UnderCover

Capturing exterior through window ???

Hello all-

Here is the scoop. We oversee just shy of 100 medium to large facilities. We have been having issues with windows being broken pretty consistently at a handful of sites.

We want something mobile, and easy to connect. Wifi/IP/or local DVR is fine. The kicker is that we need it to be inside of our building, covering the exterior through a window. I know that IR doesn't illuminate through windows. This camera would ideally fuction just as a trail camera (trigger on motion).

I know that Logitech makes "Logitech Alert™ 750i Indoor Master" which I have heard about people using for similar situations but it doesn't seem to have a flash and I cannot find anything on low light performance.

Ideally, we would have a fleet of about 4-6 of these so they have to be relatively budget friendly.

Ideas?

Not quite correct, an IR bullet for example will give you reflections.

Separate IR unit and camera thru separate windows should fine. I've got an outdoor IR, and inside camera is looking at it through a window. I've also verified that IR will go through the window. Note that glass blocks some IR, so will not be quite as sensitive.

In theory, having the IR illuminators on the outside should produce a usable image.

Keep in mind that the outside of the window needs to always be brighter than the inside. If at any point it is brighter in the room than it is outside all you are going to get is reflection off the windows.

Keep in mind that installing inside is a less than optimal solution and you are going to run into some interesting issues with this installation.

See if you can borrow or buy a camera to test with (something that you can return) and try it out to see what kind of image you get. I'd also recommend consulting with a local installer, they will have a good idea what you options are.