Sign in to follow this  
Seedigital

I need a PTZ that can do -150 Degrees Celsius

Good Afternoon/Morning to all you gents,

Customer has come to us with a doozy, and wants a PTZ in a Blast Freezer.

It gets things cold, Damn cold like near cyrogenic cold in order to bring cooked food from 60-70 degrees down to 3 degrees (in order to stop bacteria growth) in as short a space of time as possible.

To do that the air surrounding the products is lowered to super low temps (one report i'm looking at says less that -150 degrees Celsius for upto about 90mins).

In short the environment is hostile, So i'm hoping some of you boys in Alaska or what not can share some knowledge nuggets with the class and see if we can come up with a solution.

I had an idea of putting a heat band around the camera, trying to find a way to keep this as close to the operational temp as possible.

While it is cold, this is a controlled environment indoors and we can cable up what we like really.

Any suggestions?

Blast freezers will only reach as low as negative 60°C. Most claim to reach only as low as negative 30°C or negative 40°C. The coldest medical/lab/research freezers are hard pressed to reach negative 150°C. Beyond negative 100°C is rare.

Arctic conditions bottom out at negative 89.2 °C (− 128.6 °F) which is the world’s coldest recorded temperature taken at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica in 1983. At -150ºC we approach the realm of cryogenics.

For a standard blast freezer, at around -60°C to around -30°C you may be able to use the Pelco IV which Schneider claims can handle -51°C. The problem of cold air moving over the dome would worsen matters. A position protected from the air blast would be optimal.

Axis tout an arctic speed dome which they claim can operate at a sustained -40°C. (I don't recall the fine print regarding wind speeds.) This is still 11°Celcius shy of Pelco's claimed minimum sustained operating temperature.

In other words, you may get away with a standard Pelco dome.

The excerpt below details Pelco's claim for the Spectra IV Environmental Pendant:

Pelco.jpg.106c02dde349d2fdaeff419fb50f6149.jpg

I bet that Pelco will do just fine. I think your real problem will be any sort of ice forming, be it on the outside or inside of the dome. What I would do is buy like an argon container (like those used for preserving opened wine bottles) and pump argon in the dome before you seal it up. Should keep a pretty dry environment in there. Maybe you could toss in a couple silica gel packets too to take out any moisture as well?

Pelco also offer a Pressurized Spectra Speed Dome filled with nitrogen. This unit has the distinct advantage of internal alarmed sensors which warn of changes to pressure, temperature and internal moisture beyond defined limits. This unit is rated at IP67 which is well above the standard Spectra's IP66 rating. The minimum operating temperature is relatively unchanged at -51.11°C

Excerpt from Nitrogen Pressurized Spectra:

2146879235_PelcoNitrogen.jpg.f17e5b7706eeae98b785894a9043bc84.jpg