paulnye

Outdoor camera recommendation

I need approx 16 analog outdoor cameras and my budget is $150-200 each (just for the cam)

1. Low light but not night vision (don't like picture quality during the day on IR cams, plus we have lights in the parking lot)

2. Varifocal - need adjustable zoom from wide to medium (maybe 2.8 to 8mm ish) a couple of them I might need superwide if it available.

3. They will mount to a poles so they won't be under cover so do I need waterproof or weatherproof?

4. Prefer discreet look and not the large enclosures. It's a church and trying to avoid it looking like an airport.

I was looking at the VCM-24VFH from CNB but prefer the look of a bullet.

Does anyone have a recommendation?

Curious as to the size of the carpark?

Is the objective to cover the entire carpark rather than the entrances and exits?

It might be a minority opinion but bullet cameras in a church carpark undermine the ambience and may not be appreciated by the laity.

Small enclosures aren't as aggressive looking as large enclosures.

Small enclosures look picturesque and professional.

And the visual impact of enclosures reduces the need for excessive numbers of cameras. It's a 'less is more' approach.

this may be one of them times were you are best going IP something like the axis or mobotix. you can use less cameras but get better coverage than you would with 16 analog cameras.

plus with the axis you have good software add on that will suit a carpark.

The VCM-24VF does fit all your requirements nicely, although the VBM-24VF would be a little lower profile. Both are IP-66 rated so they're fine in direct weather.

Specs-wise, the XCM-24VF (http://www.cnbusa.com/en/html/product/product.php?seqx_prod=1231) appears to be the same innards in a bullet format... with IRs, but don't let that throw you off - you say you "don't like picture quality during the day on IR cams," but that's nothing to do with the IRs and entirely to do with the fact most cheap IR color cameras have no IR-cut filter, which causes the poor picture during the day. The CNB models we're talking about are "true-day/night", meaning they have a movable IR cut filter - in place during the day, for proper filtering, and flipping out of the way at night for better light gathering.

Personally, I'd recommend sticking with the dome - a bullet can be too easily pointed in another direction with a well-aimed rock or long stick.

Also, are you sure you need *SIXTEEN* cameras for this parking lot? How big is the thing???

but prefer the look of a bullet

You could consider these as well, from Gadspot. Drop in these model numbers for good cameras that fit your bill.

GS4008CF- 650TVL Outdoor Bullet Camera, Charcoal

GS811EF- 700TVL Outdoor Bullet Camera, Silver

GS4015CF- 650TVL Outdoor Bullet Camera, Charcoal or Silver

GS851EF- 650TVL Outdoor Bullet Camera

I don't have those models but I do use a number of their bullets and they have excellent shells, handling the worst of conditions for me. I wouldn't worry too much about the look if they are up on poles. These bullets may seem large in the hand but they shrink considerably to the eye when installed up a ways. Depending on the color of your poles, choose the appropriate color to blend even more.

Here's some new night pics of the bullets I own from them, of lesser quality with fixed lens. These are installed approx at the height you might be talking about. Pictures paint a thousand words. People might get sick of all my pics, but I think they help so much more than talking can, either positively or negativly. Yep, they handle snow storms too. Lol.

178106_1.jpg

178106_2.jpg

178106_3.jpg

178106_4.jpg

I have no affiliation with gadspot. I use 'em and I like 'em, that's all. Good luck with your choices, whatever they may be.

Dan

Don't quote me, but I remember reading somewhere that despite the gargantuan number of cameras installed in London, that only about 1000 crimes (a year?) were solved because of video evidence. The installation of cameras permits an operator to see patterns of behaviour in certain folk - whether it is criminal or belligerent or anti-social. The cameras are not an unequivocal solution to solving crime.

So then, what is the purpose of installing cameras? In a car park, the distances might make facial identification difficult for those who do not wish to be identified. If the purpose is to control traffic congestion or minor accidents, then so be it. We all have a key purpose in mind when we install cameras: to push neighbourhood crime elsewhere or to catch a violent neighbour in a smoking-gun type of threatening act. But, ultimately, for most applications, the cameras act as a psychological deterrent. The installation of highly visible cameras does deter crime. By installing more and more discreet cameras, it could be predicted that they will video more crimes because more crimes will probably occur.

3. They will mount to a poles so they won't be under cover so do I need waterproof or weatherproof?

You will want either bullet cameras, or box cameras in housings.

If you get an IR bullet and are concerned about the daytime look, get one that is a TDN (ICR) which has a mechanical IR cut filter - blocks IR in the day, removes the filter at night.

If you do use domes, try to keep them under an overhang, or seal them up good.

If you add alot of light, then all you need are color only cameras, unless you want the IR for backup.

If you do use domes, try to keep them under an overhang, or seal them up good.

I've got plenty of VCM-24VFs mounted to walls in direct weather - never a problem with leakage.

The objective is to give greater live visibility of vunerable areas to our one mobile security gaurd by adding cameras and viewing on an iPad with a fast WiFi connection. This would give him awareness if a stranger enters the property where he is not located at that time. There are 3 vehicle entrances, and the property has no perimeter fence an the size is on the picture (approx 1000ft). The front of the buliding(s) have 20 entrances all unlocked by a buzzer. The parking lot is large and less important than the entrances where people come and go. The rear of the building has 2 fenced playgounds, and 7 locked entrances.

The picture I posted shows my rough idea of postions and anticipated coverage angles of 16 varifocals (mounted to light poles), 5 PTZ, and 3 License plate cameras. The key/legend is on the picture. You have to zoom the image I posted to see detail. My thought is the gaurd might see something suspicious either from his office, or from the iPad, and then either use one of the 5 PTZs to get closer, or more likely he would go to the location in question to investigate. During busy events, there will a couple more guards and one stationed by the DVR to be constantly viewing the cameras and using the PTZs if needed. When the PTZs are not being controlled I would have them be on a useful swing pattern to cover the parking lot. Hope it doesnt look like an airport, or like big brother is watching but at the same time kepping it professional looking and with the security of the guests in mind. Not sure about IP cameras, they might cost too much. So far I am considering the CNB domes that were mentioned here at about $160/ea, CNB PTZs at $600/ea, and the LPRs at about $600/ea. With cabling, accessories, and some additional labor its looking like costing around $10,000 before the DVR. The DVR will be some research for me, and another post. We do need iPad viewing that is good quality for sure. So this is the thoughts so far. Hope this explains more of what we want and could provoke some additional comments and advice.

Here is an aerial view of the property, and then 2 shots of the front :

178241_1.jpg

178241_2.jpg

178241_3.jpg

It seems to me the trenching/directional bore and cabling would cost the $10,000.00 at least. The idea behind using IP Megapixel cameras would be to reduce installation costs drastically while getting excellent quality images and software

It seems to me the trenching/directional bore and cabling would cost the $10,000.00 at least. The idea behind using IP Megapixel cameras would be to reduce installation costs drastically while getting excellent quality images and software

The installation costs will not impact us as we have some skilled regular maintenance staff who will do most of it, and IT who will install and setup. There won't be any need for trenching as we will attach the cabling to the current steel wire that spans from the roof to the top of the poles. It's working well for the first PTZ mounted.

I would like to know more about IP cameras. Will they provide better live surveillance like I have described? Is it just a clearer picture when zoomed on playback? Are they good in low light? What software benefits will there be? - maybe I am interested in that part as I want iPad live viewing.