tds1

Help with motion Detection settings

I have an AverDIgi hybrid DVR and 4 CNB VCM-24VF cameras. The AverDigi is set on Motion record, sensitivity 25 out of 100. 3 of the cameras are outdoor, 1 indoor. My issue is when I review the playback, it seems like the cameras are recording nearly continuously. The outside ones I guess I could understand with trees or branches moving from wind, but the one inside is of a stairwell - with no traffic it still seems to be recording. Would changes in light/shadow be triggering it? I looked at the CNB manual, and it looks like the camera has settings for motion sensitivity. I don't know what each is currently set at, or how you actually access each camera menu (some of the cameras are high up under eves and not easily accessible). Any advice as to how to improve my motion recording? I am assuming I am missing something obvious here since even the default setting seems like it should work better. I contacted the person that installed the cameras, and the response was that I should mask the trees outside. Any advice?

Update: OK - I am not very bright - I have been playing with the settings quite a bit and had switched it to Smart recording - which is low frame rate all the time and max frame rate with motion. OOPS! I will try again on Motion record, sensitivity 25 out of 100.

You can try masking out areas of movement, such as the trees, if possible.

Sometimes the issue is that the cameras produce a grainy image that is interpreted by the dvr as movement.

OK - it seems to be working much better in the daytime now - pretty happy with that. But all of the cameras are recording continuously at night - so it looks like you are correct that the camera noise is the main issue. Is there a way to reduce that?

Install PIR sensors on the outside connected to your dvr.These are worlds better for motion detection recording than using the dvr/camera motion settings..

OK - it seems to be working much better in the daytime now - pretty happy with that. But all of the cameras are recording continuously at night - so it looks like you are correct that the camera noise is the main issue. Is there a way to reduce that?

Camera noise at low light can be a problem for motion detectors. To reduce noise you should increase light, use more sensitive cameras or cameras with noise reduction function, but they are expensive. Try also cameras with low maximum AGC gain.

In low light such cameras produces dark images but without noise. Some cameras has adjustable AGC so you should set LOW AGC. After changing camera you should readjust motion detector sensitivity.