Supernaut

Newbie Home System

New user here could use some help with a setup. I'll try not to make this too long

I live in a mobile home park in Alberta, Canada. I have had a long time problem with my next door neighbor, too long to write it all here. Lets just say he's an arrogant ass probably 45 years old with all the maturity of 8. His wife isn't a whole lot better. The longest standing problem with these people have been their dogs crapping on my lawn. In the summer sometimes on a nearly daily basis going on for 2 years. I've tried damn near everything in my legal means. In the most recent incident I threw the dog crap on their deck which led him to call the police. He made up a story how I broke into his place twice and threatened him which the police didn't buy at all. The situation didn't go his way in the slightest which lead him to throw a tamper tantrum and threatened a formal complaint against the police. Lets just say the police were happy after that to work with me to charge him with whatever we can. They also said they're sorry I have to live next to this and feel bad for me. Its just one of several stories in this paradise. It seems the police are out here every month or so and every time that ass clown is involved. They've been to his house twice in the past week for what best I can tell is a spousal abuse situation. Hopefully he just ends up in jail soon and I don't have to deal with him

We own our homes here but a landlord owns the land. I have struck a deal with the land lord that the neighbor from hell has to get rid of all his 3 dogs if I can provide photo proof of them in my yard. This has been difficult because I'm often not home.

I drew a starving artist windows paint picture of my yard. It is relatively to scale by eyeball.

Brown lines represent fences.

181456_1.jpg

The property line ends 1ft west (on this side of the street) of our homes.

The primary camera needs to be in the center where the arrow points. My living room is in the middle of my home, also my TV/entertainment stand is there. Also there is a hole in the wall there where a satellite tv cable goes through, this is where I would put any camera wiring. I would connect the DVR to my plasma TV located on that wall.

One camera on the front of my place would be nice as well but wiring would be much more complicated. I plan to live here until My lady and I can save a 20% down payment for a house which should be less than 2 years. Believe me I would be gone away from this human garbage ASAP if money were not the issue. In the interest of selling this place I want to molest the walls as little as possible with holes for wires...etc.

Another consideration is temperature. In the winter up here we usually have a few weeks were the temperature is -30C (-22F) or worse, sometimes going even lower than -40C (-40F) but that usually only happens a day or 2 per year. The camera(s) would have to be able to function in severe cold.

The cameras need to be able to provide night vision. Just decent enough that the police would find it acceptable. I don't need to guide a missle through a door way 3km away here.

Cost. I hope to do this for under $1000. I think $1500 would be my absolute limit. Its bad enough I have to waste any money due to the trash I live beside.

I am very new to this but not 100% green. I had a Lorex camera system a few months ago but returned it. I bought Lorex after reading reviews which seemed to indicate a good value for the money. I was broken hearted to learn that infrared cameras can't look out through windows and I couldn't install those cameras outside due to the temperatures here. It was 4 cameras with a 250gb dvr system for $400. The camera video quality system seemed decent and night vision good enough for my purpose when I tried them outside. My intent was to run at a relatively slow frame rate for little hd space usage. I have a motion light out there that helped a lot as well. I understand heated cameras would be more costly.

So would any knowledgeable members have any particular advice for cameras, camera systems, my best course of action, or anything at all? Also this isn't just to capture dogs on video. I just plain don't trust them. If I went on vacation I wouldn't put it past him to vandalize my place. And who knows what else.

Lots of good people living amongst 65 mobiles in this park and I get stuck next to these people. I must have been one of Genghis Khan's henchmen in a former life to deserve this.

Edited by Guest

In this circumstance, the use of IRs would allow you to video any events without showing your hand.

"to learn that infrared cameras can't look out through windows and I couldn't install those cameras outside due to the temperatures here"

IR works through windows. External IR units can function at temperatures as low as -58 degrees Fahrenheit.

By removing the visible lights operated by motion detectors, you could encourage more events.

The use of covert cameras would work to your advantage. Any sign of a camera or technology is likely to put that belligerent neighbour on guard. When you have the system that the old hands will recommend, install it quietly, then look defeated. Drop your guard. Appear to give up. The neighbour will walk right into the trap.

Any sign of a camera or technology is likely to put that belligerent neighbour on guard

True, but that very thing could be enough for deterrence too. If the cameras are enough to deter further problems, it's an easy solve. But in my experience, there's really no reasoning with animals- I mean the people, not their dogs. It's usually a game of one-up. If it were me, I'd put up the most obvious bad ass looking system of cameras I could muster- even alarm horns. Maybe even support it with dummy cams to make it appear more robust. But knowing I'm dealing with animal mentality, I'd have covert cameras installed under the deck area that they can't see. Those will likely be the cameras that catch the dogs [the real ones] and the dogs [the people] who might try to vandalize the cameras that they can see. Redundancy. As far as what you use, there's a lot of discussion here about product. Take a night or two with a cup of joe and read up. This will help you zero in a bit. Very best of luck with all the 'dogs'.

This advice is starting to look good already. While a hidden camera would be great to catch him in the act. I some how am uncertain about the full potential usefulness of catching him in the act doing something with a hidden. It seems the Canadian courts have a strong tendency to be very lenient on people of his... ethnicity, in order to keep a shred of population balance in "the system." I don't intend to start a controversial argument with that, just explaining my rational somewhat. I could imagine him vandalizing my car or something then some liberal judge explains it away with internal pain due to years of his people's suffering or something to that effect. That kind of thing happens here.

I think the obvious bad ass camera system might be the better way to go. Knowing what a baby he is he would complain about it to the land lord and the police. The police already told me I'm free to put up cameras as long as it doesn't record into his yard constantly and they would tell him the same thing. He would complain to the land lord who already has wind of this situation and my intentions, and then when he doesn't get his way he would throw a tantrum. This would probably originate when he is forced to come in my yard to trim the grass along the 1ft of his home. He would be on film the whole time and I'm sure quite pissed about it.

I wish I had a setup like that last summer when his (then) 13 year old step daughter was rolling around in my yard drunk out of her mind with her friends. Would have been poetic if they rolled through a dog turd. I phoned the police then to do something about it (there was a kid drinking and driving involved in the situation as well). A seemingly dim witted cop showed up (who I spoke to), the girl was simply sent home and nothing became of it. I would have thought if a police officer found a 13 year old kid so drunk she couldn't walk and making out with a guy who's old enough to have his own pickup truck, that there would be an immediate discussion with the parents even if it was 4am. But I guess not.

This happened before the police started coming here on a semi regular basis however. With the neighbors track record now it might have gone differently. The land lord has no idea what goes on around here and doesn't really seem to believe what I say. I guess the stories do sound pretty incredible.

I think visible cameras may piss him off enough to inspire him to move away. And if I catch his dogs on camera and he has to give him up, maybe the whole family would push him to get out of here and go where they can keep the dogs. The wife and kids seem very attached to the dogs.

The best part of this scenario is I don't really see a way I can lose and can get some peace of mind after 2 years of this hell. It was so nice and peaceful here before they moved in. My girlfriend and I just want to live in peace. We're 26 years old, live quiet, don't have parties or bother any one or have a problem with anyone else in the park. There is a nice elderly lady who lives on the other side of us who said will always vouch for us if a witness is needed. She also said she doesn't even know when we're home unless she sees my car in the drive way. I lived here a year before the trash moved in an never had any problem or even one dog turd on my lawn in all that time.

My girlfriend proposes we keep the cameras hidden till we get him on something, then mount them to show off to the world after.

The profile of your neighbour reflects the widespread deterioration in social behaviour within Western nations. The Police generally remain indifferent to prosecuting the lower subclasses which have insinuated themselves into polite society. This indifference means that all of your efforts may show little return. Neighbours can defecate in your front yard; climb over your back fence; frequently block your driveway and box-in your vehicle; swear the lowest gutter-mouthed profanities at your pre-adolescent nieces and nephews; throw garbage in your yard; wake you at all hours with big-mouths, barking dogs, car horns etc., etc.; poison your established garden; make lewd remarks; and repeatedly threaten to kill you and your family and no authority will bother to act on your behalf.

Generally, the social lumpen are engaged in illicit activity. By determining what form that activity takes, such as Welfare Fraud or Drug Dealing, a decent person may be able to collect evidence and present compelling details to a specific law enforcement authority. I have never called the Police about the kind of issues you are experiencing. What I have done, successfully, is to cut the lumpen off at the knees by removing their economic base.

It is bad enough doing this when you live in an established home, but it is a tall expectation for you to put up a protracted fight in your situation. Is it possible to relocate within your facility or to negotiate with the landlord for the relocation of the neighbour?

Fiona

Post subject: Re: Newbie Home System

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:00 am

The profile of your neighbour reflects the widespread deterioration in social behaviour within Western nations. The Police generally remain indifferent to prosecuting the lower subclasses which have insinuated themselves into polite society. This indifference means that all of your efforts may show little return. Neighbours can defecate in your front yard; climb over your back fence; frequently block your driveway and box-in your vehicle; swear the lowest gutter-mouthed profanities at your pre-adolescent nieces and nephews; throw garbage in your yard; wake you at all hours with big-mouths, barking dogs, car horns etc., etc.; poison your established garden; make lewd remarks; and repeatedly threaten to kill you and your family and no authority will bother to act on your behalf.

Generally, the social lumpen are engaged in illicit activity. By determining what form that activity takes, such as Welfare Fraud or Drug Dealing, a decent person may be able to collect evidence and present compelling details to a specific law enforcement authority. I have never called the Police about the kind of issues you are experiencing. What I have done, successfully, is to cut the lumpen off at the knees by removing their economic base.

It is bad enough doing this when you live in an established home, but it is a tall expectation for you to put up a protracted fight in your situation. Is it possible to relocate within your facility or to negotiate with the landlord for the relocation of the neighbour?

Relocating the neighbor is out of the question. He has the landlord mostly convinced he is some kind of upstanding individual. He's good at manipulating people who are easily swayed with a phoney smile and outright lies. When the trash moved in he fixed up the old mobile he bought and made it look pretty new, which in turn makes the park look better over all. The land lord I don't think is very able to see past that and doesn't want to think any bad of him. There is also age discrimination. The lowlife and his wife are nearly twice the age of my girlfriend and I. The land lord is old enough to be retired. Its just the natural way of things that old guys think young guys are trouble, or stupid...etc. He's never around to see what actually happens here.

That all said its not that he outright takes the neighbors word over mine. He's told me a few times he can't tell which of us guys is bull****ting him. That frustrates me to know end because the police and bylaw were able to figure it out pretty damn quick. I would doubt if a lying sociopath like that would be able to keep a straight story. When there is a mountain of one sided evidence and you still can't tell who the liars is? C'mon. The best I've been able to achieve is a formal letter saying the neighbor has to remove their dogs from the park if they're caught on camera in my yard. It may be just good enough. I had another neighbor suggest we can get the trash booted out of the park. I can't imagine how that would be achieved, I've never heard of the landlord kicking anyone out and can't imagine it happening over anything short of a lengthy petition.

I have thought making a deal to move my unit 10 spots down the street to where one burned down last year and the lot is still vacant. The land lord might approve that but it would surly be at my expense. A semi truck would be needed and crew with the guys who attach wheels to these things. Then at the new location I would need new skirting around the unit. When I investigated for insurance purposes I was told by a manufacturer that process cost $5000 (probably not including skirting), which included moving it 100km from their facility. Not sure what it would cost to do in the park. Not cheap I'm sure.

I have to get off to work but I'll keep an eye out here.

Edit: quick note about cutting off their economic supply. I often see them leave in their SUV in the evening sometimes after things are closed in town. The local store closes at 9 and there is nothing else around here, the next towns are a 20min drive away in one direction. They drive off and are back in 5 min. Often wondered if they're dealing something. Usually happens at least a few times in the evenings.

Just my 2cents, And im a newbie too, I'm just going to add a few things untill the Guru's start suggesting better ideas.

Sounds like your best bet is to record him doing something that would give the Landlord No choice at all as for making him move, or kicked out.

So, I would say a somewhat hidden form of cameras is what you're looking for.

You would be surprised how people miss CCTV cameras.

Forgive me for not knowing which construction/design you have. But if you happen to have Eaves, that would be perfect.

If not, still ok.

I would think an 8 Ch D1 DVR and some domes are your best bet. (of course I'll let the gurus tell you best )

If you have an HDMI tv, then the HDMI dvr would be my choice. Qvis Apollo HD 8

If you don't, then the Non HDMI is a lil cheaper. But, the HDMI one I linked has extra features so I'd get it anyway.

I bought their 16CH HDMI DVR at about $380

Some Simple Domes with IR.... (These would have to be mounted on the outside)

650tvl with IR and features. $65 a piece.

http://www.gadspot.com/p-262-gs4006cf.aspx

If you really only need 4 cameras. The you could get a Better 4Ch DVR and 4 GOOD cameras and wiring and stay within your budget.

I just wasn't sure how many cameras you wanted or needed. Remember, I'd put one inside say in your living room pointed at the front door

so if the guy decides to go bizzerk you have him inside your house on tape.

If you want to keep the cameras Inside, and mount some IR lights outside, you could do that too. Though I THINK

the video quality would lack looking through a window. Idk. I'm just throwing my ideas out there.

Edit: With your budget, is you only wanted one or two cameras you could do an IP system..

I'll just let the vets chime in.

The more I look at your drawing. It sounds like a 4CH would be enough for you. Correct?

Heres some ideas.... One covering your car. One covering your Shed ( Let it leak over to his deck a lil bit. You'd Hate to not get him on camera on his deck and then him just stand on his deck and throw stuff at your house etc.... IMO )

and one covering your yard. The 4th camera can be inside, on the other side of your house, or doubled up on you yard.

181535_1.jpg

Just ideas

181553_1.png

Edit: quick note about cutting off their economic supply. I often see them leave in their SUV in the evening sometimes after things are closed in town. The local store closes at 9 and there is nothing else around here, the next towns are a 20min drive away in one direction. They drive off and are back in 5 min. Often wondered if they're dealing something. Usually happens at least a few times in the evenings.

Drug dealers typically wait for a phone call and then rendezvous with their customers at a discrete distance. They have to make frequent brief trips away from their homes only to return again within 5 minutes to half an hour or so. This pattern of movement is one indicator that he may be dealing.

If this is the case, evidence of these irregular movements would be of interest to drug enforcement officers. You may be able to knock him out quickly on the suspicion of drug dealing though I wouldn't anticipate any predictable outcome with the Police. Their attitude seems to be that, rather than defeat crime, it is better to ignore the reporting of crime. Eventually crime reports will go away and the Police can then claim that their efforts have resulted in a reduction of crime. When the Police attend the scene, this figures into an accounting system used to administer Police Departments. It doesn't naturally follow that they will make any real effort to apply the law. This pattern of Police indifference is reported widely on this forum.

In the interest of selling this place I want to molest the walls as little as possible with holes for wires...etc.

Another consideration is temperature. In the winter up here we usually have a few weeks were the temperature is -30C (-22F) or worse, sometimes going even lower than -40C (-40F) but that usually only happens a day or 2 per year. The camera(s) would have to be able to function in severe cold.

The cameras need to be able to provide night vision. Just decent enough that the police would find it acceptable. I don't need to guide a missle through a door way 3km away here.

Cost. I hope to do this for under $1000. I think $1500 would be my absolute limit. Its bad enough I have to waste any money due to the trash I live beside.

I have a motion light out there that helped a lot as well. I understand heated cameras would be more costly.

So would any knowledgeable members have any particular advice for cameras, camera systems, my best course of action, or anything at all? Also this isn't just to capture dogs on video. I just plain don't trust them. If I went on vacation I wouldn't put it past him to vandalize my place. And who knows what else.

1. To get up and running ASAP, might be an idea to run the cabling through a cabinet floor and onto the deck.

2. Any 4 or 8 channel Dahau DVR will be fine.

3. IR bullets would be adequate. Anyone have any suggestions for sub-zero bullets?

4. You won't need to spend much on this system. (Notwithstanding the temp issue.)

You could put a four-channel Dahua and four VCM-24VFH (H for Heater) domes in and keep it well under $1500. The cameras work great in low light (see samples here), they're solid and vandal-resistant, and the 2.8-10.5mm lens will give you lots of flexibility in getting the FOV you need.

Sorry I haven't been on here in a bit. I'm in my last year of trade school and busy studying and writing finals. Also dealing with the fact that Rogers is about end its wireless internet in a couple weeks and I have to find a new service so I'm in the works dealing with that. Looks like its going to be Xplornet which has many angry customers but seems to be pretty much the only game in town now. I could write a book on my anger toward rural internet availability and service in Canada but I won't get into that.

Nothing particularly new and exciting here. I thought the dirt bag may be in jail after not seeing him for a whole week after the cops were there last week. I keep an eye out so I see who comes and goes from there. But he poked his head out the back door on the weekend so he's still around. Dam.

I think 3 camera's will be adequate. One overlooks the driveway and I believe 2 can handle the yard. I would like to stay a fair bit under budget. 4 camera dvr will do the job. When I move out of here and into a house I believe 4 camera's should still be adequate.

Those Dahua recorder and camera systems look good and have nice images. It also raised the question about compatibility. How is one to tell what camera's and DVR's are compatible with each other?

Is that pretty well the be all end all of value for my money or are there other products I should probably consider? Any what about recommended vendors? Especially that I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

I have eaves only on the front edge of my home facing the street. Almost makes me wonder why they bothered at all. The cameras on the side will have to mount to the siding, probably to the aluminum strip near the top above the vinyl siding.

Not that I plan on aiming camera's out windows anymore, but someone mentioned infrared camera's can look out through a window? When I tried that before all I got was a bright reflection back at the camera and they couldn't see anything outside.

Not that I plan on aiming camera's out windows anymore, but someone mentioned infrared camera's can look out through a window? When I tried that before all I got was a bright reflection back at the camera and they couldn't see anything outside.
You have to separate the IR light from reflecting back onto the camera lens. An IR capable camera could be aimed through a window and obtain an accceptable image if the IR light were operated from: (i) a separate window or (ii) an outside position (preferable option).

It would be easier to use the recommended CNB Domes notwithstanding your wiring issues.

Yeah. ^^

So with a 4Ch D1 System, (Cheapest good one "I" know of is nelly's)

Heres a link. U.S. $215 without a HD. Just buy one at your local computer store for $100.

http://www.nellyssurplus.com/servlet/the-1559/Qvis-Apollo-HD-4/Detail

And 3 cameras. Yes, they are all compatible as long as their analog ( Unless you're wanting IP. )

You just add the connections to the end of the cables and you're good to go.

What Cameras have you chosen?

I know you want to stay under budget, But I think for $200 a camera you can get good TND? Someone else will have to chime in.

You might get by with the gadspots me and shockwave were talking about, but those are pretty cheap. If you can afford better ones, please do.

Add some wiring and connections and I think you can do a good system for right at 1k. $500 under budget US dollars. (Sry)

Those Dahua recorder and camera systems look good and have nice images. It also raised the question about compatibility. How is one to tell what camera's and DVR's are compatible with each other?

Only thing you have to worry about with analog cameras is that both use the same video standard - NTSC for North America, PAL for most of Europe and Asia. Unless you're getting hinky gear from some random fleaBay seller, there normally won't be a problem.

Is that pretty well the be all end all of value for my money or are there other products I should probably consider? Any what about recommended vendors? Especially that I live in Canada if that makes any difference.

There are certainly other, more expensive systems, but the Dahua and CNB setup is top-notch for the money (I could get you into a $3000 PC-based DVR with all the bells and whistles )

I'm in Canada too, and find dealing with Nelly's to be a piece of cake.

Supernaut, you don't yet know how good the advice is that you have gotten here. These recommendations have saved you a lot of money, time and headaches. These items are the highest bang for your buck that you are ever going to find. (And you could easily spend a lot more money and get a less effective solution.) So, if you are serious about dealing with that neighbour, get on the phone and order what has been recommended. Time is a wasting.

Also, just buy generic BNC cables. They are adequate for your needs and easy to install.

What about a Power Supply?

What about a Power Supply?

If you're using Cat5 and baluns, go with one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p-vps.htm

ev04pvps-1.jpg

We've used the 16-channel versions on our last two big installs (two per site) and they've been working great. Baluns and power supply all in one unit - combine with baluns like this: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm and it makes UTP installation about as plug'n'play as it gets. Only other thing you need then is a set of short BNC patch cables from the VPS unit to the DVR.

If you're using Cat5 and baluns, go with one of these: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev04p-vps.htm

ev04pvps-1.jpg

We've used the 16-channel versions on our last two big installs (two per site) and they've been working great. Baluns and power supply all in one unit - combine with baluns like this: http://www.easterncctv.com/accessories/ev01p-vp-t.htm and it makes UTP installation about as plug'n'play as it gets. Only other thing you need then is a set of short BNC patch cables from the VPS unit to the DVR.

(I could get you into a $3000 PC-based DVR with all the bells and whistles )

Soundy, 2 questions: 1. What is the quickest way to terminate the Cat5 at both ends? I'd like to try this configuration some day but concerned that making the RJ-45s will take too much time. Then again I am no expert with this stuff.

Also, I may get funding to replace our 16 channel PC based DVR. Can you recommend some? I am not sure what the budget is yet but sometimes they give me a bunch to spend.

Soundy, 2 questions: 1. What is the quickest way to terminate the Cat5 at both ends? I'd like to try this configuration some day but concerned that making the RJ-45s will take too much time. Then again I am no expert with this stuff.

First time we used these, we terminated everything in a patch panel... but there were several IP cameras that needed to be connected to a switch, and we had a separate rack all to ourselves fro the VPSs, patch panel and switch... latest job, we had to share a rack and had no extra space for a patch panel and only one IP camera, so we just terminated all our runs with RJ-45 plugs. It doesn't take long once you get the hang of it... one of our members here made a YouTube video for it, although I can't recall who. Been meaning to do one myself.

If you have the room, definitely terminate to a patch panel - makes it much easier if you need to switch any cameras to IP later, as you just move your patch cable from the VPS to the switch.

Also, I may get funding to replace our 16 channel PC based DVR. Can you recommend some? I am not sure what the budget is yet but sometimes they give me a bunch to spend.

www.3xlogic.com - really nice systems: all systems are hybrid, and the NVR is the exact same system just minus the analog capture card. IP and analog cameras all in the same interface. It can also do motion-detection recording and analytics for any cameras, in the server - IP cameras don't have to have their own motion detection, like you see with some other NVRs (you CAN use theirs as well, but it's not required - always nice to have options).

Do you know how much current they supply and to what distance?

Eg. if using 12VDC 550ma cameras.

Should be no different than any other 12VDC power source - it's 12V regulated output, so distance all depends on the cameras and how much loss they can handle. The jacks use three pairs for power by default, so you get the max range possible - specs page says up to 750'.

The first site we used them, they added another camera to an area we didn't have a wire, so we split off a pair from the next closest camera... probably close to 150' to the first camera and another 50' to the second, both running over only two pairs. Both CNB VCM-24VFs, rated about 250mA at 12VDC, so that would be a total of around 500mA, and they're running no problem (then again, those cameras will also work all the way down to 10V or so).

Do you know how much current they supply and to what distance?

Eg. if using 12VDC 550ma cameras.

Should be no different than any other 12VDC power source - it's 12V regulated output, so distance all depends on the cameras and how much loss they can handle. The jacks use three pairs for power by default, so you get the max range possible - specs page says up to 750'.

The first site we used them, they added another camera to an area we didn't have a wire, so we split off a pair from the next closest camera... probably close to 150' to the first camera and another 50' to the second, both running over only two pairs. Both CNB VCM-24VFs, rated about 250mA at 12VDC, so that would be a total of around 500mA, and they're running no problem (then again, those cameras will also work all the way down to 10V or so).

What I meant is how well can it send 550ma 12VDC over that cat5 at a distance?

lets say the distances range from 65 feet to 150 feet.

Say I have 3x 550ma cameras, and 1x350ma camera (all IR)

I need to run new cables on a job - choice is a cat5 4 way balun and try power them all with that cat5, or run all RG59 - if im to run 18awg i may as well run RG59 one time, less connections and superior cable for security in this case (stronger for non conduit run, client will not pay for conduit so its run loose and tie strapped in open warehouse).

Lets forget the strength of the cable for a minute, but can that cat5 24 awg hold enough power for those cameras at that current draw - if that is the real current draw - may be more as these are OEM cameras. How does this device get past the normal limitation of that kind of thing - I seriously want to know if it will save me work and money in the future. I dont want to hear about use non IR cameras because that is NOT an option.

Thanks bro

What I meant is how well can it send 550ma 12VDC over that cat5 at a distance?

As well as any other 12V power supply. Ohm's Law applies just the same. The only potential concern might be the total current supply capability of the unit, and unfortunately there's no mention of that in the specs...

How does this device get past the normal limitation of that kind of thing

Nobody ever claimed it did. It's 12VDC regulated output to the camera... same calculations, same limitations apply whether you're using this or an Altronix can or a wall-wart.

According to http://www.netkrom.com/voltage_loss_over_cat5_calculator.php - 12V, .55A, 150', three pairs of 24AWG, you should only see 0.4V loss at the load.

183086_1.png (and according to this, three pairs of 24AWG is the same effective gauge as 18AWG).

One thing I HAVE discovered with these units, they have built-in, auto-resetting protection on every channel... I had a CW504 dome that would fire up and then go out after 30 seconds or so, and the status light on that channel of the VPS would go from green to yellow... unplugging that cable, the light would go back to green, and the cycle would repeat after plugging it back in. We traced it to a damaged cable that was putting a short on the power... the unit detected the overload and shut down that output, then reset it once the short was removed.