Pilingkay

Camera Housing Necessary?

im not sure i understand what you mean, because you say outdoor cameras that implies they already have a housing and you need to know if they need a second housing in that ppoint then no they would already be in one. but if you mean indoor type box camera and lens and placing outside then they will need a heated housing to stop moisture and condensation building up.

but if you mean indoor type box camera and lens and placing outside then they will need a heated housing to stop moisture and condensation building up.
1. In temperate climates, the moisture and condensation is not a problem.

2. Heat can be a serious problem in warmer locations. It is then a good idea to use enclosures with separate shrouds to take the direct sunlight off the body of the enclosure.

3. Not all indoor box cameras are suited to outdoor installations. Check the manufacturer's recommended maximum and minimum operating temperates before purchase. Even with an enclosure, you may still have to be conscious of extreme heat but not so much extreme cold because the better enclosures can come with heaters.

4. Obviously all box cameras must be placed in housings when installed outdoors. Box cameras have zero weatherproofing.

but if you mean indoor type box camera and lens and placing outside then they will need a heated housing to stop moisture and condensation building up.
1. In temperate climates, the moisture and condensation is not a problem.

2. Heat can be a serious problem in warmer locations. It is then a good idea to use enclosures with separate shrouds to take the direct sunlight off the body of the enclosure.

3. Not all indoor box cameras are suited to outdoor installations. Check the manufacturer's recommended maximum and minimum operating temperates before purchase. Even with an enclosure, you may still have to be conscious of extreme heat but not so much extreme cold because the better enclosures can come with heaters.

4. Obviously all box cameras must be placed in housings when installed outdoors. Box cameras have zero weatherproofing.

i wondered why the one on the house seemed to die quite quickly

JOKE by the way!!

Very funny joke.

It has never occured to me but, yes, surely there have been folk who have installed perfectly good, expensive cameras outdoors without any enclosures. They probably just didn't think through what they were doing. Sometimes you do see a box camera under a porch without an enclosure. You might just get away with that, though I'd still use an enclosure even in a protected outside position. Better safe than sorry.

It strikes me as a marketing ploy to say indoor/outdoor. Obviously if a camera can work outdoors it can work indoors. (There was a chap from Arizona a while back who was also lamenting about heat shortening the life of his cameras.) If your weather is not extreme; i.e. very hot or very cold, then you have two fewer problems to face. Otherwise, enclosures, recommended box cameras and auto-irises are very reliable and robust.

Hmmmmmmm. Well, I meant like I want to use

Samsung SCO-2080R which is Indoor/Outdoor High Resolution Weatherproof Camera - 600TVL, True Day & Night (ICR), H : 94.4°(Wide) ~ 28°(Tele) / V : 69.2°(Wide) ~ 21°(Tele) Angular Field of View

and place it outdoor. Is it really okay?

Suggestions please!

That is an outdoor IR bullet with an IP66 rating. The IP66 means you can spray it with a garden hose without a problem. This camera was not intended for an enclosure.