hey_moe

Need suggestion on camera

I am new to this but I brought this one >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881338096 I also replaced two of the cameras with these >> http://aposoniccctv.com/index.php/camera/fixedlens/193 After finding this site and doing some reading I should have done it different. Anyway the picture looks ok but really not as clears as I thought it should be.I have installed each camera at all four corners of the house. My question is I would like to replace two of the camera with one that has a clearer picture. Any suggestion. BTW I want it hard wired and not cost a arm and a leg...Thanks, Mike

According to the Tragically Hip, an eyeball is worth $2.50 and an ear worth $1.50... how much is "an arm and a leg" worth to you?

These are a great camera: CNB VCM-24VF

Thanks for the info. The specs don't really say how far it will extend..do you have any idea what the distance would be. I am also looking for a long range camera too.

Well you didn't say how far you wanted it to "extend". The VCM-24VF comes with a 2.8-10.5mm lens (that IS listed on the site)... any camera will "see" to the horizon (or the first obstruction, whichever comes first), the difference is in how wide a view vs. how much detail.

For a "long range" camera, with no definition of what "long range is", you're probably looking at a box-style camera with sufficiently long lens... but without knowing how far it is to the subject and what size the area of interest is, it's impossible to say how long that lens needs to be.

Sorry about that.I am talking about two different cameras here.I want good one for the front of my house and the back one I need it to be able to view about 100 yards.Also you know the system I already have. Will those you posted work with my system Also what type of cable do you suggest for these camera.

When you say 100 yards, do you want to pick up facial features, license plates, etc? If so, that is going to be difficult to achieve to be honest. First off you will need a hawg of a lens. Secondly you will need that lens zoomed in so much that you will not be able to capture much else other than whats in that narrow view. If you are wanting to capture more of a wide shot, it can be done, but if its real particular details you need as described above, I dont even think our 100mm lenses would do it at that distance. Your only other option would be to move up to a IP Megapixel camera which would cost you an arm and a leg, but you could probably achieve what you wanted with a nice lens.

Your other camera, would you consider that a "regular view" camera? If so, that VCM-24VF that soundy mentioned is a good all purpose dome camera and very popular among members here.

There are some good examples of different lens lengths here: http://www.nellyssurplusguide.com/lenscomparison.html

Nice page. I have two minor suggestions.

1. Sensor Size: I skimmed the page very quickly, but did not see any mention of the sensor size. The FOV is affected by both the focal length and the sensor size. You may want to add 1/3" sensor, if indeed that was the size of the sensor.

2. SEO: You can improve the page SEO if you add an HTML title and a meta description. It's a useful page, and these measures will increase the chances that Google will serve up your page.

Best,

Christopher

Thanks. Will do. I'll have my "internet employee" get that stuff adjusted.

I checked some of the other pages. It appears that many are missing titles and descriptions. Your internet employee can add these in just a few minutes, but you may want to spend a few minutes yourself and write meaningful titles and descriptions. In addition to original content, these are two of the most important features that affect page ranking. You have done the hard part, which is create useful original content. When you attach meaningful titles and meta descriptions, Google and the other search engines will reward you. BTW, no need to add keywords. Keyword stuffing got out of hand, and Google et al now ignore the meta keyword list.

Best,

Christopher

Yeah I hear ya. We focus alot on SEO on our main site, but not so much on the instructional site, but thats where I should probably focus alot more on because we have so much content on it.

I went ahead and ordered two of these >> CNB VCM-24VF and notice I have a choice of 12 or 24 volt power supply. The longest run these two cameras will be is about 50 foot. Should I go with a 24 volt PS or 12 volt PS.

I don't think it will matter from what I have learned about that particular camera. Those sound like great cameras from what Soundy has said.

I also have a 24v power supply on order from apexcctv.

My understanding is that these cameras are able to internally regulate their voltage and generally operate properly when incoming voltage is between 10 and 30 volts. My longest run is about 100 feet and I will be using 2 pairs to power each one.

A quick voltage drop calculation here says:

24AWG Copper using 1 pair of conductors with 12v source @ 50 feet, camera pulling 1 amp, your voltage at the end of the run will be 10.72

24AWG Copper using 1 pair of conductors with 24v source @ 50 feet, camera pulling 1 amp, your voltage at the end of the run will be 22.72

24AWG Copper using 2 pair of conductors with 12v source @ 50 feet, camera pulling 1 amp, your voltage at the end of the run will be 11.36

24AWG Copper using 2 pair of conductors with 24v source @ 50 feet, camera pulling 1 amp, your voltage at the end of the run will be 23.36

Unless I'm missing something (i'm new here), it looks like you'll be fine with 12 or 24. I'd recommend 2 pairs though

Jason

I would always use 24VAC if the camera supports it, unless ofcourse you are doing a basic 4 cam install sharing 1x 12VDC PSU and are all short distances.

Either 12 volt DC or 24 Volt A/C is fine for that length run.

But like others have said also 24 Volt AC if it supported. This allows you to sync the cameras, and therefore you miss no frames in your recordings.

Cheers

Greg.

I don't have a problem changing over to 24 volt because as I build it might not be a bad idea. Any of you guys suggest a good one. I know you guys must think I am a dummy to ask a question on the PS but I done already screwed up and brought some things I don't really need and I hate doing something twice.I wish I found this site before I even got started. From what I have been reading so far it would have been better and cheaper to build a system vs buying a package. From viewing some of the videos the members have posted they are much clearer than mine...Mike

Altronix.

There are various models but it will depend on your camera amount and total current draw.