SublimitySam

Dahau vs TVT

Hello, I'm new (obviously) not just to this forum but also to CCTV. But I've been searching and studying a lot, mostly here. I have a few questions as I'm wanting to install a lower end (but not bottom) DIY system in my home.

I need an 8 channel DVR and I put high priority on it having email notification with still pics on motion alert.

Dahua seems to be a preferred brand around here but I also read that TVT is probably OK too. Are these two comparable in quality and is one GUI preferred over the other for features and ease of use?

I've looked up and read the user manuals for several different brands and I see on some reference to an FTP function. Does this mean live uploads to internet storage are possible? Or is this just for backup (or something else)?

~Sam

Hmmmmm, 24 hours and 29 views...

Does no one have any answers for me?

Possibly... we also all have jobs and families and lives and do this in our spare time. We get to it when we can.

I've never even see a "TVT" DVR... but put it this way, I'm a hardcore proponent of PC-based DVR, but I've been REALLY impressed by the Dahua I've worked with (after having the likes of Digimerge, GE, National, Digital Watchdog, and various other junk foisted on me to support).

If I HAD to do a standalone, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Dahua.

Hmmmmm, 24 hours and 29 views...

Does no one have any answers for me?

Possibly... we also all have jobs and families and lives and do this in our spare time. We get to it when we can.

Woa, wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. Just looking for opinions... and just my way to "bump" this thread a little to the forefront.

And thanks for replying.

I've never even see a "TVT" DVR... but put it this way, I'm a hardcore proponent of PC-based DVR, but I've been REALLY impressed by the Dahua I've worked with (after having the likes of Digimerge, GE, National, Digital Watchdog, and various other junk foisted on me to support).

If I HAD to do a standalone, I wouldn't hesitate to use a Dahua.

Actually I'm looking at a Q-see QT528 and as far as I can determine it's a TVT. I've seen some good comments on the Q-see right here (specifically the QC444, QT428 and the QT528). I'm just trying to determine if it's a decent machine compared to what's "admired" here (Dahua). As far as I can tell, the specs on the QT528 are exactly what I am looking for.

Can I (or do I dare) ask why you prefer PC based DVR over the standalone?

Does anyone have an answer to my FTP question??

I'll try not to ask to many more questions...

~Sam

Dahua has client software and supports MAC also.

Last time I checked TVT only has browser activeX.

Otherwise I dont know the other differences as I dont use TVT.

There are however MANY similar brands in China now and many use the same boards, chips, and their SDKs are near identical except minus the number of routines dahua give us -how far they go with programming, features, network/wan/mobile support really puts Dahua out above the rest. Dahua's tech support is great also.

Woa, wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. Just looking for opinions...

Not ruffled... just saying

Actually I'm looking at a Q-see QT528 and as far as I can determine it's a TVT.

Q-See is one of those that may be a crap shoot... they used to be a bottom-of-the-barrel brand, but more recently seem to have been sourcing from better manufacturers. Like many other names, they don't make their own equipment, they just rebrand a variety of stuff from multiple other manufacturers.

Can I (or do I dare) ask why you prefer PC based DVR over the standalone?

Overall, more powerful, flexible, expandable, and just plain usable. Most standalones have painfully basic user interfaces that are a nightmare to navigate.

I like having the ability to load utility software, such as disk-diagnostics (HD Tune, DLG), network monitors (Wireshark, et al.), IP camera finders (IQfinder, etc.), and so on, right onto the DVR - not only does it mean I don't have to pull out my laptop for a lot of tasks on-site, it also makes it easy to perform them remotely. Tools like HD Tune can monitor disk fitness, system temps, and other performance and reliability aspects and alert me to potential problems BEFORE there's catastrophic data loss, or a system failing at a critical time.

It also makes it easy to add massive amounts of external storage through iSCSI, SAS, and such. Or even just a bit of extra with an eSATA, USB or Firewire external drive (few standalones support external storage of any kind; with a Windows-based DVR, just about anything that can be given a drive letter, can be used for an additional storage target).

Does anyone have an answer to my FTP question??

In most cases, I believe it's used to send "triggered" events - like, you could set a system to upload and/or email still images when there's an alarm or motion trigger.

I'll try not to ask to many more questions...

Ask all you want, just remember to be patient Sometimes it may take a day or two to get that first reply... but as soon as it starts, you'll get more conflicting opinions than you know what to do with

Yeah you can send actual recorded video files via FTP to an offsite FTP server if you wish. There are easier ways to record video to an off-site computer rather than using FTP, but the FTP option is there if you wish.

OK, thanks. I seem to have gotten off to a rocky start here. I'll try to be more patient in the future.

Thank you for being so kind to give the gift of knowledge.

After the 10.7.3 update the Mac client no longer works

There are however MANY similar brands in China now and many use the same boards, chips, and their SDKs are near identical except minus the number of routines dahua give us -how far they go with programming, features, network/wan/mobile support really puts Dahua out above the rest. Dahua's tech support is great also.

After the 10.7.3 update the Mac client no longer works

I sent you a PM, please check it and let me know if that works.

Thanks!