marufai

What kind of HDD we need to choose?

Normal HD's are best - just get 1 tb to 3 tb for your video

Excuse me? They might be "enough" in most cases, they are cheaper, but they are surely not "best".

The best thing you can do is set the DVR to always record, yes this eats up more space on the drive, however the drive is always in motion, as opposed to a constant start stop of motion recording.

I dont think you need to go with a super high end drive, most drives will usually give indication of failure, and I have only ever lost 1 hard drive, and I could hear it clicking away.

I'm using 2 WD blues in raid 1 for the OS (win 7) and 4 WD 2TB Blacks in a raid 10 my first DVR build.

The raid 10 controller is an Apaptec 6405e. The OS is using onboard Intel "raid"

You didn't say if it's a DVR or a PC. My experience on dedicated DVRs over a number of years is that HD temperature is more important than most other features (except basic compatability), especially if you have multiple drives in the box and they're mounted close together. Some DVRs don't have fans these days, which makes the problems worse.

This is true in PCs as well, but they often have more flexibility in drive placement and airflow, and better cooling management (like variable fan speeds).

I have a few rules of thumb for buying commodity drives for any application:

- Check the reviews for the model you're interested in at Amazon and Egghead. Look for a large number of 4-5 star ratings, and minimal reports of early drive failures in the most recent month or two of reviews.

- Avoid bleeding edge drives unless absolutely necessary. When 3TB drives are the latest and greatest, I try to buy 1.5 or 2 TB drives. It often costs a little more per GB, but the older designs are usually better debugged and have better manufacturing stability.

- Look for low power consumption, as well as reviews that mention how cool the drive runs.

User reviews are not always accurate and users sometimes don't know what they're talking about, but by the time you get a few hundred of them, you can get a pretty good consensus on a drive model.

Hi guys,

just wonder what kind of HDD we choose as storage? those normal HDD or performance HDD?

TQ

It's your own choice. Some like to have normal HDD and some love to have a performance HDD.

What kind of HDD we need to choose?

WD is an ideal for external storage and home entertainment products and uncomplicated and easy to use.

Also check out SEAGATE series- It also offer external storage with high capacities, durable reliability and performance tuned to the high-write workloads of today’s security video surveillance systems.

I took a chance and bought a 2TB external drive made by Hitachi. It was the cheapest 7200 RPM drive I could find, but I had to rip it out of the case to get to it.

it turned out to be one of the more expensive drives they sell as internal and was $120 cheaper than buying it without the enclosure. It seems to be working great.

There are a few other threads on this topic, For the main part, with stand alone DVR's you really want to be looking at mid range speeds and low heats.

Spindle speed really doesn't matter your not looking at fast seek or read times, your looking to record in bulk.

The WD Green series I wouldn't bother with the drive parking features on them are wasted on DVR's that are constantly recording.

Out of all the HDD's we use they have the worse failure rate, "The Raid Editions" are kind of an inside joke as they fail so often you better keep em in a self building raid array or else your screwed.

The Blues are very good value, they don't get too hot, and they are solid performers.

The Blacks are performance drives, they are great for many applications, stand alone DVR's are not one of them.

Seagate has some cool low power drives if you can find them with a 5900 rpm spindle speed which run a lot cooler.

Heat kills drives, http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecenter/2007/01/27/hard-drive-failure-heat/

There are way better articles out there, you've got google you can search for them, but its pretty much all the same.

Heat is a killer of HDD's and a lot of other components.

Most stand alone DVR's are linux based, they don't have page files or hdd based swap files, so the only writes and reads will be footage and its mainly sequential.

so you don't need a super top of the line boot your os sub 60 seconds type of drive here.

Also asp previously noted in this thread a lot of the new stand alone systems now don't come with fans, buuuuuut

some of them still use the same cases, which means you can put in fans in the spots.

Why take fans out?, cost, or sometimes motherboard revisions which don't require them anymore.

cost to replace fan $4 maybe, DVR running issue free for longer > $4