Thumpin455

Running RG59/U and 120v Linecord

I've been lurking on these forums forever and am just now installing my 8 CH residential system. I've been doing a little bit at a time so I can cash flow this thing. So far I have 4 Pelco IS Series UTP TDN domes and 1 Samsung SCO-2080 TDN Bullet, an Altonix HubSat8 UTP Tranceiver Hub with integral 24vac. Am looking at getting the Samsung SRD870DC DVR with 1TB for the final purchase.

Anyways, today I finished up in the attic and dropped 10 cat5 cables from the attic down into my HubSat in a closet. Coming out of the HubSat will be the 8 jumper RG59 cables that go thru the wall inside a 1-1/4" conduit to the DVR located inside my bedroom.

Inside the same 1-1/4" conduit is the 120v power cord for the HubSat which plugs into an outlet in the bedroom. Is it OK to run that power cord inside the same conduit as the 8 - RG59 cables?

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks guys, I'll drill a hole right thru the sheet metal back of the HubSat and thru the wall into the bedroom. Then will fish the 120v line cord from the bedroom back into the HubSat and secure with wire nuts. It is a heavy duty 3-prong line cord. I will use a rubber grommet in the sheet metal hole. Walls are plaster with no metal lath so I feel this will be a safe way to get power without video interference.

I'm just not in a position to run another conduit so I hope it is not against another code to run a line cord thru a wall this way.

Thanks again,

Paul

Thanks guys, I'll drill a hole right thru the sheet metal back of the HubSat and thru the wall into the bedroom. Then will fish the 120v line cord from the bedroom back into the HubSat and secure with wire nuts. It is a heavy duty 3-prong line cord. I will use a rubber grommet in the sheet metal hole. Walls are plaster with no metal lath so I feel this will be a safe way to get power without video interference.

I'm just not in a position to run another conduit so I hope it is not against another code to run a line cord thru a wall this way.

Thanks again,

Paul

Not sure if you are in the US or another area, but in the United States, the electrical code says you can't run an extension cord through a wall like that.

You'd need to run Romex cable inside walls, and terminate it in junction boxes.

I'm in Mississippi. You might be a redneck if ...........

No seriously, I'll run another conduit. I just hated to drill another big ... hole in the wall and have to borrow my friend's slugbuster for the third time in a week.

Just put the high voltage in the wall, coax doesnt "need" conduit in that case, although there may be some code against it once again