Sign in to follow this  
3RDIGLBL

NUFF SAID!

Watching TV last night with my wife we can hear loud snaps and noises outside. I told her it must friggen cold because that usually happens when it's cold. We live on a lake so the ice cracks and makes lots of noise when the temps really drop but our wood decks also make terrible sounds, almost like someone dropping a bowling ball from the second story onto the deck.

This morning I had to take a snapshot....

178035_1.png

I have some experimental cameras setup as well. I have an IP8332 and it is running via POE without issues, I have an ACTi ACM7411 running off POE "heater not running" and this camera has a little fogging in front of the lens but I can't tell if it's inside the dome or frost on the outside of it. I also have a budget camera ~$35 running without issue.

Hot enough this afternoon Im running the AC ... think its around 80 today.

Cant wait for the cold to come back ..

Question. In weather that cold, do you guys hibernate for a few months?

I"m still not sure why you need cameras to be operating at that temperature anyway. I guess I find it a little incomprehensible that anyone outside in those conditions would be in any shape to do anything criminal, other than litter your yard with their frozen corpse...

But, I suppose you guys might find it difficult to work here too, as it reaches +44C/110F in the summers....But it's a nice, dry heat...kind of like a pottery kiln!

On a more serious note, is there any CAT5/6 cable that's rated to be pulled into place during exposure to those kind of temperatures? I may be doing an install in an ice cream warehouse that's held at -15F or so.

Usually cable is rated for installation above freezing. If you're doing conduit runs, you can keep the cable somewhere nice and warm, and then execute your pull as fast as possible. I recently had to do that outside with a few hundred feet of cat5 and 14/2 in an underground conduit, when it was about 20F outside.

I"m still not sure why you need cameras to be operating at that temperature anyway. I guess I find it a little incomprehensible that anyone outside in those conditions would be in any shape to do anything criminal, other than litter your yard with their frozen corpse...

On a more serious note, is there any CAT5/6 cable that's rated to be pulled into place during exposure to those kind of temperatures? I may be doing an install in an ice cream warehouse that's held at -15F or so.

Along with cold temps like are people who adapt very well to the temps. We have a lot going on here when the temps are cold. People are out and about and actually last week a local business had a break in where the front door was smashed and computers were taken leaving the store open to the elements. When morning came it was below zero temps in that place so yes stuff still happens lol...

I'm not aware of a cold temp friendly cat5e cable. I wish I knew of one. I worked outside yesterday and it was 18 degrees. When I cut the jacket on my cat5 cable to put the connector on the jacket actually snaps when you bend it and the cut piece breaks off instead of flexing off. That cat5 does not want to bend what so ever. We try to keep it in a warm vehicle or in the building as long as we can but it literally takes less than minute for it to become brittle when it's very cold.

Good luck on your job. Just try to keep the cable as straight as possible to avoid kinks that could crack the jacket when trying to straighten. I find it's a two person job all the time in cold temps, one pulling and making sure it's fed straight.

Ask your cable supplier. We didn't use cat5/6 but we used FEP jacketed gel filled 18/2 on a job on the north slope of alaska, ran it outside with no problems. I'm sure you can find similar.

Wasn't cheap, and wasn't easy to work with. Works great though.

we put some paging equipment in a freezer plant running mostly 16/2 the cable would stay flexible long enough to pull it in but we had more problems with the terminations than the cable. I like that idea of the gel filled I guess you could put a chunk of it in a freezer and see how it acts.

Ya I would take Key West right about now!!! Hell I would take a zero temperature...

This from accuweather this morning. Think I'll be working inside today HA!

----------------------------

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST MONDAY...

* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 40 BELOW.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...21 BELOW TO ZERO.

Damn it gets cold here. I miss Boston weather LOL

Ya I would take Key West right about now!!! Hell I would take a zero temperature...

This from accuweather this morning. Think I'll be working inside today HA!

...WIND CHILL WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST MONDAY...

* WIND CHILL READINGS...AS LOW AS 40 BELOW.

* WINDS...WEST 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH.

* TEMPERATURES...21 BELOW TO ZERO.

Damn it gets cold here. I miss Boston weather LOL

Key West !! Its bloody cold down here too, 58 degrees this morning bbbrrrr