I purchased some cheap no-name baluns through Amazon and THEN I read the discussions about some cheap baluns being only pass-through w/o the required circuitry. So what do I do? Well take one apart and find out what's inside!

Here's the balun:

184968_1.jpg

and the other side:

184968_2.jpg

And what did I find inside??

184968_3.jpg

Is this what I might find inside a brand name balun?

~Jim

Thanks, Soundy. I've done just enough research on baluns to be dangerous (Wikipedia, etc.), and know there are different types. Just wanted to be sure.

If you have loads of money, why not buy a range of baluns and rip em apart for us all to see?

Don't have loads! I said these were cheap, US $15.90 f0r 6 pair. My goal was to gently remove the "cover" to see what I've got. I succeeded in that. As you can see the balun literally came apart at the seam. Super glue will render this balun transmission worthy again. It's going back into service... " title="Applause" />

~Jim

Ignoring cheap crap, there are two distinct designs for video baluns - isoolated and non-isolated. Both use transformers.

185088_1.png

Isolated - no direct connection between input and output

185088_2.png

Non-isolated - autotransformer type.

Isolated video baluns are rare but have certain advantages, especially immunity from ground loops. Very hard to find...

Where did you buy those? I think I bought the same 6-pair-pack on Amazon for cheap. They work great!

Yep, that's where I got 'em. Glad to know they work great. Thanks!

I'm thinking I should put heat shrink around them after they're attached.. Did you?

Basically baluns are just impedance matching transformers. The better quality ones will also have a bit of filtering to block low frequencies. So you may see a few small caps & inductors in the better quality ones.

I mix baluns all the time and have never had a problem. What I mean is I us pigtail baluns at the camera end and boxed 4 & 8 way baluns at the DVR, I gave up bothering to match brands as it made no real difference.

Of course I always test them before installation just to be sure but it's never not worked well.

If it works well, why question it, is my motto. I only try to analyze when things don't work,

then I wan't to now why not.

Hi folks

Not sure if dredging up an old post is frowned upon...if it is then I'm sure a mod will give me a good ticking off.

Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone has any comments on the quality of baluns that I have recently purchased. I have examined pictures uploaded by the OP, mine don;t seem too much different. Any advice from anyone?

1313704498_IMG_4452(Large).thumb.JPG.f57da167b5938e0ed1fb374bfcbceee7.JPG

1821608563_IMG_4449(Large).thumb.JPG.88495b21c86ca458dba063d9fb918188.JPG

1164358762_Ealing-20131024-00073(Large).thumb.jpg.60cb87766fd0668928d65dc1e3a62462.jpg

I have had the odd few that had problems but I resolver to destroy those

immediately so they don't get mixed in with the good ones. I buy them in

big batches and the only time they are an issue is when I have had to use

active baluns with them, but not always an issue. Good to remember they

are NOT water resistant and take the necessary precautions to protect them

from water/moisture. I always squeeze a little Contralube into the terminals

and into the plug, and onto the DC or 24VAC connectors I never find that

white dusty corrosion, in my junction boxes.

Doesn't cost much and lasts ages, a little goes a LONG way.

234155_1.1

I have some from Ebay that I purchased that have a similar label. I would be willing to sacrifice one in a day or two when I get time for the cause of people to look at them

If anyone is interested let me know

ive bought heaps of power/audio/video baluns from china for like $5/pair and have been great, went down to the local CCTV shop and he said he could sell some to me cheap if I bought a camera, I asked how much is cheap, he said $29 a pair, they are normally $59/pair he said.

same thing with camera, $300 camera I can get for $80 from china. only thing different is the name of it, a generic camera rebranded.

another one, a GPS unit http://www.ozspy.com.au/gps-tracking/mini-gps-tracker-with-audio

I got mine direct from the real manufacturer in china for $90 delivered, they want $270.

Sorry for burining the steak but this one: Talvico LLT-202C will give you a lot of troubles (interferences). Each single piece behaves the same (vertical bars on the screen). The one shown in the first post is superrior and cheaper .

270337_1.jpg

SDIM6270.jpg.2c4557b53927826aa5aba355c6dfa17c.jpg

Sorry for burining the steak but this one: Talvico LLT-202C will give you a lot of troubles (interferences). Each single piece behaves the same (vertical bars on the screen). The one shown in the first post is superrior and cheaper .

270337_1.jpg

I won't be able to look a balun in the face now knowing I've seen them in their underwear....