krassyg

Synology NAS based system

I need to propose a 5-6 camera for remote surveillance of a weekend home. 1 camera for the front gate, 4-5 cameras around the house. Monitoring will be on a PC or iDevice. The customer wants to mount the cameras on the trees surrounding the house and wants them as descreet as possible(except the front gate). The trees are massive, 5-6 feet base of trunk in diameter. I am thinking of proposing a Synology NAS since the customer also has two separate hi-end home theaters, but no local storage for the DLNA devices(Samsung Smart TVs, Pioneer network capable receiver, Oppo BDP-93, etc.) This way I can kill two birds with one stone, give him a surveillance solution and a full featured audio/video media server. The equipment I am proposing is as follows:

Synology NVR:

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS411%2BII&lang=us

or

http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS1512%2B&lang=us

Cameras:

Front gate:

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=fd8162

or

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=sd8362e

with

separate IR iluminator for the gate area if he wants PTZ

Secondary cameras:

http://www.vivotek.com/products/model.php?network_camera=ip8362

I am also thinking of hiding the cameras in small bird house enclosures or make a small wood box and paint it the same color as the trees in order to have the cameras blend in better. I can also put some thermal insulation inside to provide more protection against the elements(about 50 miles north of New York, pretty cold winters).

Conduit will be provided by the contractor.

What do you guys think? What are the potential problems? Any other cameras that I should be looking in this price range(have to be compatible with the synology NAS),1080p

Thanks in advance

I'd be leery of running both systems off one NAS - I foresee camera dropouts or glitches if they start streaming a 1080p movie or two... or vice-versa, dropouts in HD movie playback if the cameras start throwing a lot of traffic. Either way, check the read/write rates on the selected systems and go with the beefiest system that fits the budget, to be on the safe side. If their movies stutter during a windstorm because the cameras are picking up all kinds of movement, it will naturally be your fault

That aside, looking at the specs of both those units, they APPEAR to indicate support up to only WXGA resolution (1280x800) - at least, they only list max framerates for that resolution. Their bandwidth calculator supports up to 1920x1080, but I can't find anything else that actually states the maximum resolutions supported. If you plan to use any cameras over 1MP, you might want to confirm with Synology directly.

I use a Synology 211J to capture motion on one camera (Panasonic 502), in addition to other VMS. Playback is a hassle and slow, only useful for capture and having stuff archived. Has been reliable though in this simple situation. Can't believe what they try to get for the licenses, there is better out there...

I use a Synology 211J to capture motion on one camera (Panasonic 502), in addition to other VMS. Playback is a hassle and slow, only useful for capture and having stuff archived. Has been reliable though in this simple situation. Can't believe what they try to get for the licenses, there is better out there...

What do you suggest as an alternative? I have used the 211J and it was slow because of the 128Mb ram and the CPU. The DS1512+ is a dual core 2.13 with 1GB RAM.

You could take a look at QNAP's offerings as well - both manufacturers have demo pages on their websites where you can try out the VMS for yourself.

What do you suggest as an alternative? I have used the 211J and it was slow because of the 128Mb ram and the CPU. The DS1512+ is a dual core 2.13 with 1GB RAM.

I have a Synology and I'm with Mike_va. It is very basic and the last time I looked was $50 per camera. For that price I'd look at Milestone. Blue Iris works for me. The biggest drawback for me to BI is no multi-camera playback.