gunworld

Having Trouble with back lighting of face shot camera at 15'

I am using a Vitek VTC-C770WS Pixim Seawolf Powered WDR Color CCD Camera w/700TVL - Short Body (2.40"L) 12/24V, OSD with a Fujinon - YV10x5B-SA2L Varifocal 5 to 50mm f/1.3 DC powered auto iris system Lens. I am having trouble with the back lighting if that’s the correct term. I have a doorway as seen in the picture. The camera is about 15 feet away. In the late morning to about 5:00 pm the face cannot be made out. After 5:00PM it just perfect. Is there anything I can do with the camera setting or do I need to relocate the camera? Am I using the best camera for my situation? I am trying to get the best head shot of each person walking in the front door.

Morning Shots

183725_1.jpg

183725_2.jpg

After 5:00PM Shots

183725_3.jpg

183725_4.jpg

Best WDR camera would likely be Panasonic.

But it comes with a big price tag.

Try changing the camera to BLC instead of WDR if it has that option.

On cheaper WDR cameras that tends to help when their WDR function fails to work as advertised (most of the cheaper WDRs just fail in that area - eat it up to marketing hype).

Another thing to add, BLC works better than WDR on these cameras when dealing with darker faces - I dont think the Asians test them like we do

Last thing .. make sure WDR is even enabled.

On the CNBs they come with all BLC features disabled which means WDR is disabled by default, on their WDR camera

Last Last thing .. since I cannot edit posts on this forum anymore ...

Try mounting the camera higher, in my tests the Backlighting/WDR function works much better when mounted higher than actual face height, eg. 8 feet or so.

Thanks. I did play with BLC (Back Light Compensation). I do not remember if I adjusted the Wide Dynamic Range (WDR).

What Panasonic WDR camera do you recomend? Something like a Panasonic WVCP504?

Havent used them in a while (people down here just dont want to spend that anymore) but anything with the latest SDIII should be good.

I have had very good results with the Samsung SCC-B5369.

In a shot very similar to yours the door faced East and was horrible first thing in the morning.

When I installed this camera not only could I see the customers walking through the door I could see out in the parking lot too!

I didn't even touch the menu.

Samsung A1 Technology Feature Set Plus 1/3" Progressive Scan Super HAD CCD 2.8 - 11mm Vari-Focal Lens Day/Night WDR 3-Axis Dome Design Camera

As a last ditch resort, you might try to tint your front windows/door. Not blacked out, but enough to cut down the harsh sun. Maybe even a pull down sunshade/tinter type thing. Could help, but that seems like a very typical shot for a good camera with BLC to handle. Good luck.