cctvnewb

Protect camera from laser beam

Hello All,

Kids in my neighborhood use laser pointer, beam direct to my security cameras, is there any cameras out there can survive this problem? or anything can protect the cameras?

Thanks for your help.

Unless it's a super-high-power green laser aimed directly into the center of the lens and held steady there for a period of time, pretty much any camera should "survive" this just fine. A standard red laser pointer doesn't have enough output to damage a camera sensor, and nobody, let alone a sugar-and-caffeine-fueled kid, would be able to hold it steady enough to do damage even if it were. It may temporarily blind the camera because of the light reflecting off impurities on or in the lens, but it won't cause permanent harm.

Yea, I've tried pointing my red laser at my cameras and it will temporarily blind them (shutter closes down a lot), but they can still typically see OK while the laser is going into the lens. After the light is removed they always return to normal. You would need a VERY strong laser to actually burn out the sensor.

Maybe talk to the kid's parents or something if they are young people??

My camera setting with HLC = hight, therefore, only the black dot and its traces is showing on the monitor while the laser beam is moving, it's not totally blind out the camera, my worry is would the laser beam will burn out the sensor that's all.

I don't know where those teenagers live, who they are and why they are doing this to us, just guessing that we're their interest target, according to what I've learned online. I know for sure they have some sort of night vision binocular so they can see me while I was waiting for them in the corner with water hose We reported to local police several times but not much help from them.

That is why the surveillance camera came in, and since we have the cameras up, they are now throwing rock and laser beam our camera from the distance.

Did contact P.I but too expensive

Thanks for your help.

Get yourself a teenager repellent like the Mosquito and don't tell anyone.

They are expensive but I bought a couple on Ebay and they work a treat and they

sell like hotcakes when I resell them ( no I don't have any for sale at the moment)

Either that or install a loud siren close to where thy hang out, (on your property)

and just sound it when they gather there for more than 10 minutes or start to

target your cameras. I have also found that a strong strobe light make the teens

feel nauseous especially if they've just had fast for or booze.

I used to have a Friday night problem in the alley next to my house so every friday evening

just before their regular arrival time, I used to break 8 or 9 stink bombs in the place they

would congregate. Of course sometimes I'd get caught out with them arriving early but when

they congregated outside my home I used to set the intruder alarm off which usually works

within a minute or two they are GONE. When I put up a Mosquito they stopped congregating

outside my house altogether. Just be creative but don't let them see you react.

Reacting with a water hose just draws you to their attention and makes the problem worse.

React but not in a way they can see.

Good luck.

.. No they are not gathering nor grouping nor hanging out, but this guy and his friend is just target us since I once chased them down and they disappeared in the bush. I guess they hated me since.

I will try to upload the pics of my camera got laser beam pointed from last night.

Thanks for your help Numb-nuts

Hello All,

Kids in my neighborhood use laser pointer, beam direct to my security cameras, is there any cameras out there can survive this problem? or anything can protect the cameras?

Thanks for your help.

Good thing it's not one of these. I would imagine these could do some permanent damage to some cameras:

http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Spyder_III_Pro_Arctic_Series-96-37.html?gclid=CLTr3aHBva8CFbEDQAodvEdExA

gJdf9pfS9D0

Just yesterday I was at a petrol station to re-point his forecourt cameras. I had just pulled up below one camera & while idley gazing up at it saw a green light which I can only presume was a laser , playing over the face of the camera. Though I couldn't see where it was coming from, it had to be reasonably close to accurately aim on the camera. When I went & checked the footage it didn't show up & all cameras were recording normaly. I have no explanation for that.

ps - I don't do substances

I put it up - if I hold the laser in the lens for 5 seconds, it will burn a pin-hole - and from very close, not very effective!

I put it up - if I hold the laser in the lens for 5 seconds, it will burn a pin-hole - and from very close, not very effective!

Nice! I was just reading your write-up on CP World and came here to cross post when I saw that you had beat me to it! " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" /> " title="Applause" />