ocdchris

Here's a fun one.....what have you caught on camera?

Well, this is relevant: Hope I'm not dredging up, seems this thread is rather new...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrRknh0K6ww

Happened today at 3:42AM! I was sleeping, jumped out of bed and thought a bomb had gone off...! Turns out it was gigantic strike, probably within 100yards of our house. Fortunately no fires... But I think you can hear a tree falling in the background. We live in rather forest-y area so lots of big oaks around to get hit.

woah!

I have to dig it up but I got a guy wearing a santa hat doing meth bleeding out his nose and using my overhead 1 way mirror to clean his face up. It's like a zombie movie lol.

3 Men Stole my 200 lbs Power Generator Machine (around USD$ 3,000) at 3.35am from my Backyard ...

Showed the Video to the Police and wasn't caught ...

I regretted myself the Video Quality is too bad, didn't able to recognize them ...

Anyway here are the pics, Pardon my Old Cam Quality ...

1.thumb.JPG.23bacc60087c5acd8af06852f5e88eb1.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.4d2b93ad3ee1b30d186dabd22eafe6fb.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.8ac29243a3f49387579ed2a301c2d954.JPG

Great clips.

I had a wireless system before upgrading and have vision of 2 guys stripping 2 cars in my car port over a 25miutes. Then they came back later for what they didn't get the first time. Even looking into the camera before ripping it out.

Burned it to DVD but nod good enough for the police to do any thing so I got a better system I hope.

I would put it up here if I knew how to get it from DVD to here.

I've only had my system online for a year.

In that time, I've captured:

• Someone hitting a stop sign
  • A Verizon worker sleeping in his truck
  • Someone letting their dog crap on my lawn
  • Numerous people using my street as a motel room (think about it)
  • Someone using the street as a bathroom

I love my CCTV system

Here are two videos, but probably not the two you want to see

7zCa2SZQVWk

IjiDl0pcz2w

Not the weirdest thing in the world but definitely odd for my neighborhood in the city. Later in the afternoon I hear, on the scanner, there's a wounded deer laying in the back yard of a home about 5 blocks away. The cop was given permission to shoot it but, when he got there, the thing took off!

Deer.jpeg.5f8f4941f1f58a184fea18570aeaba62.jpeg

HAHA, that stop sign gave me a good laugh! Glad to see your into scanning too!

I wish I had audio. I would have loved to heard what my neighbors had to say to the lady that was blocking the driveway.

Looks like a few of us are into scanning. I think both the CCTV and Scanning hobby go hand in hand. Always have to know what's going on in the 'hood lol

Here's a guy likely casing my house, happened yesterday. I was home at the time, he pulled in really fast and started looking in all over the place. As I walked downstairs with the .38 in hand he left.

Sheriff caught up to him and the guy said he was 'selling children's books' door to door! What a joke - if you are going to sell stuff door to door, why not actually RING the bell up front instead of sneaking around back!

193730_1.jpg

193730_2.jpg

Stupid camera gets that message whenever we have a lightning storm. I need to ground the lines and tie them together...

Not to mention some lead in his head!

Its funny, when I went through the story with the deputy, as soon as I mentioned that I had the gun out he reminded me that I could shoot as soon as the bad guy enters the house. I am glad that right still exists here.

the best I can recall is the burglar who stole the DVR monitor after he saw himself on the screen. he took a bunch of meds but the owner and myself couldn't stop laughing when we saw him in the back door camera with the screen in his hands.

Go-kart rider creating general havoc on busy streets. I pointed the ptz and got these, just to keep on file. Something about the pics makes me laugh though! I think it's because he thinks he can't get caught.

193585_1.jpg

193585_2.jpg

Its funny, when I went through the story with the deputy, as soon as I mentioned that I had the gun out he reminded me that I could shoot as soon as the bad guy enters the house. I am glad that right still exists here.

What's your poilicy- shoot first and ask questions later? Or would you talk and disarm him? Hold him until the police got there? Truly shoot to kill?

First off, it's scary to see those pics but great you got it recorded. Here in NY, pulling the trigger at any time openes up a major investigation. Even if you're in the right such as your case and it's deemed so in the end, there is MAJOR answering due for pulling the trigger, man. You pull that trigger, you damn well better be sure it was justified to use that force. That, coupled with the fact that most people actually can't kill in cold blood- even if it's warranted- is what makes this area a tough one for the innocent, the homeowner. It's the inability to actually pull the trigger on someone that many times gets YOU killed. Rather than shoot to kill, something not many are truly trained to do, we tend to warn people and avoid shooting. And that very thing is what puts us at so much of a disadvantage with hardened criminals. I'm glad it didn't get to that far for you. I hope it never does. I'm glad your cameras got the footage. And I really hope you're never faced with such a desicion in the future again.

What's your poilicy- shoot first and ask questions later? Or would you talk and disarm him? Hold him until the police got there? Truly shoot to kill?

First off, it's scary to see those pics but great you got it recorded. Here in NY, pulling the trigger at any time openes up a major investigation. Even if you're in the right such as your case and it's deemed so in the end, there is MAJOR answering due for pulling the trigger, man. You pull that trigger, you damn well better be sure it was justified to use that force. That, coupled with the fact that most people actually can't kill in cold blood- even if it's warranted- is what makes this area a tough one for the innocent, the homeowner. It's the inability to actually pull the trigger on someone that many times gets YOU killed. Rather than shoot to kill, something not many are truly trained to do, we tend to warn people and avoid shooting. And that very thing is what puts us at so much of a disadvantage with hardened criminals. I'm glad it didn't get to that far for you. I hope it never does. I'm glad your cameras got the footage. And I really hope you're never faced with such a desicion in the future again.

exactly.

you threaten them with a gun *in your home*, they leg it, they come back, and shoot you.

or you shoot them to harm but not kill them, they come back and shoot you.

just like here in the UK with knives. many young people (unfortunately) carry them because they're idiots.

they get into some trouble, pull the knife, the knife gets turned on them, and they end up getting stabbed with their own blade.

Here's a shot of the local police responding to a suspicious person (meter reader). No lights or siren doing 50mph in a 25mph residential street. Custom software.

0226138.jpg.a6d13c4240b23c6438790e73ec8fa691.jpg

Here's a shot of the local police responding to a suspicious person (meter reader). No lights or siren doing 50mph in a 25mph residential street. Custom software.

Is that software available to anyone?

Is that software available to anyone?

Not really. It was never finished, it's more of a proof of concept thing I did while tinkering with a capture card. I was trying to come up with an algorithm that would stop false motion detect events from tree leaf shadows without missing actual things that were moving.

It just sort of evolved into the speed tracker by chance. When I was tinkering with the software, I noticed how many speeders there were in front of my house, so I set about to see if I could calculate their speed. It actually turned out to work better than I could have hoped as far as tracking the vehicles. It's kinda lame in that due to perspective in the image, people close to the curb on the other side get a big break in their calculated speed. It's really only accurate with vehicles that are close to the curb on my side, everyone else gets a reduced reading.

Stupid driver running over large rock on corner of my shop driveway:

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cl1O3PH9W

Guys dumping trash all the way down a street. I knew who these guys were so I picked it all up, plus some extra, drove it to their house and dumped it (without the bags) into the driveway:

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/clew0YgS4

Not sure what this guy was doing but I suspect I scared him off:

http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cX6OcUO5P

My camera system, even with it's middle of the road quality (I'm about to deploy a completely new 2mp IP system), it has saved me thousands (I record order assembly for an online business and use it to dispute/confirm order errors).

Of course I've got other items I've caught but didn't save - people stealing the copper from the cell phone tower next to the shop, people peeing in the street, vandals, people littering, crazy driving and more....

Just checking in on the cameras at 3:30 am and saw these two guys, which I followed until they split. They weren't a problem but in the wee hours, everyone on foot or bike is of interest in front of the house.

fFcnM3tvILM

heres a few:

gas station I had JUST finished the install.. 3 days later...

couple years ago my neighors car gets ransacked

this ones funny.. other neighbors tells her her bike was stolen so I pull op the video and the "thief" was the guy she borrowed the bike from.. drunk as hell...

here, I was renting a room to this couple and he needed to use my phone to sell pills so he thought he would just go in through my bedroom window.. ya the cops werent impressed either, within 2 hours he was moved out.

heres a efw deer running around at dad-in-laws...

thats it for now..

Just checking in on the cameras at 3:30 am and saw these two guys, which I followed until they split. They weren't a problem but in the wee hours, everyone on foot or bike is of interest in front of the house.

Have you noticed that the little punks that hang out in random places like this are almost always smokers? They're apparently not allowed to smoke at home, so they wander off to smoke in front of some stranger's house (and leave their cigarette butts in the street). Once they've had their nicotine fix they wander off.

I wish I knew a way to make the street in front of my house less attractive to these punks...

Have you noticed that the little punks that hang out in random places like this are almost always smokers? They're apparently not allowed to smoke at home, so they wander off to smoke in front of some stranger's house (and leave their cigarette butts in the street). Once they've had their nicotine fix they wander off.

I wish I knew a way to make the street in front of my house less attractive to these punks...

There is a way, it's called the Mosquito

196376_1.jpg

It emits an ultrasonic screech that can be tapered to various age ranges especially teens. It is non harmful but teens cannot stand the persistent sound for long.

fFcnM3tvILM

Did you turn on an IR illuminator at 1:23? If so what model and range?

Thanks!