eyecu

Is this possible

Levon,

this'll be my last note on the subject 'cuz I am kinda dragging this thread off topic.

Although I'm in Seattle, I don't work for Microsoft; never had and never will have the opportunity (I'd sell my soul to be a Microsoftie but they don't want old guys!).

That disclaimer having been said, let me say that in my opinion, now that they've significantly improved their operating system, I think they've got a pretty good product. And while my last note may have been a bit tongue-in-cheek, I DO think that .NET is a terrific product.

Indeed, aside from their operating systems of yore which sucked, I think many of their products were pretty darn good ... Excel, Word, and their compilers: C/C++ and (going back to the early days) FORTRAN, for example. Their assemblers were pretty darn good, too, and they've always had a good-to-great development environment. (Their current development environment is to die for!)

And when one considers the price ... Wow! what a great deal. You get all that for a hunerd an' twenny bux?

Still, there's a lot that's WONDERFUL about linux (its rock-solid stability for one) and it certainly is gaining the acceptance it deserves because it's so good. For the consumer, that's a good thing. A little competition will keep both parties healthy and keep new and better products coming to the marketplace.

OK .... I apologize to one and all for this diversion. I love software (been a programmer since '67), but I won't raise the software issue again.

Best wishes to all.

bill

First, HTML isn't code. It isn't translated into any kind of binary nor does it compile into anything. It's simply a markup language. It is to code as .pdfs are to excutables.

Now to stop being pedantic. Simple HTML will almost always render the same way. But once you move into the realm of CSS/JS/XHTML/etc...then each rendering engine will give you slightly differant results. Practical real world example:

Try our demo page ( www.demovi.com ) in Firefox. It works. Now try it in Knoquer. It doesn't work as well. The problem being in Knoq's rendering engine. It's slow when you combine jpegs and JS. I suspect this will be fixed when they get all of the Safari fixes backported.

That's a simple combination using common elements. Once you start talking about CSS you run into the pitfalls of no one supporting all of it.

Simple C and C++ should generally work on any platform but even then differant compilers can give differant results. Add in quirks of the OS and trying to get at the networking stack, how differant systems handle permissions, etc and you will have to do some work porting it. If it's straight C then it shouldn't be a huge deal. But a big deal in a complicated program can take hundred of developer hours.

And then we run into GUI elements. Unless you code them all yourself you'll be using some sort of toolkit. QT is cross platform but not always friendly.

And the last step, supporting multiple OSs. Not fun, not easy and not cheap.

Basically if you use a DVR that doesnt use an ActiveX but instead uses image grab with javascript, it should work, like Sanyo, Video Insight, Axis, etc.

Not compatiable for OSX. Also a discontinued product. Please follow the links in the article next time.

I think also when that was available, it would have required people to compile a separate plugin binary for the Mac, using only a limited subset of the libaries normally available to Windows ActiveX programs.

The strategy of Microsoft is to make sure that ActiveX ONLY runs on Windows, and hopefully only on IE. The idea is to force developers to write plugins in ActiveX. Since the majority of users still use Windows and IE, and Windows XP no longer has a Java virtual machine by default, developers don't have much other choice. Then since developers make websites relying on ActiveX, people are forced to use Windows and IE if they want to be able to view those websites. This is one of the main reasons why Microsoft can remain so dominant without having the best software.

DVR needs to be accessible via Unix / Mac with a GUI based interface.

Dedicated Micros says this. Images are viewed remotely using Dedicated Micros FREE network viewer software, or via a standard Internet browser. Mac and Linux users can access the unit via web pages using Netscape 4.78 browsers.

Using the included network viewer software, recordings can be downloaded as industry standard JPEG images or AVI movies for review

So does this mean that it will work?