWG) into that calculator, with all the same parameters, yields this: "It is unlikely that this wire can support 3.6 amperes of currency at a distance of 200 feet."

Even using all four pairs for power, you get 9.24V drop. Four 24ga. pairs yield approximately the same area (and thus capacity) as 18ga.

That's exactly what I needed to know Thank you!

Where is the link to that calculator?

3.6Amps is a rather large amount of power consumption!

Feed your 24vac to the siamese and use something like an AT12015-D01 at the camera end to get your 12vdc.

Seems a pretty smart idea. For $7 I can get one of those.

http://www.securitystoreusa.com/DV-AT12015-D01-p/dv-at12015-d01.htm

yes this will also work. but just to point out something you have listed your PTZ as 3.6amp i think you ment 1.5 amp this is why all the calculations are wrong. we are only talking 60m (200ft)

12v 3.6a (max)

yes this will also work. but just to point out something you have listed your PTZ as 3.6amp i think you ment 1.5 amp this is why all the calculations are wrong. we are only talking 60m (200ft)

Calculated voltage at camera should be 2.8V... measured is 1.8V... not that far off.

But there is another problem: the POWER SUPPLY he has listed as 1.5A... that would definitely account for the other lost volt.

Yeah the 24vac->12vdc converter I mentioned is only rated to deliver 1.5A at 12vdc. You need to have at least 20vac at the camera for the converter to work.

24vac at .75A should be fine for 200' of 18/2 (<1.8v drop)

Yeah the 24vac->12vdc converter I mentioned is only rated to deliver 1.5A at 12vdc. You need to have at least 20vac at the camera for the converter to work.

24vac at .75A should be fine for 200' of 18/2 (<1.8v drop)

But the camera *requires up to 3.6A at 12VDC* according to the listed spec.

Yes, it wasn't clear to me whether he needed 3.6 or 1.5. Curious that the manufacturer supplied a 1.5A wall wart for that camera.

If 3.6 is needed, he needs an outlet nearby or some heavy wire.