miyagi

Help with a camera not seeing at night!

Hello Everyone!

I"m new and was hoping for some help.

Recently I installed a CCTV system and to my suprise my car got vandalised in a blind spot on my drive.

So I installed a IR Dome Vandal Proof Camera 420 ----> http://wmestore.co.uk/ir-varifocal-dome-vandal-proof-camera.html

I have installed it on the soffits at the front corner of my house.

Beneath the camera is my garage (where my car in parked in front of) however my garage has a small roof as it has been extended so basically the direct line of the camera is obscured slightly by the tile roof of my garage.

Now the problem I have is during the day the camera works fine but during the night my camera shows hardly anything the image is very bright (white) as if it is bleached and also I cannot see my car (which is black). I assume that my car was vandalised during the night.

I do have IR sensor coach lamps on either side of my garage so it does give off some light but I don't think its anywhere enough.

I'm wondering if there is anything I can do and whether the tile roof could be causing the issue?

Thanks in advance.....

If you could post a photo showing the mounted camera, and a shot from the camera itself, we'd be better able to help you troubleshoot. But based on your description, sounds like the IR is reflecting off the dome back into the lens. Check the lens, there should be a foam or rubber gasket that surrounds the lens and touches the dome. This is there to prevent the IR reflection. If it is missing or not in the correct position, you'll have IR reflection issues.

If you could post a photo showing the mounted camera, and a shot from the camera itself, we'd be better able to help you troubleshoot. But based on your description, sounds like the IR is reflecting off the dome back into the lens. Check the lens, there should be a foam or rubber gasket that surrounds the lens and touches the dome. This is there to prevent the IR reflection. If it is missing or not in the correct position, you'll have IR reflection issues.

I agree, there's probably an issue with IR reflection, although it sounds like the problem may lie elsewhere:

...basically the direct line of the camera is obscured slightly by the tile roof of my garage.

Now the problem I have is during the day the camera works fine but during the night my camera shows hardly anything the image is very bright (white) as if it is bleached and also I cannot see my car (which is black).

Sounds like the IR may be reflecting off the edge of the roof, and that bright up-close light is causing the camera to dim its exposure in an attempt to compensate, which leaves everything else dark.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I think you could be correct that the roof is causing the IR to be reflected (thats what I had thought to be honest)

I just don't know where else I can put the camera that is convenient, ideally I'd like to put it on the other side of the house, but running the wire into my house is the issue then.

Anyway I didnt get out of work early enough today, so tomorrow I will take pics and post them.

But you don't think it should be a problem to see a black car in the night? the company I bought the cameras from didnt really seem to know much to be honest?

I think you could be correct that the roof is causing the IR to be reflected (thats what I had thought to be honest)

I just don't know where else I can put the camera that is convenient,

Add some spacing (block of wood or something) to bring it lower so the roofline isn't in the FOV.

But you don't think it should be a problem to see a black car in the night?

Black is black because it doesn't reflect light. That includes IR light.

the company I bought the cameras from didnt really seem to know much to be honest?

Typical of many bargain-basement online stores.

Black is black because it doesn't reflect light. That includes IR light.

Well, what I actually mean is I should be able to see the outline of my car and more importantly see if someone is vandalising it.....

Add some spacing (block of wood or something) to bring it lower so the roofline isn't in the FOV.

I see what you mean, I dont think it will be possible (to get it perfect) as the roofline from the garage potrudes out, so some of my car is always going to be obscured by it, if I choose to have the camera so high.

I could put the camera on the soffit of the garage but it would only be about 7 foot high there and with the IR LED's it would be clearly visible for the nasty person who decided to scratch my car, what do you think?

All abit difficult without seeing a picture of my house I know......tomorrow I will definately upload some pics.

Typical of many bargain-basement online stores.

Yea they sold me a pretty sh1tty HDD recorder too imo (the remote control is absolutely useless) but I guess I had to start somewhere.....

Look at it this way: the best solution is if the nasty guy DOES see the camera and decides not to scratch your car.

Look at it this way: the best solution is if the nasty guy DOES see the camera and decides not to scratch your car.

Yea I guess....I'm pretty sure it is my neighbour who did it anyway...

Thanks for the advice.