eyecu

Is this possible

I need to be able to do this. DVR needs to be accessible via Unix / Mac with a GUI based interface. Is this possible, if so how?

It looks for a web browser and certain version or better, not the Operating system. ActiveX has Cross-Platform Support on Macintosh, Windows, and UNIX.

Data nailed that one ... there must be a million devices that'll workas desired. Control via web browser is pretty much an industry standard now.

bill

If the ActiveX is written on a Windows Platform, how will it work on a Mac? Regardless of the browser, it is still a windows application that uses the Windows OS and Windows Objects, DLLs, etc.

If %Windows% doesnt exist then not alot of browser based ActiveX controls are going to work. An ActiveX control is still a windows program, only difference is it is compiled into a cab file to run in a browser - in the majority of cases. Alot of the time it is much quicker to just install the Client Software which will allow for more powerful features.

Only thing I know of that will work is Javascript Image Grab, such as used in the Video Insight, and Sanyo.

I dunno ... perhaps manufacturer's avoid proprietary constructs. All I know is that machines from Dead Micros, AT Video, AXIS, etc can be used by virtually any industry-standard browser on almost any machine.

bill

have you tried them on Macs though?

I work with these ActiveX Controls all the time, and I know how they work (rip them apart). The products you mentioned I havent worked with, but last time I checked the DM's IP machine, not the DVR, used Java which wil work on cross OS/Browser, but their standard DVRs still use a basic ActiveX Control. Axis is image grab (javascript).

ActiveX will ONLY work on Internet Explorer. I think you are confusing an ActiveX with Image Grab and Javascript/java.

If the mac you are using is simulating windows OS then it should work. But it will still need a browser OTHER than Netscape or Mozilla, and one that supports ActiveX.

If the activeX will work then so will the Client Software. The majority of them install the same files to the same locations, just a more skinned down version of the client software is all it is. You're lucky to get them working on most Windows machines

Edited by Guest

Mac has ActiveX controllers. And no, I have no use for PC based systems.

Edited by Guest

Lets see what results Data Comes back with first. Data I can PM/Email you some ActiveX sites to test when you are ready .. let me know .. thanks.

GE Security, GeoVision, Iview, Eclipse, for example.

Rory

I believe it'll work regardless of platform.

The device puts out video in an industry-standard format ... not Windows video, not Apple video. It is up to the browser to select the appropriate plug-in to load in order to render the data. IE happens to load ActiveX ... Apple, I believe, loads nothing; it contains what is needed. They're both reading the same format, just using a different tool to do it.

(I gotta admit, though ... I DO hope it turns out that in this too, Apple's been left out in the cold!)

Data's test results will certainly be interesting.

bill

They arnet just loading an AVI file, it is a program that reads video from the DVR in that DVRs format. You cant just grab video from a DVR without knowing the commands it is using, and they arent giving that code out. Its not a standard video format, it is dependent on that DVR.

An ActiveX is a container (Cab) that contains DLL Files, and programming code specific to that program, in the case of DVRs it is specific to the DVR it is made for. Files are downloaded to areas on your PC and the ActiveX uses Windows built in objects and components, as well as added ones by the Cab File, to utilize the video, and perform the other features the activeX may have, eg. Save Video, SnapShot, Play Files from the DVR, as well as streaming live video from the DVR.

I stopped making activeX controls due to the limitations with browsers and features, when I can have the client install full client software as quick as/faster than, downloading the activeX, and with much more features. Reason I made the Customized GUI for Geo is that is is limited being it is run within the browser, though the best thing is, im still using its browser ActiveX control .... PS. I created an activeX Control for browser based video for Kalatel DVRs (now GE) before Kalatel came out with theirs ..

But I too would like to know if he can get it to work at least on windows emulation or whatever mac has like that.

Ok, so lets say it does work, Which DVR would be best? I quoted the client for the Panasonic WJ-HD316A500 16 channel DVR. I will also have 2 PTZ cameras on this system. If this does not work, what should I do?

right you are ....

I actually looked at the HTML an Axis server delivers to the client browser. The code tests the browser. If it's IE, the ActiveX control is informed of the CLASSID and BaseCode (and a number of other parameters). If it's an Apple, no special provisions are made.

The Axis server is a linux machine (well, OK, a subset of linux), but Wintel machines and Apples, heck, even SUN Sparcs can connect to it and view the video.

Returning to my earlier comment, I believe the burden of compatibilty falls on the browser, not the server.

Best wishes,

bill

actually Axis is Image Grab using javascript, totally different from an ActiveX Control. If in IE it does download a basic control just so you dont have to watch the javascript at the bottom of the page, but it uses image grab, pulling images from the server. Trust me, with experience with full featured ActiveX Controls, normal ActiveX Controls for DVRs do unfortunately rely on the OS as well.

Basically, if you send me a Cab file from a DVR's ActiveX (they all use Cab Files), i can show you what the files are inside them, where they are installed when you click Ok to install, and what they are dependant on.

Well, it's gettin' pretty late here, Rory. I do kinda think we're discussing apples an' oranges here (no pun intended), but I'll give you the last word, I've gotta run.

I will leave, however, maintaining that the burden of compatibility falls on ... OK, the client (if you won't buy 'browser' are you OK with 'client'?), but that still means that I'm saying the burden is the user's machine not the server.

I mean even by virtue of the fact that you're telling me that Windows machines must be informed of the data characteristics for ActiveX, you seem to me to be admitting that the burden falls on the user's machine.

If windows needs to load, or otherwise inform ActiveX ... well, that's Windows' responsibility, not the server's.

OK .... gotta run ..... I have an opportunity that old men dare not pass up for fear they'll never see such an opportunity again ... not in this life anyway, if ya catch my drift.

Best wishes,

bill

He he he .. yeah i wont guess what you're running off too.

But what I basically mean is for most activeX controls to run, they require certain files which are only found on Winblows .. in other words when a developer is creating an ActiveX Control for a DVR they arent thinking of macs so they leave certain limitations in them such as certain file locations where they install their winblows DLL files, to the %Windows% directory. If Mac can emulate the winblows directory, and utilize DLLs and register OCX files, then it may work. This is just from what I have seen while utlizing ActiveX Controls and creating them myself ...

Its just like I cant create ASP scripts to run on a Mac Server, Id have to use Lasso. Why I cant use Visual Basic to make programs to run on Pocket PC 2003 (i need Visual Basic Pocket PC Edition) ... etc ..Certain things are cross browser and cross OS, such as javascript, java, Shockwave, but as an activeX developer and user, I dont see how they will work cross platform.

I'll be heading to that Mac tonight. He has a problem with it anyway. I've been trying to get him over to a PC Lappy. I'll be over there betwee 6-8 pm EST.

ActiveX Controls are windows only. Macs can not use an ActiveX control. ActiveX is a shell for an installer and requires API's that are only found in Windows. It's possible to write code that runs on Unix/Linux/Mac/Windows but only in theory. Even writing in C you will need to tweak the code for each OS.

Good Morning, Thomas.

re your comment "It's possible to write code that runs on Unix/Linux/Mac/Windows but only in theory" ....

Is that also true of HTML ? Does an Apple machine not understand

"

"

(Please understand, that was not a rhetorical question .... I'm actually asking a question here. Would an Apple machine render that code properly? I have zero experience with Apple machines ... indeed, I've never actually seen one)

Now admittedly, different machines may render HTML differently, but won't they both present pretty much the same interpretation?

It was my understanding that universality was the beauty of interpreted languages - so long as one avoids proprietary constructs, portability is assured. Indeed, I think the same is probably true of compiled languages as well ....

for instance, I would think that

" do {

whatever(it, takes);

}while(1);

"

would compile properly on any machine equipped with a standards-compliant compiler. Proprietary constructs are absent from that snippet of code. (incidentally, just for the record and for the programmers in the crowd, that code and the HTML above was properly indented but HTML has a problem handling whitespace chars)

ActiveX is one of those proprietary constructs that one occasionally (or even frequently, depending upon the nature of the program being written) encounters in programming. Regrettably, it is a construct that we in this biz run into every day.

Personally, I'm a C++ .NET freak. Scott McNealy and Java be damned, one glorious day .NET will slip the surly bonds of Microsoft and rule the world!

Best wishes,

bill

Bill, I thought they already ruled the world

Or may be not, since Linux is giving them a lot of problems Or may be there are better solutions out there other than what is avail from Microshaft?

Levon