pizzaHEMI

DIN Converters....where to buy

Does anyone manufacturer a connector that will convert BNC to other types of connectors such as PIN or CAT5 for use with converting security cameras to other systems. For example, I currently have cameras that have 5-pin connectors and the new system requires a BNC connection at the monitor end.

Best Regards,

Steven Negri

Hi Steven.

There are some ready-made adapters to and from BNC, for instance, BNC to 'F' connectors, BNC to RCA, etc, but I hafta admit that I haven't run across any ready-mades to convert between BNC and Cat5 or DIN. However, if you can't find what you need, you can always make your own.

We frequently make our own cables which convert between BNC and another connector-type because we manufacture a camera, the Predator, and use a single cable to carry power, video, and serial communications. At the backbox, we terminate the video line at a surface-mount BNC connector. Frequently that single cable running between the backbox and the camera is CAT5 because of the number of lines CAT5 offers.

And we occasionally provide cables running between the backbox and the client's connection that provide additional conversion between our BNC and whatever the client specifies.

Bottom line is that if you can't find what you need, make your own ... it's easy enuf.

Here in Seattle I rely on Connector World ( http://connectorworldsupply.com/ ) to provide the connectors and BNC adapters when available, and then if I have time, I use those connectors/adapters in building the cables myself, or farm the work out to Redmond Cable ( http://www.redmondcable.com/ ).

now that I've re-read your post, I see the part about a 5-pin connector. 5-pin: that seems strange ... I would have thought that was S-video, but usually S-video is 4-pin (or 7 if combined with composite video) I haven't seen an adapter for that although that certainly doesn't mean they aren't in the marketplace. Perhaps some o' the others here have seen such an adapter.

Anyway, once you know the pin-out, making a conversion cable is pretty easy, and pinouts for the more common connector-types may be found on the 'net. Google is your friend. (Google, for instance, on [s-video pinout] or [5-pin pinout]).

Best wishes,

bill

Steve:

I believe you may have a camera with a digital or some sort of proprietary output. These are typical for "closed" type systems you can find at Costco or Sams Club. The cameras are designed to only work with the recording device they are packaged with. I don't think you can convert this to an traditional analog CCTV signal.

Let me know if you can. We run into these systems now and then in the field.

Alan

Steven, which brand and the product code are these cameras?

As alanb stated, if it is a "closed" type of system, chances are that you can not convert or to add anything else except what the package components available...

I am saying "chances", because were able to convert certain type of systems before (Bosch sepcifically)... The brand and the product code will determine if you can do it or not.

Levon

I take it the term 'closed' in the expression 'closed systems' means there are no drawings showing the pinout, huh? Is there any way we could 'break in' to identify the pins ... like opening both the connector and the camera to visual inspection (and a meter)?

If we could break in, it would be interesting to see if all five pins are used or perhaps only four, and putting a meter on the lines might allow us to determine which two are power.

You know, if we can't get the information we need any other way, then with only a little extra effort, it might be possible to breakout this connector by temporarily placing a terminal board between this cable's connector and its associated receptor.

With that in place, we could use a meter to determine which two, if any, of the four or five lines are power. If we find power, then we could look at the remaining two or three lines to determine which two are video. That would provide the information Steven needs to do his conversion.

It'd help if Steven could tell us if this 5-pin cable is the only cable running to the camera, or if power is supplied in a different cable. Right now, we only know of five pins, so that tells us this is probably a pretty simple camera ... probably just power and video (i.e. no serial control, no discrete ambient light sensor, no microphone, etc. - we oughtta be able to identify the pin assignments)

Boy, you weren't kidding ... life IS more difficult in a closed system without drawings.

bill

Edited by Guest

"Closed Systems" means that the manufacturer uses specialized pin configuration to transfer power, video and data and that the only way you can add anything within this system is to buy the additional components, i.e. cameras, monitors, quads, dvrs etc from the same manufacturer.... No drawings or any information available to figure out any way to use some other piece of hardware.

Bosch as an example has this type of product line called Observation Systems.. I also know that many other manufacturers came up with their own packages...

I personally do not like anyone of them, as it restricts on expansion of your choice of hardware and rather forces you to use only what they have... Think of a network that works only with a one manufacturer components and that it will not work with any other brand makes...

I think Steven has a "closed system" based CCTV package. Now, dependent who the manufacturer is, we may be able to get the pin outs or how to add a different product lines...

Levon

Clearly, yours is the preferred method, Levon. Let's hope that Steven can provide the manfacturer and model information, and that we can find the drawings somewhere. If that ain't doable, then maybe we oughtta consider reverse-engineering as suggested in my previous note.

But clearly, yours is the better approach. So whattaya say, Steven ... can ya help us out here with some additional info?

bill

Okay.....there are 6 pins.....I asked an employee to look before I posted and there was an incorrect count.

1) The model using the 6-pin is a system that was YES purchased at Sams and is marketed by Lorex. I need to adapt their 6-pin to a BNC since all of the DVR's I find are BNC.

2) The other system is a Samsung and the cameras are wired with phone style jacks.

I know a cluster fudge and on a limited budget being a small business.

Hope this helps you help me.

Steve

Hemi,

I think Levon had the better idea ... try to find the manufacturer's documentation. That being the case, I Googled "Lorex camera" and came up with ( http://lorexstore.strategicvista.com/product_category.aspx?cat_id=83 ). Wondered if you could take a look at that site and try to identify your camera from the list of Lorex cameras. With a model number, we can refine our search terms for documentation which will provide pinouts ... then, with that information, you can make the connector you need.

Yet another idea ... can you call the dealer (Sam's) and see if they can provide documentation?

Same thing with the Samsung camera although with "phone-style jacks", I would think that might be a bit easier - depending on what is meant by "phone-style" (i.e. number of conductors).

However, I think it only prudent to inject a note of caution here ... I'm not as sanguine as I was earlier. I have no doubt of our ability to eventually identify the wiring and hijack the video for you, BUT .... that video is currently going somewhere: a backbox, a system controller, sumthin'. We can't just reroute your video or that existing functionality will come to a screeching halt. We might have to splice (and possibly splice and convert) the lines. That in itself isn't so difficult, I'm certain that any one of us on this thread could do this in our own shop, but doing it remotely, without being able to see the equipment we're working on, could be tricky.

But let's think positive and take the next step: get the pin assignments one way or another. Levon's method is the the best first pass. If we just can't find documentation, then we can consider the next step. So, can ya take a look and see if you can identify your camera by model number?

PS: is this what your camera's talkin' to? ( http://lorexstore.strategicvista.com/product.aspx?id=1491 )

PPS: NOW I see what you meant by 'closed' system, Levon .... 22 pages and no description of pin assignment - let's hope Hemi's camera manual defines pinout ( http://www.smarthome.com/manuals/7544n.pdf )

Best wishes,

bill

I will try and secure the pin outs by calling them tomorrow.....the unit that I own is no longer on the site....

Thanks guys for the persistence.

Steve

Steve, do not hold your breath on this... Certain manufacturer do this purposely so that any addition or change will require you to purchase only their hardware...

I think talking to Sams Club will be total waste of your time. The manufacturer will not give you this information, as they know that you want to "break" into their design with something else...

If it is a 6-pin as you stated, chances are that one of the pairs is the power, second pair is the video and third pair is a data wires (sometimes they use this to transfer voice). This is not a magic, it's just a wiring system they use to transfer all the power, the video and the data.

Now, if you really have to do this knowing the fact the manufacturer will not give you the diagrams, then roll your sleeves and lets do this one bit at a time, if you are up for it...

You will need a video passive balun, volt/ohm/current meter, few cutters and connectors....

The key when you are testing these cables is to find the voltage pair – most likely it is a 12VDC or 24VAC... With voltmeter, test these pairs to see which one contains this voltage. Once found, mark it as your voltage.

Then, have the passive balun on hand while testing the other pairs. Make sure that you have another camera on hand with its own power supply if possible or use the identified pair as your power source.

Once you connect the second pair through the passive balun to the live camera, watch if you have the video and if not, then it is the third pair...

That is it!

We have done this type of conversion for one of our customers who was using Bosch combo equipment and it worked like a charm. Chances are that if you feel this is difficult and that you may not be able to pull through, then do not do it... Also remember, any modifications to the cables resulting to a damage of the equipment will render your equipment out of warranty, so be very careful...

Good luck!

Levon

Thanks for the assist....and since I am lelectronic adept I am sure I can complete the conversion. However, Since I have never used a BNC connector, how many connections does a BNC accept?

Thanks Again

BTW....I have another post seeking advice on a 6-8 camera DVR with Tri/multiplex. I had one reply for a Samsung....any suggestions.

Thanks again

Steve, you use BNC connector only with RG-59 coax and you can not use it with any pair of wires... If you intent to use your wiring that came with your system, the only way to do it is with video passive baluns... Otherwise, it will not work!

As for a DVR, I can suggest to stay with embedded system. It is simpler to operate and easy to work with. May not have all the bell and whistles that PC based systems come with, but they are durable and last longer..

Do you know how many days of recording do you need? There are many to choose from, but I am sure cost is the factor, therefore one that I can recommend is this one:

http://sanyo.com/industrial/security/digital_video_recorders/index.cfm?productID=450

Let me know if you need anything else.

Levon

Levon,

I think 'hemi ain't gonna have the luxury of RG-59 coax ... at least not without some additional effort on his part, but he may still need to connect to a BNC connector on the device.

One option (among many) is to connect the two wires he identifies as video & video GND to an RCA plug (taking care not to cross the wires, thus grounding the video signal!), then use an inexpensive RCA-to-BNC adapter (generally $3.95 or less in Seattle). Voila! There's the conversion between the two wires he has and the BNC he needs.

Indeed, I used that procedure in reverse to interface a WATEC 902H camera to a Guardian 2000 camera system.

However, my application was easier in that I was interfacing a camera to the system; 'Hemi's application is slightly more complex in that he is introducing a new device, so I don't think he wants to simply cut and re-route the video&video gnd wires, he wants to splice them .... he now wants video to go to BOTH the system controller/display AND his new DVR, so he must keep the video flowing to the system controller/display while now feeding the DVR.

re DVRs, there's a million good ones out there, and many at affordable prices. My recommendation? if they have any left, I'd go with ATV's brand new, fully warranteed discontinued specials ( http://www.atvideo.com/Sales/disconprod.asp ). I've used these DVRs on remote wildlife applications. They work well; the price is not only right, it's incomparable(if there are any left), and they're new and warranteed.

One final comment before retiring this thread (or at least this post) ... it has been my experience that for splicing wires, I think 3M's Scotchlok IDC connectors are the way to go. Cheap, reliable, small, and easy. I recently used'em for the first time when adding wires to PELCO's 37-pin connector, and again up in the housing some 15 feet up the mast. I'm told they're widely available.

Bon Chance, 'Hemi.

bill