benhenny

Pico 2000 uses 100 percent of my CPU

Hi,

You must get a hundred of the Pico 2000 card questions - sorry.

I'm just seeing what I can do at home with a couple of cameras and a dvr card, so I bought an eBay dvr cheapie. It works, but it also maxes out my CPU at 100 percent, 100 percent of the time, resulting in very high CPU temps. I'd like to let it run all day, but I'm afraid of overheating my system.

Do the more expensive cards do this also? Should I invest in a better card or in water-cooling? Or is there a way I can set it to not use 100 percent of the CPU?

Thanks!

That card is carp, period.

Even the less expensive DVR cards do not use the amount of CPU power as this cards do.

Well, it is a rule of thumb if that using a PC as a DVR, you need to leave that PC as a DVR and nothing else.

Your solution is to get a reliable name brand one.

The system works. I'm not having any trouble with it recording or motion sensing. I'm just concerned about the CPU running full bore all day. The CPU temperature goes from a cool 35*C to 70*C and stays there.

My concern is that even a more expensive card will max out the CPU, in which case, I'll still have to deal with the CPU heat.

The computer runs nothing but XP and the DVR software. It's a dedicated unit.

Pentium 4 2.6mHz LBA775

512MB

It's not a problem with the computer. I've had it in this one and also a Pentium 3 500mHz, and it works fine in both, except that it pegs my CPU at 100% in both machines.

I'm running just one camera, and the CPU is pegged as soon as I start the software.

Get a hardware compression DVR board if you want to minimize CPU usage. They cost more but they will only be using 5% to 10% of your CPU.

Iview is cheaper, and i have a 120pps card running on a 1.7Ghz 256MB old second hand PC ... playback features are pretty limited but it works with no issues.

If the software you are runnings increases to 100% CPU usage in the P3 500MHz, and the P4 2.6Ghz machines both, this tells me that you would have this problem no matter what size CPU and resources you provide. So obviously if it works fine in the 500MHz machine, then the system really doesn't require much more processing power in order to function. That is a software issue.

A hardware compression board is an option, but even if you were to use a better DVR board/software package that is software compression you should not have that issue. We use software compression boards and our CPU is never anywhere near 100%.

Keep in mind that some of the hardware compression boards on the market are only using hardware compression on the output side of the captured video, not the input. Very popular marketing if I may say so myself.

scott

This is the downfall of poorly designed software, the softare will use all the CPU you give it, the fact is that you are using software compression, this requires a lot of CPU, you could throttel your CPU usage but really the benefits will be small.

Buy a DVR with hardware compression and you will not have this problem...not trying to sell it but the Bosch Dibos can do 1250 FPS as well as webcast, back up and Burn without even twitching the CPU usage, the reason is Hardware compression.

Most cards these days are better and software is better so buying a better brand will help

Hello you'all !

Instead of Pico ( Conexant Fusion 878 ) you might want to try Dico800.

Allthough resolution isn't that high, CPU will only be operating at 14 ~ 18 percent ( P3/1000 ).

Free available at www.ctisystem.com / support / download.

Login :

ID : guest

Password : client.

It's been a while for me ( I am now using a 8-ch./200fps board ) but I thought I selected pos. 8 V4.0-1128,

while you're there you might want to get V3.5 as well.

Good luck !

MCSH

The Netherlands

If you're having trouble logging in / downloading contact me.

Edited by Guest

Hi,

You must get a hundred of the Pico 2000 card questions - sorry.

I'm just seeing what I can do at home with a couple of cameras and a dvr card, so I bought an eBay dvr cheapie. It works, but it also maxes out my CPU at 100 percent, 100 percent of the time, resulting in very high CPU temps. I'd like to let it run all day, but I'm afraid of overheating my system.

Do the more expensive cards do this also? Should I invest in a better card or in water-cooling? Or is there a way I can set it to not use 100 percent of the CPU?

Thanks!

Conexant Fusion 878 PICO2000 is a 8bit software compression un real time card.(most of it are clone ones).

bcoz it is a SOFTWARE compression DVR card,it means when compression is running,it will use and occupy your PC CPU and memories.

If u use other Hardware compression card,the CPU occupy rate will come down.

www.dvrworld.com