Todd

IP cams make cpu go to 99% usage

I just added a Geovision 3mp Ip cam (the promo cam included with capture cards). I currently have 16 analog cameras and 1 1.3 mp IP cam (geovision) and now one 3 mp geovision ip cam.

Task manager shows cpu at almost 100%

What can I do to tone it down? Will I lose picture quality?

Thanks for any info.

Yea, thought of that. It's only a q6600. Just have so much other stuff, I don't want to reload windows and all the other network items on that system.

May have to though.

Yea, thought of that. It's only a q6600. Just have so much other stuff, I don't want to reload windows and all the other network items on that system.

May have to though.

could you nnot upgrade the motherboard and just keep the same HDD?

I just added a Geovision 3mp Ip cam (the promo cam included with capture cards). I currently have 16 analog cameras and 1 1.3 mp IP cam (geovision) and now one 3 mp geovision ip cam.

Thanks for any info.

hi even without your ip you will see it will be high geo uses alot anyway.

Generally that doensn't always work. I have a clone of the drive, so I might try uninstalling all the drivers, change boards and then install drivers. I have had some people suggest that will work. I"m not convince enough to do it without having a ready backup though.

What I should do is get my other stuff off of the geovision server. I could make a new system for geo and then use the old system for the other stuff. Space is the issue since both have to be where they are. I suppose I could have one monitor for both systems and a kvm switch or something.

Thanks for any info.

hi even without your ip you will see it will be high geo uses alot anyway.

About 50% normally

Generally that doensn't always work. I have a clone of the drive, so I might try uninstalling all the drivers, change boards and then install drivers. I have had some people suggest that will work. I"m not convince enough to do it without having a ready backup though.

What I should do is get my other stuff off of the geovision server. I could make a new system for geo and then use the old system for the other stuff. Space is the issue since both have to be where they are. I suppose I could have one monitor for both systems and a kvm switch or something.

i have used one laptop drive in 3 laptops and a netbook. drivers didn't seem to be an issue. even hotkeys worked! and all machines were different makes.

What can I do to tone it down?

You could lower the frame rate, although a 3MP IP cam is likely to be pretty low to begin with.

You could also try switching from H.264 to MJPEG, if the camera supports it. H.264 uses less bandwidth on the network, but generally requires more CPU power to decompress.

But long-term you should definitely plan on upgrading your CPU.

I fixed this problem on another capture card by lowering the frame rate on the IP cams, and by not leaving multi-cam view up all the time. Switching from a 4 IP cam window to a single window drops me from 90% down to about 40%, so I leave it like that when I'm not actively watching (which is most of the time).

The real solution is a better CPU, as everyone says, and is what I'm heading for.

As long as you install the new drivers why wouldnt it work? Where I work we deploy 1 corporate image to all systems, desktops and laptops all with different cpu's and mobos, we just included all the drivers in the build, if its needed its used if its not well then its there anyways.

As long as you install the new drivers why wouldnt it work? Where I work we deploy 1 corporate image to all systems, desktops and laptops all with different cpu's and mobos, we just included all the drivers in the build, if its needed its used if its not well then its there anyways.

9 out of 10 times it wont work.

i have used one laptop drive in 3 laptops and a netbook. drivers didn't seem to be an issue. even hotkeys worked! and all machines were different makes.

2 possible reasons:

1-They were the same chipset

2-You were lucky

take the following laptop for example:

Compaq Presario V6700TX CTO Notebook PC

Yes it uses an Intel Chipset, so likely if you imaged it to a netbook it will work, kind of. However I have an Acer netbook and was using an Intel Mobile chipset driver, but it still felt sluggish. After researching some more and finding out it does NOT use an Intel mobile chipset like the Laptop above does, but rather an Intel embedded chipset, I loaded the correct one and now it is nearly twice as fast - this also installed the correct SATA drivers BTW. And oh yeah, try restore an image from a Laptop with an AMD chipset and see how far that goes

Chipset drivers also affect USB by the way, cant get USB to work, cant get anything to load as you dont have wireless or lan due to lack of the right driver, and like one laptop I was working on recently it means burning DVDs, which still tends to work regardless as its built into the OS - wait, with the netbook there is no DVD Thats when the IDE/Sata to USB adapter comes in handy, but not everyone has one of those.

Lets look at this HP laptop

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4062&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=4221492#N377

You have a choice of Several completely different wireless drivers .. so if you have Broadcom and thats imaged and you load it on another laptop, thats if it even boots up, well the wireless wont work unless it too has Broadcom wireless.

And you mentioned hotkeys, again you were the luckiest human on earth, or all these computers were the same brand or chipsets and or same date range, and oh yeah, same bios. Take HP, they use the HP Quick Launch app, obviously that wont work on a Dell. Take the Compaq DV5, it uses a custom bios, which is completely different from the Bios on an Acer, with some netbooks the function keys wont work at all without their custom software. Some computers dont even have a Bios, they use a custom firmware instead (eg. Mac, and some Dells).

And for example for the touchpad, you have Alps or Synaptics, only one will work not both.

Next, what if the customer had the OS installed without ACHI turned on in the Bios? Now if you image that to a computer with ACHI enabled, most wont boot at all in that case. If you have some of the entertainment laptops for example, you cant even disable ACHI to get into the OS to install the SATA drivers (eg. XP).

Sometimes yes it will work, but most times it doesn't or when it does, it doesnt work properly. Computers from different time lines, eg, one from 2 months ago to one from 1 year ago, again can be completely different. Being the same brand chipset helps, but not always. Besides I see maybe 50% AMD and 50% Intel, and then you have a mix of Mobile and Embedded chipsets, this bios and that bios, etc etc.. so yeah .. always have the OS install disk ready to go.

It looks like Windows 7 has the solution built in for us!

This will remove all the drivers and put the OS in an "out of the box" state. Essentially you just reload your drivers and it's finished.

Take a look at this link:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

I know there are a lot of XP fans in here, but i'm so "pro" on Windows 7 vs. XP now I can hardly use XP anymore. Whether it's things like the auto backup/image system, this new sysprep function and the fact I've forgotten what a blue screen looks like just makes me more and more a fan every day.

I'm sure there are a lot of cons but no more than any other OS.

I will be giving this a try. Not sure when I will get around to it, but hopefully within a month or so.

This will remove all the drivers and put the OS in an "out of the box" state. Essentially you just reload your drivers and it's finished.

You can do that with XP also.

Thats not really the solution though.

The idea is to have a complete image ready to go to restore a computer in 5 minutes or less.

Otherwise almost the same as just installing the OS then installing the drivers.

Whether it's things like the auto backup/image system

XP is still king for imaging, its more than 10 times smaller than win 7 so the image can fit on anything, you can pretty much use anything to image and restore it with including DOS, and takes just a couple minutes to restore because its so small. You dont need a Microsoft tool to image with, there are may other free tools out there that work great.

You can do that with XP also.

Thats not really the solution though.

The idea is to have a complete image ready to go to restore a computer in 5 minutes or less.

Otherwise almost the same as just installing the OS then installing the drivers.

I do have a complete image but those images have the installed drivers present. I do not believe XP can do an image without using third party software. Xp will also not back itself up every night unless i'm mistaken. I suppose it might be possible to use third party software to pop a driverless image onto a hard drive but you would still have to load drivers. I'm looking at taking Windows 7 off of a Nvidia chipset and plopping it on a board with an Intel chipset. The sysprep function looks like it will do that without missing a beat in a fairly simple fashion.

You can do a repair/install with XP and it will work. It takes as long as installing XP which is considerably longer than 7. Then you have to load drivers to XP as well.

I do not believe XP can do an image without using third party software.

there are dozens of brilliant free imaging software.

Xp will also not back itself up every night unless i'm mistaken.

Yes XP has built in Backup software, and can be scheduled to backup whenever you like.

The sysprep function looks like it will do that without missing a beat in a fairly simple fashion.

Sysprep was around for years.

You can do a repair/install with XP and it will work. It takes as long as installing XP which is considerably longer than 7.

XP takes alot less time to install than Windows 7, its like 10 times less the size, less files, less everything.

I do have a complete image but those images have the installed drivers present. I do not believe XP can do an image without using third party software. Xp will also not back itself up every night unless i'm mistaken. I suppose it might be possible to use third party software to pop a driverless image onto a hard drive but you would still have to load drivers. I'm looking at taking Windows 7 off of a Nvidia chipset and plopping it on a board with an Intel chipset. The sysprep function looks like it will do that without missing a beat in a fairly simple fashion.

You can do a repair/install with XP and it will work. It takes as long as installing XP which is considerably longer than 7. Then you have to load drivers to XP as well.

BTW its important to use what you want to use and what works for you.

Thats all that really matters ..

Although IMO if you are going to reinstall all the drivers anyway, I would suggest a fresh install of the OS, especially if you have a fast system and not tons of data to backup. Remember hard drives are more than twice as fast now than they were 2-3 years ago (fast SSDs can be 6 times faster), so that coupled with the much faster CPUs many systems come with today, and tons of ram, makes installing the OS a breeze these days.

Yea, HD's are faster. I just benched my Revo drive at over 1500 MBS per second... that's smoking fast. I did Windows in about 10 minutes.

XP always loaded for a while and then you got the "install will finish in 39 minutes". Seemed like it took forever. Probably just the systems.

I could do a fresh install. But the problem is all the other networked items i'm using on that computer. We have a time clock, a color matching computer, a retail inventory system that hooks to a server and the paint matching computer also networks with a another computer to do yet a second paint matching system to dispense colorant.

So while I totally agree that a clean install is super duper and really want that..... I can do an image, reinistall drivers and be done in less than an hour I hope. The other method would be an entire day and many minutes/hours on with help desks getting their stuff to function again. It really is yuck!

I didn't know Sysprep was native on XP. And I didn't know you could do an image that you could restore from within XP in case you drive goes down. I gave that a shot with an extra ssd just to try it on win 7 and it went like clockwork. Pretty happy with that. Let's hope it works. Otherwise I will have to consider the other option.

Yeah my XP images range from 200mb to 1GB for a complete XP setup.

Throw them on a small SD card or USB flash drive and good to go.

Considering the IDE drives were 30mbs read, the 2-3 year old Satas were 55, the slow SSDs on the first netbooks were in the 20s, SD cards around 10 .... now new Satas around 135mbs, and most fast consumer SSDs around 300mbs+ ... along with fast CPUs the install would only take a few minutes compared to 20-30 minutes on old machines like celerons (Atoms still take a while though, just glorified celerons is all).

I installed XP the other day on a Win7 i3 laptop with a slower 5400rpm HDD and it took maybe 10 minutes but the overall speed is like night and day from Win7 - literally it feels like you are superman. The drivers were the problem (eventually solved) as they only list the win7 drivers on their site in most cases. Also now some manufacturers cripple you by using a custom unknown BIOS with no settings for anything besides boot order and password. So with XP you need to make a custom XP setup disk with the sata drivers already slip streamed using something like Nlite - only takes a minute though, but still an inconvenience. My Acer netbook came with 7 too, forget about it that thing was soooooooo slow and that was 7 starter edition (stripped down crippled win7) ... I mean its slow with XP so imagine with Win7 ... but with XP its so much faster by comparison, again night and day.

Eventually like everything they will cripple us with lack of driver support, laptops/netbooks being the most difficult, HP already started, even though they claim they are getting out the hardware biz. And eventually the same will happen with Win7, as they cater to the orders handed down to them from the manufacturers like Intel, who they likely have giant shares in. Want a new OS, buy a new super computer ... more money for all of them.

What is nice is Ubuntu seems to just work on everything, including netbooks and even the iMac.

Although the video drivers tend to be an issue.

And I didn't know you could do an image that you could restore from within XP in case you drive goes down.

Its not native in XP but there are tons of 3rd party software for it.

Also it wont be restored from "within" XP as the image is a copy of the original partition, it will overwrite the existing disk partition so that has to be done from another disk or partition running its own minimal OS (eg. Dos, Linux, etc).

Actually I was creating images for Recovery CDs back in the Windows ME days.

Name brand computers used to always come with one of those, now they either put the restore on the disk on a different partition (useless when the drive fails, which are most of my service calls for laptops), or with win7 expect you to follow the instructions to image it - most users dont.

Also XP has System Restore, though personally I always disable that - I feel images and regular data backup is best.

Business computers still give alot of options, its the cheaper laptops that tend to cripple the user.

I use True Image for restoring images to different hardware. For XP, I use 9.1, with the optional Universal Restore package, and it's saved me more hours than I can say over the last 3-4 years. Between installation, reloading SPs and updates, re-installing apps, etc, it used to take me days to get an XP install back up to speed after a crash (I hate repair installs too). Now, it's done in an hour or so, depending on the image size, and is right where the last backup left off.

For Win7, it takes the latest version, TI Home 2012, with the Plus Pack for restoring to different hardware. I'm not as happy with the new versions, and also have only done a few restores and all to the same hardware. I don't know how it compares to the built-in Win7 backup.

Both of these cost, but if you use them enough, it's worth it. I'm sure there are some excellent free versions out there, but I don't know of any that handle restores to different hardware.