videoVIP

Need to cut thru windshield glare...Neutral Density lens?

I have a situation where the client would like to see the drivers faces as they exit the property. They slow down for a stoplight while passing the camera location. In certain lighting situations, the existing camera can see just fine. However, with the slightest amount of light/glare reflecting from the windshield, the driver is blanked out.

Is there a such a camera with a built-in neutral density filter?

Try a polarized filter, but I don't think that it can help you. To minimize the glare on the windshield try to choose better locations for the camera and the light source.

However, with the slightest amount of light/glare reflecting from the windshield, the driver is blanked out.

it never used to be a problem untill a few years ago till the likes of BMW/lexus/audi. started to use a new type of screen. 'Heat Reflective' and here in the uk its been a problem to see faces on these cars.

you can see this sometimes when your driving. the car in the oposite direction the screen looks blue but as the car get closer it then allows you to see through it.

to get past it. (as you see if you use toll roads) the cameras are low inline with the screen.

you might have to move your camera closer and lower to get every face

A polarizer is what you'd use to cut reflections, but you'll need to adjust it carefully for best effect... and keep in mind that you'll lose 1.5-2 stops of light (ie. light level will be reduced by a factor of four), which could result in the need for slower shutter speeds.

Is there a camera available with a polarizing filter built it? The only other way I can think of is to use a traditional "box" camera with a CS mount lens and find a small polarizer to screw on the lens.

However, with the slightest amount of light/glare reflecting from the windshield, the driver is blanked out.

it never used to be a problem untill a few years ago till the likes of BMW/lexus/audi. started to use a new type of screen. 'Heat Reflective' and here in the uk its been a problem to see faces on these cars.

I know the windshields you're talking about...they become very apparent if you're driving around with polarized sunglasses...they jump right out.

That doesn't seem to be the problem in this situation. I've sat in the guard booth and watched the monitor as vehicles drive by. Some driver's are clearly visible while others are "whited out". The view changes with the amount/intensity of sunlight it seems.

It will also vary with the angle of the windshield, the angle of the sunlight, the curvature of the windshield, and the makeup/composition of the specific glass (which can affect the refractive index).

Try a polarizing lens that has adjustment. Adjust to see through the windshield. You'll be amazed.

Don't have much of a choice. Camera needs to be pointed at windshield and my light source is the sun.

The polarizing filter can work, but unfortunately it will require constant adjustment until you find the right angle to filter out the reflections. With moving cars (not to mention a moving sun) it's not going to be a very easy solution.